Police Begin Clearing Zuccotti Park of Protesters

NY Times:

Police Begin Clearing Zuccotti Park of Protesters

Hundreds of New York City police officers began clearing Zuccotti Park of the Occupy Wall Street protesters early Tuesday, telling the people there that the nearly two-month-old camp would be “cleared and restored” before the morning and that any demonstrator who did not leave would be arrested.

The protesters, about 200 of whom have been staying in the park overnight, resisted with chants of “Whose park? Our park!” as officers began moving in and tearing down tents. The protesters rallied around an area known as “the kitchen” near the middle of the park and began building barricades with tables and pieces of scrap wood.

The officers, who had gathered between the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges and then rode in vans along Broadway, moved into the one-square-block park shortly after 1 a.m.
As they did, dozens of protesters linked arms and shouted “No retreat, no surrender,” “This is our home” and “Barricade!” There were no immediate reports of arrests.
The police move came as organizers put out word on their Web site that they planned to “shut down Wall Street” with a demonstration on Thursday to commemorate the completion of two months of the beginning of the encampment, which has spurred similar demonstrations across the country.
The move also came hours after a small demonstration at City Hall on Monday by opponents of the protest, including local residents and merchants, some of whom urged the mayor to clear out the park.

The mayor’s office sent out a message on Twitter at 1:34 a.m. saying: “Occupants of Zuccotti should temporarily leave and remove tents and tarps. Protestors can return after the park is cleared.”
Before the police moved in, they set up a battery of klieg lights and aimed them into the park. A police captain, wearing a helmet, walked down Liberty Street and announced: “The city has determined that the continued occupation Zuccotti Park poses an increasing health and fire safety hazard.”
The captain ordered the protesters to “to immediately remove all private property” and said that if they interfered with the police operation, they would be arrested. Property that was not removed would be sent to a dump, the police said.
Some of the protesters grabbed their possessions. “They’re not getting our tents down,” one man shouted. People milled around, and some headed to the edges of the park.

By 1:45 a.m., dozens of officers moved through the park, some bearing plastic shields and wearing helmets. They removed tents and bedding materials, putting them on the sidewalk. Some protesters could be seen leaving the park with their belongings, but a core group of more than 100 hunkered down at the encampment’s kitchen area, linking arms, waving flags, and singing and chanting their refusal to leave the park.
They sang “We Shall Overcome,” and chanted at the officers to “disobey your orders.”
“If they come in, we’re not going anywhere,” said Chris Johnson, 32, who sat with other remaining protesters near the food area. He said that the protest “has opened up a dialogue that hasn’t existed since I’ve been alive.”The action came as other cities’ police forces have begun evacuating similar protest camps.

Okay, kiddies, time to pick up your toys and go home now.

Yes, your money was stolen and given to banks. Now you’re forced to buy health care at gunpoint. And your money is given to overseas financial institutions. And your wages haven’t gun up but your productivity (hard work) has skyrocketed.

But that’s okay. Your leaders love you. And we must remain civil. :rolleyes:

Of course, neither the Tea Party nor Occupy Wall Street really understand that it is moral rot that lies at the root of the problem.

I find your comment quite unhelpful and rather uncharitable.

Our civic leaders have a responsibility to keeping public facilities safe and clean. The removal of the protesters was temporary; the park (as are most) is not designed for long-term occupation. Trash and other health and safety issues are inevitable in this scenario. Officials had given the group several opportunities to voluntarily disperse so that the clean-up can be done. If the protesters are vigilant in their cause, the news report indicates that they can return once things are cleaned up.

Civility ***is ***key to successful change. The organized marches in the civil rights movement of the 1960s were not loud or adversarial. They simply showed their numbers, held signs, prayed and sung. The opposite (which you seem to imply is not preferable, if I understood your sarcasm) leads to more of the very “moral rot” we do not need.

I don’t see the connection between the Tea Party movement (which supports a smaller and accountable government–the very cause of the problems in the banking and loan industry) with the Occupy movement (whose overall goals seem undefined, depending on the groups interviewed).

“The poor you will always have with you,” Christ said. This means that the Body of Christ should always strive to feed and comfort and teach the poor so that they have what they need. But having what is needed and having what you want are two different things. In my opinion, many in the Occupy movement need to define more of what they need than expressing their wants so that others, governmental and otherwise, can offer help.

I do not support “Obamacare,” as it is popularly called among its dissenters. Any time the government forces an action on its citizens, problems are inevitable. The most powerful being in the universe actually has the ability to force us to do things, but does not. There’s a reason that the Lord has this restraint. Describing the proposed mandatory care requirement as being done “at gunpoint” is an unjust characterization–and I am far from being a supporter of the president or his policies.

NEW YORK – Police arrested 70 protesters at New York’s Zuccotti Park early Tuesday, including some who chained themselves together, while clearing the park so that sanitation crews could clean it.

The officers arrived just after midnight and handed out letters to protesters ordering them to temporarily evacuate the park. Campers were told to remove their tents and all their belongings, the New York Post reported.

The eviction letters declared, "The city has determined that the continued occupation of Zuccotti Park poses an increasing health and fire safety hazard.

"We also require that you immediately leave the park on a temporary basis so it can be cleared and restored for its intended use.

“You will be allowed to return to the park in several hours, when this work is complete. If you decide to return, you will not be permitted to bring tents, sleeping bags, tarps and similar materials with you.”

Link

Wow! Amazing what can happen when you actually enforce the law. Bye-Bye.

Hundreds of police officers early Tuesday cleared the park in Lower Manhattan that had been the nexus of the Occupy Wall Street movement, arresting dozens of people there after warning that the nearly two-month-old camp would be “cleared and restored” but that demonstrators who did not leave would face arrest.

