please tell me your thoughts on this website

protestanterrors.com/ Accurate?

RomanRyan,

I briefly checked out this site and from what I could tell, it is right on. I get frustrated when people try to gloss over the differences between the Catholic religion and all others, as if we can just “get along.” I think this site will be helpful in showing some of my Evangelical friends the errors they unknowingly subscribe to in their theology. Thanks for the site address.

Joe

Hello

At last a website to defend the Catholics great.

God Bless
Saint Andrew.

the only problem is that the site doesn’t address that there was an enormous need for reform within the church at that time. i agree that luther and calvin and the others went about reform all wrong, but there were things wrong with the church at the time and reform was necessary. the website doesn’t deal with that at all and i see that as a problem.

I misread the link and thought at first that it said “Protestant Terrors!” :eek: In fact, it does a very thorough job of addressing all of the errors of the Reformation. I see what Bengal Fan is saying about not addressing the reform that was necessary amongst corrupt clergy. But I guess you could be technical and say that it is called “Protestant Errors”. While the there was corruption among the clergy that Luther was just in addressing, the doctrine or “deposit of faith” was from the Holy Spirit and did *not *need reform. This site addresses the error of reforming the faith.

[quote=bengal_fan]the only problem is that the site doesn’t address that there was an enormous need for reform within the church at that time. i agree that luther and calvin and the others went about reform all wrong, but there were things wrong with the church at the time and reform was necessary. the website doesn’t deal with that at all and i see that as a problem.
[/quote]

Glory be Jesus Christ!
i’m sorry you dont seem to be kidding.
of course the church was in need of reform, it always has been. and not just in the 1500s. much of what paul wrote was written to the church *in need of reform *1450 years before the reformation!
your complaint would seem to indicate that since the chruch needed reform 500 yrs ago that somehow the tens of thousands of churches established by our seperated brothers, in rejection of the true church eastablished by J, are not now, today, June 15, 2005, in enormous need of reform. that is the sad problem that the site seems to be trying to address.
not identifiying every problem confronting the church in the 1500s when creating a website for those seeking the fullness of faith in our Lord and Savior in the 2000s hardly seems overly problematic.
me thinks the website will be very useful.
thanks for listening, t

the other problem i have with the site, while factual, it doesn’t seem to be worded in charity. telling some one that the beliefs they have held/been taught all their lives are wrong is not the way to win people. the way to win people is to befriend them and share your life with them (1thess. 2:8) and in the context of sharing your life you can share Christ. if the site is for catholics seeking rebuttals to protestants…the information is good but it seems the spirit behind it isn’t, so i would recommend checking your own motives before spewing out what the website says. if it’s for protestants, it is a poor attempt and sharing truth, as it will only incite bad feelings.

[quote=bengal_fan]the other problem i have with the site, while factual, it doesn’t seem to be worded in charity. telling some one that the beliefs they have held/been taught all their lives are wrong is not the way to win people. the way to win people is to befriend them and share your life with them (1thess. 2:8) and in the context of sharing your life you can share Christ. if the site is for catholics seeking rebuttals to protestants…the information is good but it seems the spirit behind it isn’t, so i would recommend checking your own motives before spewing out what the website says. if it’s for protestants, it is a poor attempt and sharing truth, as it will only incite bad feelings.
[/quote]

Let’s not be hard on bengal fan. He has a valid point. If you use this site to evangelize to Protestants, it’s going to put them on the defensive. I think it’s useful for clarifying the Catholic understanding of Protestant errors for my own use but I will take bf’s advice and only use the site indirectly (rephrasing perhaps) when discussing these points with Protestants.

[quote=bengal_fan]the only problem is that the site doesn’t address that there was an enormous need for reform within the church at that time. i agree that luther and calvin and the others went about reform all wrong, but there were things wrong with the church at the time and reform was necessary. the website doesn’t deal with that at all and i see that as a problem.
[/quote]

There were things wrong for the first 1600 years as well. There are issues now. There always were and there always will be. Also, there were reformers to correct those problems at the time. For example St. Francis was a great reformer of the Church in the 1100’s. The difference is, the leaders of the so called Protestant Reformation led their followers off into Heresy.

[quote=Ignatius]There were things wrong for the first 1600 years as well. There are issues now. There always were and there always will be. Also, there were reformers to correct those problems at the time. For example St. Francis was a great reformer of the Church in the 1100’s. The difference is, the leaders of the so called Protestant Reformation led their followers off into Heresy.
[/quote]

i agree which is why i said i didn’t agree with the way luther, calvin and the others went about “reforming” the church. please read my entire posts…ponder on them…and then respond instead of hitting the post button right away. thanks. i’m sure we’ll all be a lot happier.

[quote=bengal_fan]i agree which is why i said i didn’t agree with the way luther, calvin and the others went about “reforming” the church. please read my entire posts…ponder on them…and then respond instead of hitting the post button right away. thanks. i’m sure we’ll all be a lot happier.
[/quote]

Oops! My apologies. I am quick with the ‘post button’ sometimes.

God Bless.

[/quote]

And a big one - Protestantism is certain to remain a closed book to those who don’t know

[list]
*]what they were protesting
*]what they were protesting against.
*]Why they were doing those two things ##
[/list]

[quote=RomanRyan1088]protestanterrors.com/ Accurate?
[/quote]

GREAT SITE!

It is blunt, straight foward and to the point.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.