Please say prayers from me and my sick pet

I have a pett that keeps getting sick. At over $100 a pop I can’t afford to take him to the vent and because of financial concerns I can’t charge visits anymore. I’ve already done that. I’ve taken him to the vet and spent more on his health care then mine. I’m very depressed about this. I’ve got bills everywhere with no way to pay them and my pet is sick on top of it and not eating. God just keeps handing me more debt and I’m lost as to what to do. I already working 2 jobs to get by. I’ve looked for cheaper vets and there are none. Vets make a killing I tell you. My office visit to the doctor is $25 to take my pet it costs $40 just for the vet to look at him then add meds or tests. Please say a prayer that my pet will get well I can’t get him medical care anymore. I feel like GOD is just handing me all the suffering he can. No Joke.

Sierrah, my heart goes out to you. It is so awful to have our pets be sick.

Since you have a vet you’ve gone to in the past, I assume you have some kind of relationship. I would call and remind them of your prior visits. Tell them your pet is sick and you are without funds, and ask them if they could help you out in some way or if they know anyone who can.

I am going to pray for you and your pet… btw, is it a cat? a dog? Can you let us know?

Multiple numbers of cats have owned me over the years, as well as dogs.

I will pray for you and your pet.

It’s embarassing the amount of money I’ve spent vet bills for a dog and a cat in the past few years. My own office visits aren’t that expensive.

Cat: reoccuring painful lump on the chin, terminal kidney disease caused by China’s tainted flour.

Dog: continual allergies and clogged sinuses. Low thyroid.

Sorry I was really depressed yesterday it was all just too much. I ended up with migraine that made me nausious too. It’s seems sometimes you just can’t come out ahead anywhere no matter what you do. The cats better at least for now.:shrug:

Ask them if they offer something called “care credit.” My understanding is that it’s a no-interest credit card (for a certain period of time, anyway) specifically for vet bills. However, I’m sure once the interest kicks in it’ll be sky high because the types of people that would need it also tend to be the ones that don’t pay their cards off. If you’re already in serious financial trouble I wouldn’t recommend this.

I know you’re having a difficult time of it now and are really frustrated, but most vets do NOT “make a killing” - of course some doctors (just like with any other profession) are unscrupulous and will charge way too much or do a slack job, but a $40 office fee is quite reasonable. Their job is way more difficult than a human doctor’s is because their patients can’t tell them what’s wrong and have a tendency to bite! :eek: Also, they’re responsible for knowing the ins and outs of multiple species, all of which have different measures of “normal.” They also work longer hours and in the case of large animal vets, in less than ideal environmental conditions. To me, this blows away the stuff the vast majority of human doctors deal with.

Comparatively, human doctors are way more expensive. Remember you need to factor in how much you pay every month for insurance (cheaper if you’re part of a group plan but otherwise quite expensive - a handful of years back I was on an individual plan, medical only, no prescription coverage, no history of medical problems, and it was 200 bucks a month!!), and you pay regardless of how often (if ever) you set foot in an office. If you don’t have insurance, you’ll probably pay around 100 per visit, maybe a little less if you go to a walk-in clinic.

It sucks when animals need care because they can’t exactly tell anyone what’s wrong. Symptoms like lethargy, depressed appetite, vomiting, diarrhea - those can mean a TON of things, and if it’s something that doesn’t clear up on its own or after a round of antibiotics, it’s pretty much impossible to figure out without diagnostic tests.

Obviously I’m not a vet, and as I have no idea what you’ve talked to your vet about, I’m going to give some basic advice that you may have heard. Please call your vet and ask about this stuff if it hasn’t been discussed yet.

If he’s not eating, he’s also probably not drinking. While food is obviously important, water is MUCH more important. If you can, get a syringe (dropper or squirt) and get some water down his throat. Talk to the vet about being shown how to give subcutaneous fluids - these are much better than plain water. If your animal will let you do it it’ll be cheaper than bringing him in, but if you can’t, the techs or assistants can administer fluids and it will still be much cheaper than an office visit because you’re not seeing the doctor. Ask if force feeding could be an option (mix some canned wet food, or meat baby food with water and use the syringe to squirt it down his throat). Find out what else you could do to make him comfortable at home - it’s great to get water and food down his throat but is it worth it if it’s super stressful for the animal?

I am in no way trying to be harsh and uncaring, but please keep in mind that most animals are very stoic. They try to hide pain and sickness as long as possible. If you can’t get your animal to eat or drink, and you abso-positively can’t afford any more bills, please talk to the vet about euthanasia. It’s hard to make that decision because you love him, but it isn’t right for him to starve to death. :frowning:

And of course, praypraypray! :thumbsup:

oh good, I’m glad to hear!

sometimes it’s hard to know how much is too much with our beloved pets. the catechism says this:

2416 Animals are God’s creatures. He surrounds them with his providential care. By their mere existence they bless him and give him glory.[196] **Thus men owe them kindness. **We should recall the gentleness with which saints like St. Francis of Assisi or St. Philip Neri treated animals.

2418 It is contrary to human dignity to cause animals to suffer or die needlessly. **It is likewise unworthy to spend money on them that should as a priority go to the relief of human misery. **One can love animals; one should not direct to them the affection due only to persons.

