Police: Girl Dies After Parents Pray for Healing Instead of Seeking Medical Help

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,341574,00.html

These parents don’t go to a church but go to a Bible study instead. Apparently, they haven’t gotten to James yet:

[14] What does it profit, my brethren, if a man says he has faith but has not works? Can his faith save him? [15] If a brother or sister is ill-clad and in lack of daily food, [16] and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what does it profit? [17] So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead.

Too sad.:frowning:

Heretics. :mad:

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,341574,00.html

based on the language used, I would not be surprised to find out that they belong to a cult called “The Way International”.

The Way International is a religious organization founded by Victor Paul Wierwille. It claims a founding date of 1942, the year Wierwille began his Vesper Chimes radio program, a.k.a. the Chimes Hour Youth Caravan. The Way describes itself as a Christian biblical research, teaching and fellowship ministry that teaches others how to understand the Bible and operate the “9 manifestations of holy spirit”. Critics accuse the group of being a cult; some point out inconsistencies between The Way’s doctrines and orthodox Christianity. This group is non-trinitarian and believes Jesus Christ is the savior and the Son of God, but not God Himself.

Sounds like just another adventist-type scham. I’ll stick with the “religious organization” founded by Jesus Christ as opposed to Vic.

I’ve never understood cases like these. No where does the bible say not to use a physician or medical care.So, where do some Christian groups come up with this nonsense.:mad:

People criticize organized religion but in reality it is the small, groups unaffiliated with any larger church who are frightening.:frowning:

A quick google search came up with some verses:
Psalms 30:2 O LORD my God, I called to you for help and you healed me.

Exodus 15:26 …I am the LORD, who heals you.”

Exodus 23:25 …I will take away sickness from among you.

Psalms 103:2-3 Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits — [3] who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases.

Of course, the interpretation of such verses is faulty if people decide they mean that a physician should not be used. But faulty interpretation of Scripture is probably inevitable once Tradition is ignored. Heck some Protestant groups argue that you shouldn’t receive blood transfusions, or shouldn’t dance, or should handle snakes to show God’s approval of you.

Just another proof as to why it is important to belong to the One true Church…

I have been faith-healed before - miraculously. But then i had another (mild) condition that wouldn’t clear up after much prayer… So i went to the doctor… God heals through them also.

Unfortunately the Protestants have ignored the Book of Sirach [38:1-15]

Honor the physician with the honor due him, * according to your need of him, for the Lord created him; 2 for healing comes from the Most High, and he will receive a gift from the king. 3 The skill of the physician lifts up his head, and in the presence of great men he is admired. 4 The Lord created medicines from the earth, and a sensible man will not despise them. 5 Was not water made sweet with a tree in order that his* power might be known? 6 And he gave skill to men that he* might be glorified in his marvelous works. 7 By them he heals and takes away pain; 8 the pharmacist makes of them a compound. His works will never be finished; and from him health* is upon the face of the earth. 9 My son, when you are sick do not be negligent, but pray to the Lord, and he will heal you. 10 Give up your faults and direct your hands aright, and cleanse your heart from all sin. 11 Offer a sweet-smelling sacrifice, and a memorial portion of fine flour, and pour oil on your offering, as much as you can afford. *** 12 And give the physician his place, for the Lord created him; let him not leave you, for there is need of him. 13 There is a time when success lies in the hands of physicians, *** 14 for they too will pray to the Lord that he should grant them success in diagnosis* and in healing, for the sake of preserving life. 15 He who sins before his Maker, may he fall into the care* of a physician.

Even without the Book of Sirach (which, I might add, Anglicans read, but we do not use it to form official doctrine), that quote from St. James hits the nail on the head. Although there have been many times in history where God has ‘stepped in’ directly, He also chooses to work through human beings and our good works/‘fruits of the Spirt’.

This reminds me of an old joke:

A Baptist minister living in the lowlands is stuck in a flood in his house. As the floodwaters rise, he climbs to the second floor and finally to the roof, constantly praying that God would save him from certain death. His faith in God taking direct action never wavers.

A rescue boat comes by, but he shouts out to them, “Leave me alone and go help the godless, for God will save me.”

The waters continue to rise and come up to his waist.

A rescue chopper flies over and the minister shouts out, “Go help the godless. God will protect me.”

The waters continue to rise and come up to his neck.

A large piece of driftwood floats by and the Baptist gusses that it could hold his weight, but he cries, “I have too much faith in God to try and save myself. He will protect me.”

Finally, the minister drowns and ascends to Heaven and, at the pearly gates, he sees St. Peter and calls out to him, "St. Peter, why didn’t God save me from drowing? I prayed and prayed. I even turned away mere human rescuers.

St. Peter checks out the Heavenly records, “I see. Didn’t that boat and helicopter reach you? As a last resort, He sent that piece of driftwood…”

I am not trying to make light of a serios and tragic occurrence, but I’m trying to (perhap with a bit of humor) point out a danger found in many parts of Christianity. Certainly, prayer is very important and miraculous events do occur, but God has also chosen to work with and through ourselves and other people for the benefit of His creation.

This seems like this is just another example of “faith alone” run a muck. I don’t understand how people like this can read the first chapter of James or the parable of the Good Samaritan and still think the way they do.

According to them the parable should have read something like this:
“The Samaritan found the man beaten by robbers and just prayed for God to miraculously heal the man. Then walked away hoping his faith was strong enough to make God answer his prayer”:rolleyes:

I was thinking( a dangerous activity for me and now I have a headache:p ) some extreme forms of faith alone seem to have their basis in pride. “I am so close to God that I can make him do what I want.”:frowning:

You don’t even need to go to an extreme church. My SIL goes to one of those mega ELCA churches. A few years ago she became convinced that she had special intercessory powers. She told my wife that she knew how to, “Whisper directly into the ear of Jesus” and even tried to make a business of charging a fee to pray for individuals and businesses.

She one asked if I wanted her to be an intercessor for me and I told her, “That’s okay I already have the Communion of Saints to interceded for me, and hey, they’re free”.

Fortunately, God humbled her and she doesn’t do that anymore.

Madness

Madness is what ALWAYs ensues when one is separated from Christ (His Church) :frowning:

Have you ever read much history? All it is is violence & murder (war)… since Day One of “civilization”… :frowning:

There has been far less of all those evils, however, since the Church was established…
and in places where the Church is respected…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.