Poetry or prose? Russian literary dispute ends in stabbing death

Reuters:

Poetry or prose? Russian literary dispute ends in stabbing death

(Reuters) - The lesson from a stabbing death in Russia: Alcohol and literature can be a lethal mix.
A former schoolteacher killed his friend after a drunken argument over which is superior, poetry or prose, investigators in the Sverdlovsk region said on Wednesday.
“The literary dispute soon grew into a banal conflict, on the basis of which the 53-year-old admirer of poetry killed his opponent with the help of a knife,” the regional branch of the federal Investigative Committee said in a statement.

The suspect fled his home in the town of Irbit, where the 67-year-old victim was killed after the argument on January 20, and hid at another friend’s house in a nearby village before he was found and detained, it said.
The killing came four months after an argument over the theories of 18th century German philosopher Immanuel Kant ended in a man being shot in a grocery store in southern Russia.

I’m sure this story says something about national character but I’m not sure what.
I’m pretty sure that here in the US we haven’t had any murders directly resulting from literary/philosophical disputes recently.

You are correct. In the United States there are many murders for no reason. :shrug:

:thumbsup:

Ooh, they weren’t just mere “admirers”: one of them was a poet and another a prosaic. It says much more, doesn’t it?
translate.google.ru/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fznak.com%2Fsvrdl%2Fnews%2F2014-01-29%2F1017402.html
:sad_yes:

Sure does say more. Obsession with anything can drive us nuts. Kinda like blaming video games or TV for violence, this time it is poetry!

We don’t have such killings in America because most of us don’t read poetry anyway…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.