Please read and Please pray

Currently we are having some very big financial problems that threaten our living arrangements. It doesn’t seem like ROCKET SCIENCE: just work, get paid, and pay your bills and mortgage—if one doesn’t veer from that “plan”, then all should go smoothly.

I have had poor mental health that has made keeping a teaching position difficult, and my husband owns his business as a self-employed atty.  I stay at home with our youngest.  When we decided to add on to our family, his business was running smoothly---we did not live high, but living to pay our bills is a definite luxury. For two years I was able to pay on time for everything---- Everytime I paid the bills on time, I praised God and offered Him thanks. After previous years of financial stress and foreclosure, paying bills on time made me feel a sense of dignity.

Now we are going the same route again with threats of foreclosure. He knows what our legal rights and limits are—I don’t need advice. I am just crying my head off right now because it is the same old stuff again—We built our credit back up and were able to buy a modest yet decent home (yes—really modest—elegance does not matter to me) but now we just might lose it! I ALSO have to live with the constant reminder that my sister said “why do they want to buy another home? They will just lose it…” She told my mother that, and my mother passed that on to me. We should have lived forever in a home provided by our in-laws, according to them. It was not a good living arrangement—believe me.

Please don’t tell me that I am stupid. Please don’t—I am sorry that I am in this mess again—and I don’t know how to cope with it. I mostly feel sorry for my children that I am their parent. They deserve so much better than the insecurity we have given them, my two oldest 13 and 14. We thought that at least we were going to offer them some security from now on—and offer my littlest one the security my oldest didn’t have.

Forgive me—I don’t know where to turn. I have nobody to talk to right now.

My prayers for you. If I may offer a few thoughts…

If you were in financial trouble now because you’d been ill with a purely physical illness there is no way you’d be beating yourself up about it.

Mental ill-health is just as real and just as debilitating as anything physical - unfortunately society doesn’t like to believe so and doesn’t like to take mental health as seriously as it deserves to be taken.

I’m certain you’ve never asked or wanted to be unable to work, keep that uppermost in your mind.

Pray to St Dymphna, patroness of mental, emotional and nervous disorders.

And to the Holy Family - who had to uproot themselves suddenly from Bethlehem, travel to a new country and set up there - and then not so many years later to undergo the same in reverse and return to Nazareth. I’m sure that would’ve been more than slightly financially straining for them too, so they’ve been where you are.

Praying for you, LISA Annette,

Sometimes things just plain go wrong financially, and there’s no earthly reason for it as far as you can tell, even when you try your very hardest and follow all the rules.

In the past, I’ve been unemployed to the point that I don’t believe in job security … But I like to think God put me in that place so that I would trust more in Him than in this world.

From Today’s Liturgy of the Hours:

Prayers and Intercessions

Let us cry out to Christ, who hears the prayers of those who hope in him:

• Lord, we praise you; in you we hope.
    Lord, you are rich in compassion:
    we thank you for the enormous love you have shown us.
    United with the Father you govern and conserve the world:
    renew all things by the power of the Holy Spirit.
    Open our eyes today:
    make us perceive your wonders.
    Today you are calling us to serve you:
    may your grace shine through all that we do for our brethren.

Our Father, who art in Heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those that trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

O God, you have made us guardians and cultivators of the earth, you have sent the sun to shine on us and help us.
Grant that today we may work for your glory
and for the good of our neighbour.

Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever.
Amen.

~~ the phoenix

:signofcross:

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death, Amen.

Thank you—I am feeling better now—I have felt very ashamed of having mental health problems, though my husband has been very kind to me in this regard.

Meditating upon the life of the Holy Family is a good suggestion----can you imagine “no room for them at the inn” ?? I bet if poor St. Joseph slipped them some “big coinage”, they would have whisked the Blessed Mother to 4 star accomodations. When I think of the Nativity, I think of all that might be beautiful ( if I just seek) hidden in ugly circumstances…thank you, thank you for this consideration. God bless you too!:slight_smile:

Thanks for listening.

Thank you for your perspective—I hear so much that others have less than favorable financial circumstances also(I went to a prayer group tonight and heard all the stories:eek: !) I so don’t want to be a complainer, but I burst at the seams sometimes. Hearing that others have such faith gives me perspective that I can have the same outlook.

Thank you for your prayers from the Liturgy of the Hours, also. God Bless you too!

Thank you—I will look at this closely too, in prayer. Thank you and God Bless you!

Thank you! May the Blessed Mother keep you also in her prayers. God Bless you.

I’m praying for you,with mental health issues myself,sometimes we just need to cry and to let it out,DON’T be ashamed,its just another illness,MAY GOD LOVE AND BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY,in JESUS name I pray,will be saying the chaplet for your family at three tomorrow

Keeping you in my daily prayers. :gopray:

Thanks for the prayers of the mercy chaplet—I apperciate your kind words also:) I will pray for you too!

THank you for the NT reading from Romans—I will certainly not give up on prayer. I will also keep ALL of you all in my prayers (I feel like a prayer hog here :blushing::slight_smile: God Bless you!

:signofcross: Praying for you to have peace and for your financial troubles to be resolved. Also praying for peace in your extended family situation.

Lisa Annette I am praying for you. I know how it is to experience fianancial difficulties. And I have been depressed so I have experience with mental health issues as well. Meditate on the Holy Family, as someone else suggested. And trust in Jesus and his love and mercy. He is always with you and you are never alone. God blessings to you and your family…

Tina

God less you and your family (Joey and Rosemary) I appreciate your kind words and prayers also.

I will also keep you in my prayers, Tina–God BLess you always.:slight_smile:

Will keep you and your family situation in daily prayer

God Bless you too, BarbaraTherese ( one of my daughters is named Celine Therese:) ) I appreciate your sifting through the different posts to find and respond to mine.

Lisa Annette,

I will keep you in my daily prayers. I pray that the Lord will ease your financial woes and be your light and guardian against depression. May His angels wrap you in their wings and comfort you with His great love and compassion.

Love to you in Christ, :slight_smile:

Elizabeth

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.