Poisonous little article

slate.msn.com/id/2116085

Someone has cited this article in a discussion with me about the Pope’s legacy. Does anyone have any intelligent refutation to the points it makes that will help me to defend the Holy Father?

What do you need to refute?

Like most such polemics, it is composed of two parts, facts and opinions. Consider this passage:

“It means that you have to believe that the pope before last, who held on to the job for a matter of weeks before dying (or, according to some, before being murdered) was either unchosen by God in some fit of celestial pique, or left unprotected by heaven against his assassins.”

The FACT is that John Paul I lived about 5 weeks after being consecrated Pope. Everything else in that passage is pure speculation – and pretty biased speculation at that.

Suppose they said, “It means that you have to believe that Jesus, who lived only about 30 years before dying (or, according to some, before being murdered) was either unchosen by God in some fit of celestial pique, or left unprotected by heaven against his assassins.”

See how rediculous this is?

wow Acording to this idiot, the Veitnam war was started by catholics and saddam was able to stay in power all because of catholics…what next…we made the price of oil rise or faked the moon landings? and as far as the pope being decrepit. i think that show of vile and anger, shows him up as some twisted bitter little man…so much so it nullified anything he said later in the peice…on the subject of the popes last days, i like to think what John Laws a athiest and one of the worlds richest radio talk show host said"say what you like about the pope be it good or bad… the one he did was showed us all how to die with dignity".

Actually, I did make the price of oil rise at the behest of my local Bishop and the Illuminati. Sorry guys, I realize I let us all down :o

[quote=Ghosty]Actually, I did make the price of oil rise at the behest of my local Bishop and the Illuminati. Sorry guys, I realize I let us all down :o
[/quote]

And my wife will tell you I started the Viet Nam War to get out of the house.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

[quote=Ghosty]Actually, I did make the price of oil rise at the behest of my local Bishop and the Illuminati. Sorry guys, I realize I let us all down :o
[/quote]

So that was you!!! :smiley:

[quote=misterX]saddam was able to stay in power all because of catholics
[/quote]

It’s almost right. but Kerry isn’t elected president:D

[quote=FightingFat]slate.msn.com/id/2116085

Someone has cited this article in a discussion with me about the Pope’s legacy. Does anyone have any intelligent refutation to the points it makes that will help me to defend the Holy Father?
[/quote]

It may be worth noting that Christopher Hitchens also wrote an entire book about the evil’s of Mother Teresa. Seriously. It is called (I think rather tongue-in-cheek) “The Missionary Postition.”

The man has a powerful command of language and logic. It is regretable that he uses it to attack so vehemently people that have done so much good.

The fact is, neither Mother Teresa nor Pope John Paul ll were perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise. At one point in her life, Mother Teresa accepted a large donation from a man who basically had stolen the money he gave to her. Christopher Hitchens wondered why she didn’t give it back when she found out about it. (It was sometime after the fact) The actions of Cardinal Law, and the entire sex abuse scandal were very difficult things for Pope John Paul ll to deal with. Might there have been a better way to handle it? Possibly.

Does the fact that neither of these two great people were able to face every situation they encountered with perfect wisdom mean that they were frauds and conspirators in an evil plot for global domination?

I don’t think so. From what I read, Christopher Hitchens does. He makes very clear in the introduction of his book that he finds no value in a life of faith. That, I think, is why he can find nothing good in the lives of God’s faithful.

Hope that helps some

peace

-Jim

I admit Jack Chick has better drawing skill than me. but I refuse to ackownledge that guy you mention has any logic. trying to prove logical things to be illogical is the biggest illogical.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.