Plenary Indulgence?

I have been trying to obtain a Plenary Indulgence for the release of one soul from Purgatory.

I went to Confession on 30th October and attended Mass yesterday on All Saints day. I visited church this morning and said a Creed, an Our Father, a Hail Mary and a Glory Be for the intentions of the Pope.
I am worried because yesterday I thought of someone uncharitably and with fleeting annoyance. I know that in order to obtain a Plenary Indulgence one must be completely detatched from sin.Can anyone tell me whether I have broken the rules and maybe only obtained a Partial Indulgence?

I don’t think anyone can answer that. But I try not to think of a “Gotcha God”…who is waiting for you to screw up so He doesn’t have to pay up. Do your best to fulfill the requirements of the indulgence and turn it all lovingly over to God…and trust He will know your heart was loving and intention was to do something wonderful for a loved one. He will take care of things.

I cannot tell you that. You need to ask God that. Only God knows what was in your heart.

I believe there is a visit to a cemetery before Nov. 9th that is also required but I could be wrong.

Where’s the Facebook “Like” button when you need it?

Excellent post. :thumbsup:

Indulgence is God’s grace. Plenary or partial is for God to grant. We can best prepare ourselves but we have to leave the rest to God. Confession, Eucharist, pray for the Pope’s intention…, and there is one more obligation to fulfill: either pray the Rosary in front of the tabernacle, or do the Stations of the Cross, or read the Scriptures for half an hour, etc. Confession could be done within two weeks. In other words, we may plea for indulgence within the two-week time frame, both before and after our confession, as long as all the above requirements are done on the day we ask for indulgence.

It is a charity to pray for indulgence for the souls in Purgatory. But I would not worry for the outcome. Just keep on doing our best and trust in God.

You still have to do a particular indulgenced act for the souls in Purgatory. If you need ideas, visit the Catholic.org page on Indulgenced Works. It gives several for this time of month for the poor souls.

Nevermind! Just visiting the church on All Souls’ Day and saying those prayers give a soul the plenary indulgence. I plan on doing that today when I go to the Saturday Evening Vigil Mass.

When said that you prayed the Creed, you mean the Apostles’ Creed, right? Thanks.

Thanks, everyone for your replies, I really appreciate them all.I have said five decades of the Rosary on each of the last three nights and I plan to say the Glorious Mysteries tonight before midnight. I have offered the entire Rosary to Our Lady for her intentions.

When said that you prayed the Creed, you mean the Apostles’ Creed, right? Thanks.

No, I actually said the Nicene Creed.I hope that’s O.K.Maybe I should have clarified whether it should have been the Apostles’ Creed

For a plenary indulgence one must be completely detached from all sin; venial and mortal. While it is possible to gain this it is highly unlikely since we are all attached to sin to some degree. I can’t speak for all, obviously, but at best one would get a partial indulgence. I talked about this with a couple of priests and they agreed that obtaining a plenary indulgence, while possible, is not probable for most.

For a plenary indulgence one must be completely detached from all sin; venial and mortal. While it is possible to gain this it is highly unlikely since we are all attached to sin to some degree. I can’t speak for all, obviously, but at best one would get a partial indulgence. I talked about this with a couple of priests and they agreed that obtaining a plenary indulgence, while possible, is not probable for most.

Thanks for your interesting reply. I rather suspected that, at best, I may have only obtained a partial indulgence and your conversation with the two priests seems to bear this out.

I wonder if being “detached from sin” is the same thing as being, to the best of one’s knowledge and understanding, free from sin having made a good confession.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.