Please share conversion stories--converts from Orthodoxy

I am interested in hearing about conversion stories about people who converted from Orthodox Christianity or Judaism to Catholicism. Please do not share any other conversion stories.

In particular, I want to hear what drew you to the Catholic faith and how your life changed after becoming a Catholic.

I’m not a convert, but since no one has replied yet… I suggest you go to www.chnetwork.org
it’s the coming home network and they have many stories and even sort them by what people are converting from. :slight_smile:

I have not personally met anyone who has renounced Orthodoxy for Roman Catholicism. In recent years, the trend seems to be in the opposite direction.

James Likoudis, who was the son of Greek Orthodox immigrant parents, claims to have been attracted to the Roman Church since he was a young boy living in New York. He has since converted to Roman Catholicism and established a reputation as an anit-Orthodox polemicist.

Some of his writings may be viewed here::
credo.stormloader.com/jlindex.htm

He was interviewed on The Journey Home::
youtube.com/watch?v=cuK1eWDHZTg

'Sakya

I would not use the term conversion for a person who leaves Holy Orthodoxy to the Catholic Church. Conversion refers to conversion to Christ. It could be used for someone leaving Judaism to Catholicism. It should not be used for an Orthodox becoming a Catholic.

Why are conversions from Judaism and Orthodoxy being lumped together in this thread?

Even if one moves from Roman Catholicism to Eastern Catholicism, in my opinion and experience, it is a conversion. In fact, even those who are already Roman Catholics but have been nominal for so long and just rediscovered their own faith, it is a conversion. Conversion doesn’t have to be a move from one religion to the next, much like changing citizenship. The fact that one has the light of Christ shine in them after blocking it out for so long is already a conversion, regardless is one moves religions or not.

So we Roman Catholics don’t have the light of Christ shining in us?

No, that’s not what he’s saying.

“Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief.” Conversion is a life-long process for all of us, as we try to convert our hearts from what they are to what they should be. Perhaps for the sake of this thread, we should use a phrase like “changing rites.” And if you think that sucks, feel free to suggest your own.

I don't think thats what CTG is saying. Regardless Catholic/Orthodox visa-versa your gonna believe you have found a deeper understanding of the objective truth. Otherwise the reason for any change would be suspect, no?

[quote="GaryTaylor, post:9, topic:302611"]
I don't think thats what CTG is saying. Regardless Catholic/Orthodox visa-versa your gonna believe you have found a deeper understanding of the objective truth. Otherwise the reason for any change would be suspect, no?

[/quote]

[quote="Binary, post:8, topic:302611"]
No, that's not what he's saying.

"Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief." Conversion is a life-long process for all of us, as we try to convert our hearts from what they are to what they should be. Perhaps for the sake of this thread, we should use a phrase like "changing rites." And if you think that sucks, feel free to suggest your own.

[/quote]

I'm sorry I crossed posts with you. :)

Isn’t it? I wonder how you are able to read his mind.

Conversion is changing ffrom non-belief to Christianity or a non-Christian religion to Christianity. No doubt other faiths use the term too. It isn’t about changing from Christian church or ecclesial community to another. In this sense I suppose we could say it has a technical meaning rather than it’s everyday use. I shall continue to use the term in the way the Church uses it. If you want to use it another way that is your choice.

Because it is very clearly not what he was saying.

He was saying it could be considered a conversion going from a nominal follower to an actual follower. He used Roman Catholicism as an example since the thread is already about converting TO Roman Catholicism. The comment would be just as valid if he was talking about Lutherans, Orthodox, Unitarians (well, maybe that’s pushing it), or whatever.

You’ll notice the RC to EC example was prefaced with “In my experience”, meaning that is what he personally learned from such an experience.

That is not how it reads to me.

I don’t know what you missed in my post that the others didn’t. If one is nominal in the faith then how can one have the light of Christ in you? Sure, you’re baptized, and you are physically present at Mass every Sunday. But if you don’t live as Christ lives, then it is just lip service. Many people, especially cradles, experience this in any Church (RC, EC, EO). What I am saying is if someone rediscovers their faith, then it is a conversion experience even if they do not leave the Church they are in (I did say that, how can you have missed it?).

Since three people understood it that way I intended it to be… :shrug:

Perhaps my feeble mind was not able to grasp what you were saying.

Conversion

I hope this is not a source of confusion. But I have recently been reading of the conversion of Benedictine Father Gabriil Bunge from Roman Catholic church where he was apparent a well known author and theologian of patristical writings to Holy Orthodoxy.

Fr. Gabriel Bunge – Benedictine monk, well-respected patristic scholar, and author of the book Earthen Vessels: The Practice of Personal Prayer According to the Patristic Tradition was a Benedictine monk in Switzerland who had been living the eremitical life since 1980. As a Patristics scholar, he has contributed many articles and books to numerous spiritual and monastic journals.
On August 27, 2010 Fr. Gabriel converted to Orthodoxy in the presence of Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk and Metropolitan Kallistos of Diokleia during an All-Night Vigil at the Church of the ”Joy of All Who Sorrow” Icon in Bolshaya Ordynka Street in Moscow.
Metropolitan Hilarion said to him, ”You have been a Catholic, but an Orthodox deep in your heart. Today, before the All-Night Vigil, you have become Orthodox, thus naturally completing a long spiritual path.

I have translated his explanation for such

Already in Greece, being a Catholic, I understood that precisely West fell from the East and not the other way. That moment was for me indescriabable. It required time to understand and accept it. I cannot condemn anybody or judge, no. This concerns a whole large historical process and we cannot speak that this one is guilty, and also that one. But a fact is a fact. What we call Western Christianity came to birth as a chain of breaks with the East - The Grigorianska Reform, then the actual separation of the Churches in 11 century, then the Reformation in the XV century and finally the 2nd Vatikan council already in the 20th century. This is of course a very rough sketch but in the whole, it seems to me to be faithful.

And to expand on my earlier point. Normally conversion happens to people who are outside of the faith and then experiences something that brings them into the faith. But today sadly many people who are technically members of the Church do not act like they are members of the Church. Thus it is indeed possible to convert someone already within the Church by bringing them to the true teaching and also helping them live the life as intended by God.

Only one post in this thread gives a conversion story. It seems to have been hijacked by attempts to use the term conversion in a way that the Church does not use it. Perhaps the thread should be closed as it has gone so far off track.

[quote="Matthew_Holford, post:19, topic:302611"]
Only one post in this thread gives a conversion story. It seems to have been hijacked by attempts to use the term conversion in a way that the Church does not use it. Perhaps the thread should be closed as it has gone so far off track.

[/quote]

Perhaps there are no Orthodox-Roman Catholic converts among us who are willing to step forward.

I think James Likoudis is an anomaly in this regard. He was cradle Orthodox because he was from a Greek family. That's like being a Yankees fan because he lived in New York. His parents took him to liturgy but no one ever taught him the what, where or why of Orthodoxy. At an early age, he became envious of Catholic kids because the actually had a school where their religion was formally taught.

I suspect that He drifted into Roman Catholicism for some of the same reasons so many cradle Roman Catholics drift into non-denominational mega-church-ism. That's where his friends were going. They seemed to be on a proper American Christian path. And the difference between the East and West were taught to him from an RC-biased perspective.

Orthodoxy has many converts from Western Christian denominations, including the RCC. Once exposed to the fullness and authenticity of Holy Orthodoxy - regardless their former confession of faith - few have any interest in backsliding.

'Sakya.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.