Please tell me this wasn't a Catholic Church

I just saw a trailer for the movie "The Devil Inside" that said there had been a special showing of the movie in December inside "a church" in Pasadena CA . The trailor showed a man dressed as a priest (Roman collar) with his face blurred, welcoming the movie goers. He could have been an actor, but who knows? Please somebody tell me this was not a real priest and this horror wasn't shown in a Catholic church :eek: Even if it wasn't real, I think it's scandalous that the image of the Catholic Church is being used and abused in this way!

If it had been a Catholic church, I think they would have stated that up front: it would lend more weight to their movie. From what you describe, it sounds as if they want viewers to assume that that it was a Catholic church.

[quote="Dale_M, post:2, topic:269047"]
If it had been a Catholic church, I think they would have stated that up front: it would lend more weight to their movie. From what you describe, it sounds as if they want viewers to assume that that it was a Catholic church.

[/quote]

I agree. Also, having the "priests" face blurred would mean that people can't confirm or deny that hes actually a priest, lending weight to the suggestion they're trying to make.

I don’t think a Catholic priest would allow anything like that.

The Catholic Church is involved in the beginning of the movie but then a fringe group takes over 20 years later. The latter group attempts several exorcisms not under RC auspices.

I wouldn't worry too much about this film. The producers aren't going to make enough to pay the honey wagon driver of this most likely. :rolleyes:

I agree that it is an attempt to lend weight to this movie by "looking Catholic".

The Catholic Priesthood is not the only group to wear the collar. I remember a Lutheran pastor that wore the same attire as a Catholic priest.

I haven't seen this movie, nor read a lot about it. But, what few facts they supply in the trailer, seem to be correct. "The Roman Catholic Church does not allow filming of exorcisms", is flashed on the screen during one trailer, and is correct. Also, exorcisms outside of the Church is a very bad idea. So, I have yet to see any blatantly misleading stuff from this movie.

I saw a trailer and it was being referred to as "The film the Vatican does not want you to see." :rolleyes:

So I'm assuming they mean, "This film is really bad, so we need to make up controversy so people will come see it."

[quote="SurlyMermaid, post:5, topic:269047"]
The Catholic Church is involved in the beginning of the movie but then a fringe group takes over 20 years later. The latter group attempts several exorcisms not under RC auspices.

I wouldn't worry too much about this film. The producers aren't going to make enough to pay the honey wagon driver of this most likely. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

I personally don't see anything overtly anti-Catholic in the movie itself----however, I DO agree that it is VERY deceitful and dishonest of the filmmakers to give out the idea that this was shown in a Catholic Church and that somehoe Holy Mother Church has given its unqalified approval to this movie.
Oh, well.

But then........it's the movie business.

Not a TOTAL surprise, indeed.

[quote="OrdinaryMelkite, post:8, topic:269047"]
I personally don't see anything overtly anti-Catholic in the movie itself----however, I DO agree that it is VERY deceitful and dishonest of the filmmakers to give out the idea that this was shown in a Catholic Church and that somehoe Holy Mother Church has given its unqalified approval to this movie.
Oh, well.

But then........it's the movie business.

Not a TOTAL surprise, indeed.

[/quote]

When I first saw the trailor it was kind of late at night so maybe I wasn't thinking clearly. My immediate thought was what church would allow any movie but in particular this movie to be shown in the sanctuary. I was almost positive it wouldn't be a Catholic church, but I can't imagine any church being ok with it.

The commercial reminded me of the commercial for the first Paranormal Activity movie. Focus on the audience reaction rather than show clips from the movie. I think both were staged -- so I doubt that it was a church.

[quote="Mary_Gail_36, post:7, topic:269047"]
I saw a trailer and it was being referred to as "The film the Vatican does not want you to see." :rolleyes:

So I'm assuming they mean, "This film is really bad, so we need to make up controversy so people will come see it."

[/quote]

Ala Stigmata. Or should I say, "Stinkmata"

The idea that possession can be contagious as almost everyone seems to be taken over from the trailer is just silly.

I'm betting that in the end we'll end up 'hearing' that the 'demon' was 'legion', having escaped from the pigs.

I GOT GOOD NEWS. IT ISN’T A CATHOLIC CHURCH. It is called Westminster Presbyterian Church in Pasadena California. I am so happy to bring the good news to you all!

Thanks Roxy, I am relieved :slight_smile:

[quote="ZhaneAugustine, post:11, topic:269047"]
Ala Stigmata. Or should I say, "Stinkmata"

[/quote]

Yup. That movie made zero sense. Why would the Vatican try and cover up the Dead Sea Scrolls or whatever the "plot" was? So much potential there... The British tv show "Apparitions" was a million times better.:thumbsup:

While walking here in southern France, I came across an old Catholic church that had been turned into a movie theater. Made me feel very sad inside. Imagine all the babies who were baptized in that church, funerals held, weddings performed, First Communions, etc. Now they show films and sell popcorn.

:dts::nope:

Thread title should be "Please tell me I didn't just waste my money on this stupid movie." For those who don't know, it has dropped one percentage point to 7% on Rotten Tomatoes, i.e., only 7% of the nation's critics liked it. And not surprisingly, neither Bishops Conference nor the Bishops Conference have reviewed it.

[quote="Mary_Gail_36, post:7, topic:269047"]

[/quote]

The review in the Calgary Herald says, "This is just more reassurance that the Vatican doesn't, in fact, employ fools."

[quote="Roxygirl1488, post:13, topic:269047"]
I GOT GOOD NEWS. IT ISN'T A CATHOLIC CHURCH. It is called Westminster Presbyterian Church in Pasadena California. I am so happy to bring the good news to you all!

[/quote]

Why do you have 1488 in your name?

[quote="havana1, post:17, topic:269047"]
Thread title should be "Please tell me I didn't just waste my money on this stupid movie." For those who don't know, it has dropped one percentage point to 7% on Rotten Tomatoes, i.e., only 7% of the nation's critics liked it. And not surprisingly, neither Bishops Conference nor the Bishops Conference have reviewed it.

[/quote]

The title of the review in the Herald is "Last Rites for Devil Genre". :D

The prediction is that this turkey will bomb - badly - and nobody in their right mind will ever make a "Devil" movie again, because audiences have become too sophisticated to be taken in by them, and are not interested in whatever philosophical questions these movies pretend to be pondering, once they are "outed" as fakes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.