Plenary Indulgence

I have a question regarding one of the requirements in order to receive a plenary indulgence. What does it mean"To have a sincere desire to detach oneself from all worldly attachments?"

[quote="Jeanne_S, post:1, topic:314267"]
I have a question regarding one of the requirements in order to receive a plenary indulgence. What does it mean"To have a sincere desire to detach oneself from all worldly attachments?"

[/quote]

One must have no attachment to sin even if it is venial sin. Basically, you need to not have sins that you desire to commit; no desire to keep doing them.

We all sin, and, as St. Paul admits, we keep doing it. However, notice how he wisely writes: "that which I hate, I keep doing." As long as you "hate" sin, that is, your will is not to sin, then you are not attached to it.

The issue, I think, is that the splendor of a plenary indulgence cannot be granted to someone who is detached only from the most grave sins - the ones of the Decalogue. One must also be detached from venial sin. For instance, I understand this as desiring to never willfully offend God, and not being attached to anything that could offend Him.

Thank you both for your responses.They have helped a lot!:wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.