The protesters, about 200 of whom have been staying in the park overnight, initially resisted with chants of “Whose park? Our park!”

The massive operation in and around Zuccotti Park was intended to empty the birthplace of a protest movement that has inspired hundreds of tent cities from coast to coast. On Monday in Oakland, Calif., hundreds of police officers raided the main encampment there, arresting 33 people. Protesters returned later in the day. But the Oakland police said no one would be allowed to sleep there anymore, and promised to clear a second camp nearby.

nytimes.com/2011/11/16/nyregion/police-begin-clearing-zuccotti-park-of-protesters.html?_r=1&hp

A New York judge on Tuesday issued a temporary restraining order allowing protesters to return to Zuccotti Park only hours after police forcibly removed them, arresting dozens.
The order by Justice Lucy Billings set a hearing date for Tuesday at 11:30 a.m. and said that until the matter was considered at that hearing, the city and Brookfield Properties, the owners of Zuccotti Park, would be prohibited from evicting protesters or “enforcing ‘rules’ published after the occupation began or otherwise preventing protesters from re-entering the park with tents and other property previously utilized.”
It was not immediately clear what effect the order would have on the protesters meeting in nearby Foley Square. Some had advocated returning to the park.
cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/15/updates-on-the-clearing-of-zuccotti-park/

Seems like the judge wants to set up the precedent of camping out on someone’s private property as legal.
Good that people set up camp on his lawn then

If a judge can issue a temporary restraining order to prevent the owners of private property from evicting people who are illegally camping out there, I suppose she could also issue a restraining order to keep me from evicting people who illegally camp out on my front lawn.

I don’t even live in NYC, but I miss Mayor Rudy Giuliani. He would have taken care of this problem long before now.

Ah, yes. The 1960s. Very effective. The result of that was a disaster. Race equality is a noble goal but all the trimmings (abortions, white guilt in schools, welfare, affirmative action) that came with it arguably destroyed the whole process.

1776 was deemed uncivil, but it was both moral and necessary. That uncivil revolt against the English allows you to express your disdain for dissent. Patrick Henry’s famous call of “Give me liberty or give me death” speaks to this point quite well. The call for “civility” is just a way to keep people from speaking what they believe. It’s called being a pollyanna. It leads to things like that CBS debate on Saturday where the moderator only gets mad at people booing instead of equally chastising the cheerers.

Christ was not particularly civil in denouncing the evils of the time. He called people sons of the devil, referred to some as swine (don’t throw pearls before swine), and was considered uncivil by the authorities. We do a disservice to Christ when we equate his love with civility. His love was truth.

The truth is neither civil nor uncivil. It is the truth. It is our job to seek it and speak it. If I could narrow the problems of our modern age down to one thing, it is this issue of being afraid to rock the boat and condemn evil actions. It is no wonder that evil thrives.

Unfortunately, you seem to be one of those. For example, any time the government mandates something, it is at gunpoint. That’s a fact. Force is how they enforce. Sometimes it’s necessary, sometimes it isn’t. Aat gunpoint is how it ultimately comes down, and that’s how it has to be.

What happens if you don’t pay taxes? First, they fine you, and if you refuse that, you eventually come face to face with a cop and a gun looking to imprison you. The same will be true for the health care mandate. Wake up.

The judge issued the restraining order pending a ruling on the legality of evicting the protestors. The restraining order itself does not constitute a judgement on the issue. Its also important to note that Zuccotti Park is what is referred to as a “privately owned public space” which the owner is required to keep open to the general public 24/7 in its agreement with the City of New York.

I saw a photo of the park in Oakland after everyone had left. It was completely trashed. I think we can judge the protesters by how much trash they left behind and didn’t clean up. What a bunch of slobs. I think this scene tells volumes about the character of the protesters. Atleast after Woodstock some of the concert goers stayed back on Yasgur’s farm to clean up after everyone.

Ishii

As far as movements go, this turned out have more in common with a bowel movement than any kind of political one.

Like a public sidewalk in front of the judges house then, with people crapping in the public gutters there and camping out on her public sidewalk in front of her windows, I am sure she would cut through the politically inspired legalese fast enough.

This post speaks more to the mind of the poster than the mind of the protesters. INMH
and may I add an “ick” factor. PLease keep your bowel movements to yourself.

Exactly.
I have had enough of these losers crapping in public on police cars as political theatre too.

They have turned public spaces into latrines. If the judge thinks thats okay, fill the public spaces around her own house with the same kind of stench that the OWS has been responsible for and see just how impartial she is.

“Keep your bowel movement to yourself.”:thumbsup:
It makes for pretty good law, I think.

Ironically he appointed the judge that issued the restraining order.

Yes, I heard she had been an ACLU activist in her previous life. Rudy Giuliani was not known so much as a conservative mayor, but he did tend to work for less chaos in the city.

Shame for the small business owners in that area. They are the ones taking a beating.

Maybe they are considered part of the one percent. Or maybe they’re just collateral damage whose function is supposed to be to provide free stuff for the protesters.

This could get out of hand, really quick.

Later in the video, he then goes on to say “No more talking. They’ve got guns, we’ve got bottles. They’ve got bricks, we’ve got rocks…in a few days you’re going to see what a Molotov cocktail can do to Macy’s.”

newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/11/16/ows-protesters-calling-for-day-of-action-following-loss-of-camp-in-zuccotti-park/

Does anyone else see the irony in the OWS using a poster depicting the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 (that was to establish a more free market)?

http://cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/03quh.jpg?w=194&h=299

OWS wants a type of economy the Chinese were protesting against.

Hope the police don’t pick up body lice clearing out the tents.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.