Police breaking down huge california homeless camp

Police and social service agencies in San Jose are dismantling The Jungle, a homeless encampment that could be the largest in the United States.

In the past year and a half, the city of San Jose has spent more than $4 million on solving the problems at the encampment.

The last time officials cleared out the camp was in May 2012 when about 150 people were moved out of The Jungle.

The United States is land of the homeless. There are shanty towns in every American city I’ve ever lived in. It’s only a matter of time before we have favelas in the US.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favela

latimes.com/local/california/la-me-silicon-valley-homeless-20141204-story.html#page=1

Veiled by the yellow willows and brush along a forgotten creek bed in San Jose, hundreds of people jerry-built a treehouse and constructed underground bunkers and ramshackle lean-tos to form one of the nation’s largest homeless encampments.

The 68-acre shantytown is just minutes away from downtown and the high-tech giants that made Silicon Valley one of the world’s most opulent locations. For years, the city turned a blind eye to “the Jungle.” But the camp along the muddy bank of Coyote Creek has become more crowded in recent years and is awash in rotting trash, rats and human waste — so bad that the endangered steelhead trout have essentially disappeared.

After years of halfhearted cleanups, city officials on Thursday plan to begin shutting down the Jungle for good.

The sprawling camp has become a major embarrassment, and a potent emblem of Silicon Valley’s homeless crisis. In 2013, San Jose and the surrounding Santa Clara County estimated almost 7,600 homeless people, more than in San Francisco. And 75% of them were sleeping outside, on sidewalks, in parks and under freeway embankments — a percentage greater than in any other major U.S. metropolitan area.

:mad::mad:Many cities have been aggressively targeting the homeless and the poor. Many issues in these encampments would be resolved if the cities, when provided monies, would actually spend it on the homeless and the poor. So much of it never reaches them but pocketed by those in charge of the $$ or given out to companies for their overpriced services. Solution is easy: Provide housing for all. If not provide the homeless camps with porto potties, washing areas, and trash cans. Paid security to keep order would be fine. The city needs to provide its resident’s (all) with affordable if not assist them with keeping a clean camp.

The economy remains horrible dispite what the news would like us to believe. Provide people with good wholesome jobs with good pay, job security and full time hours and you may see a huge reduction of all homeless people.** Homeless **people are ]not to be treated as second hand people. These City officials ordering for their removal need Christian hearts not evil ones. The police are just doing what they have been ordered to do by the city leaders. Hoping for a safe solution. PAX:hug3:

With the camp cleared, officials planned to try to find shelter for the night for people connected with social services.

Anyone not linked with social services will still have to leave, San Jose homelessness response manager Ray Bramson said.

Several homeless-assistance groups also stepped in to help.

Together with law enforcement and government official the problem is being addressed. Setting up unauthorized homeless camps isn’t good for anyone…especially the homeless.

The possible reason their homeless and in encampments are precisely why their there. They cannot find nor is there any assistance out there for them. Only because their being thrown out, will others pick them up.

It’s sound like you support throwing out the poor further out into the streets Beautiful:tsktsk:! I don’t see a beautiful heart in you.

I hope and pray so.

There are more and more documentaries and articles addressing US poor and/or homeless. I watch/read as many as I can to understand their plight. The reasons are varied but mostly the economy is really not so good and as you pointed out, the media glosses over it.

Not at all…puzzled. Not sure how you conclude that.
Keeping them destabilized in their encampments serves them no justice at all and as the author of the article pointed out there are social services to help resettle.

A city where there is homelessness (which is about all cities) can make every square inch of it, what is it they called it “unauthorized”, illegal, and favorable to fees and fines towards the homeless. No mercy is given to them nor any care to their city residents. The problem may reside with it’s local politicians.

Understood Beautiful. My misunderstanding;)

Understood

Your compassion for homeless is great.

Was thinking it probably wasn’t very good of the city to let the campground get so populated…numbering 350 at one point.

At any rate, many are up, out and hopefully getting good help.

Every city has its own to look after.

Donations to agencies that help is vital.

Donations to the cause are wonderful, unfortunately the monies rarely get to the homeless or it’s set up with unattainable rules and regulation attached to it.

LOL. Provide security? To police what? Public urination? Really? What’s the penalty? a clean jail cell with cable TV and air conditioning? Who’s going to pay for all this? Dreams with no chance of reality are old, stale, not working, emotional, illogical, lack common sense, and on the wrong side of decades of history.

Where were all the social service agencies before this? Kicking the homeless further down the street doesn’t address the issues of why they ended up homeless in the first place. The money would be better spent on preventing homelessness to begin with. Clearing out the people is just a feel good action that does nothing to fix the problems. They cleaned out the camp 2 years ago. Do they really think that they won’t be doing it again in another couple years.

So true.

FWIW, I think they should have left the commune open. I think we should have many communes like these as a reminder of how much tax revenue gets generated by hardworking people within these zones and what it will be like as more people shed responsibility in favor of the easy life. “The Jungle.” Perfect name for it.

There is a big difference between chronic homelessness and short-term homelessness.

Most chronic homeless have mental illness and/or are drugs abusers.

For drug users, this puts aid in a difficult spot. They want to help the chronically homeless, but can’t condone drug and alcohol abuse. they most certainly can’t give money and a home to those who will just use it for their next fix. It’s possible, for a person who refuses to kick the habit, that we use some tough love and make them remain homeless until they clean up.

For the mentally ill, extensive therapy is required. I don’t know about access to mental health facilities for the homeless, but that would be where I would start trying to alleviate chronic homelessness and getting these hurting souls in better conditions.

Also, a small percentage like being homeless. My brother encountered some who flatly said as much. :shrugs:

I read nothing helpful, substantial or even useful in this posting

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.