I am very sorry to hear about the stress you are under. I just said a prayer for you and your beloved pet. I believe it would be in your best interests, and your pet's best interests, to make a prompt visit to the vet for a proper diagnosis. If you explain your financial situation to the vet, I am sure you can work something out. If the vet is unwilling and or unable to cut the cost perhaps he can bill you and you can work out some sort of payment plan. Remember this is just for the diagnosis, not the treatment. If your pet is older and the diagnosis is grim or terminal, then there is no point to spend money on a treatment - unless the treatment is to make the animal comfortable, such as IV fluids. Keep in mind that euthanasia is expensive. If the animal is not in pain and is simply passing from old age, then it would be peaceful for your pet to pass at home. That is an option. This advice is coming from a fellow pet lover, I have two (young) cats of my own.

I just said a prayer for your pet. I can sympathize, as my dog was diagnosed with liver cancer a few weeks ago after suffering bad seizures (the tumors caused her glucose levels to drop to dangerously low levels). She is on medications now, but I know it’s just a matter of time.

As far as not eating, have you discussed appetite stimulants with your vet? Maybe your pet needs a special diet? Also, in my experience with my other dog, loss of appetite can be a signal of kidney problems. Have you discussed that with your vet?

[quote="insideitall, post:5, topic:227970"]
Ask them if they offer something called "care credit." My understanding is that it's a no-interest credit card (for a certain period of time, anyway) specifically for vet bills. However, I'm sure once the interest kicks in it'll be sky high because the types of people that would need it also tend to be the ones that don't pay their cards off. If you're already in serious financial trouble I wouldn't recommend this.

I know you're having a difficult time of it now and are really frustrated, but most vets do NOT "make a killing" - of course some doctors (just like with any other profession) are unscrupulous and will charge way too much or do a slack job, but a $40 office fee is quite reasonable. Their job is way more difficult than a human doctor's is because their patients can't tell them what's wrong and have a tendency to bite! :eek: Also, they're responsible for knowing the ins and outs of multiple species, all of which have different measures of "normal." They also work longer hours and in the case of large animal vets, in less than ideal environmental conditions. To me, this blows away the stuff the vast majority of human doctors deal with.

Comparatively, human doctors are way more expensive. Remember you need to factor in how much you pay every month for insurance (cheaper if you're part of a group plan but otherwise quite expensive - a handful of years back I was on an individual plan, medical only, no prescription coverage, no history of medical problems, and it was 200 bucks a month!!), and you pay regardless of how often (if ever) you set foot in an office. If you don't have insurance, you'll probably pay around 100 per visit, maybe a little less if you go to a walk-in clinic.

It sucks when animals need care because they can't exactly tell anyone what's wrong. Symptoms like lethargy, depressed appetite, vomiting, diarrhea - those can mean a TON of things, and if it's something that doesn't clear up on its own or after a round of antibiotics, it's pretty much impossible to figure out without diagnostic tests.

Obviously I'm not a vet, and as I have no idea what you've talked to your vet about, I'm going to give some basic advice that you may have heard. Please call your vet and ask about this stuff if it hasn't been discussed yet.

If he's not eating, he's also probably not drinking. While food is obviously important, water is MUCH more important. If you can, get a syringe (dropper or squirt) and get some water down his throat. Talk to the vet about being shown how to give subcutaneous fluids - these are much better than plain water. If your animal will let you do it it'll be cheaper than bringing him in, but if you can't, the techs or assistants can administer fluids and it will still be much cheaper than an office visit because you're not seeing the doctor. Ask if force feeding could be an option (mix some canned wet food, or meat baby food with water and use the syringe to squirt it down his throat). Find out what else you could do to make him comfortable at home - it's great to get water and food down his throat but is it worth it if it's super stressful for the animal?

I am in no way trying to be harsh and uncaring, but please keep in mind that most animals are very stoic. They try to hide pain and sickness as long as possible. If you can't get your animal to eat or drink, and you abso-positively can't afford any more bills, please talk to the vet about euthanasia. It's hard to make that decision because you love him, but it isn't right for him to starve to death. :(

And of course, praypraypray! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

The vets always wants to do expensive tests that cost usually $100 a pop...mostly over that. I can't afford that. The office visit is hard enough it may be reasonable but it's still hard to manage on a income that is fixed. The frustrating thing is when he gets sick he hasn't been deathly ill just ill enough to be ontrack for that. If I don't take him to the vet and he get worse it costs more if I don't it seems to be prolonged. This is his second outbreak with the UTI in the last month. He seems to stay well a week then gets sick again. If it's his time to go I'm ok with that. I do love him a lot but I also realize at 14 he's had a good life at the same time I don't what him to suffer.

He’s on a special diet already. He seems to lost interest in the wet food which he needs and only wants the dry food which makes him ill. At the vets direction right now I’m giving him whatever he’ll eat so he eats. He better now but I’m afraid as soon as he’s off meds he’ll just get sick again. I don’t have the heart to watch him suffer.

I don’t feel I love my cat too much. I know he’s just an animal. I care for him a lot but not as I would for a human. I consider my cats family but not replacements for humans.

Thanks for all your prayers. The cat is better for now. I only wish is God would take him quickly if he want to take him and not have him suffer. He’s still on meds though so we’ll see what happens. I have a lot of other issues that have been cropping up lately. I don’t know the answers. My path on lifes journey is a little rough right now. I feel like God has left me I guess. When I don’t go to church worse stuff happens when I do it’s just as painful. God bless everyone and who knows maybe something good with happen for us today. :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.