Police list Jedi as religion

Police list Jedi as religion after finding force within

It may not be a galaxy far far away, but Strathclycde Police is clearly feeling a disturbance in the Force after eight officers listed their religion as Jedi.

By Sarah Knapton
Last Updated: 10:04PM BST 16 Apr 2009

Jedi Master Yoda in a scene from Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith Photo: REUTERS

The officers and two civilian staff put down the faith, dreamed up by George Lucas for Star Wars, on their voluntary diversity forms.

Jane’s Police Review asked 55 forces across the UK how many employees had officially declared their religion as Jedi.

But Strathclyde was the only force to confirm that some of its staff had entered the Star Wars

Jedi Knights such as Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda are fictional characters in the Star Wars movies.

Said to live “in a galaxy far, far away”, they use “the Force” to battle arch-enemy Darth Vadar and try to help characters who have strayed to the “dark side”.

Jane’s Police Review editor Chris Herbert, who requested the information, said: "The Force appears to be strong in Strathclyde Police with their Jedi police officers and staff.

“Far from living a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, some members of the noble Jedi order have now chosen Glasgow and its surrounding streets as their home.”

A Strathclyde Police spokeswoman said: “At the time of the request, 10 (eight police officers and two police staff) had recorded their religion as Jedi.”

The force said the information was provided voluntarily and securely stored. In the 2001 Census for England and Wales around 390,000 people stated Jedi was their religion. Prior to the census, an e-mail was circulated stating that if 10,000 people put Jedi on the census form, it would become a “fully recognised and legal religion”.

But the Office for National Statistics did not recognise it as a separate category, and incorporated them with the atheists.

Strathclyde is the largest police force in Scotland, employing around 8,200 police officers and 2,800 police staff.

I’ve lived in NZ for most of my life … people did this as a joke in the 2000 census.

How many people did in NZ?

If one day a Jedi temple is built, I will die laughing :stuck_out_tongue:

Checked wikipedea as I could not remember … it was the 2001 census and apparently it was around 53,000 people! Though in the 2006 census Jedi dropped to 20,000.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon#New_Zealand

Thanks for the link. Amazing how some Yankees really mix their numerous protestant churches with Jedis! :confused:

I can remember people telling the public to put down Jedi as it would prove that religion is a nothing and not important in our society.

Good gimmick I guess but it didn’t work as well the next time around.

Makes me believe that these officers psych tests need to be re-evaluated.

God bless

:rotfl: I started a thread on this subject in the Back Fence: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=302415

I personally think this Jedi religion is actually pretty neat. :smiley: Needless to say, I am a Star Wars fan… (I get it from my dad. :o).

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

The point of the “Jedi” thing is not so much to protest religion, as to protest tax dollars (or pounds or Euros, in this case) going to “establish” religion. The government in NZ and the UK takes what people put down as religions and uses it to figure out how much tax money to give the various religions for various state-controlled purposes. Like religious schools have to teach government curriculums and accept a mandated number of people who aren’t their religion, but apparently they do get a good chunk of tax money in return.

I don’t really understand this, as I live in the US where various Constitutional/Bill of Rights clauses prohibited that sort of thing early on. One would assume that the Jedi folks also want freedom from taxes paying for religion, or from state control of religion.

On a side note:

Its worse then that in NZ Catholic Schools at the moment. They want to take students who are not Catholic so they can foster religion in those families. Which is all well and good except that Church going families cannot now get places for their kids … non-Catholic families know that Catholic schools give a better education (at a low price) then state run so use this to give their kids a better education. They even go so far as it demand their kids are exculded from religion classes because they follow another!

I wonder how high their midichlorian counts were…hmm

I’m sorry, but I just have to disagree with this. Now, I won’t speak against every Catholic school because I can only hope there are better Catholic schools individually (perhaps those types of good schools are in NZ, but I’m giving a side note on the US).

My Catholic school deprived me of a better education that I could have received in public school. When I went from 4th grade in Catholic school to 5th grade in public school, I struggled very much because the material they taught (like long division and science) were never introduced to me in Catholic school because about a third of a day’s worth of class was Catholic studies. The amazing part about it: the public school expected the students to know that because science classes and division was introduced in an earlier grade!

I disagree with the notion that Catholic school gives a better education, and I know I’m not the only one who feels that way. I have friends and, even, teachers who’ve gone to religiously based schools (mostly Catholic) and then, struggled when they made that transition to public school.

As for low prices: no comment. :ehh: That depends on the family.

Ironically Yours. :heart:

Well here in UK Catholic schools are for the most part free to attend save for a small yearly payment, even this is waived depending on families financial situations. They also offer second to none education and are frequently held up as the best schools in the areas.

Penguinchicky is in the UK.

Yes I live in the UK but I was born and raised in NZ.

The Catholic Schools in my area (where I’m from in NZ) are in the most part better in terms of class size, manner in which subjects are taught and often more than not rank higher than normal state run schools. This is not to say that other more expensive schools in the area are even better than Catholic.

I simply find it disturbing that students who are Catholic and come from Catholic families in that parish are not given places over other students. I believe NZ tried this manner to selecting students a few decades ago but then went back to Catholic only except for maybe 5-10% … so fingers crossed they change back after they learn for the second time that it does not work. BTW this is not because of government presure but something the Church has decided to do.

Wow. This is rather disturbing.

Well, since mathematics isn’t important and is boring to me, I would much prefer the third of the day devoted to Catholic studies! It all depends on the job you want to do when yo graduate.

I checked Snopes. They list this as false.

What is snopes?

It depends on where you live and which Catholic school you’re talking about.

In the cities here, the Catholic schools are better than the average public schools in the same city.

In the suburban areas, the public schools are far better than the Catholic schools.

But at the high school level, the Catholic schools out-perform almost all of the public high schools in the state. There are a few high schools (in the areas where houses are 1/2 mil and up - state average is around 225,000) that perform as well or even better than the Catholic high schools.

http://www.bedeliberate.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/obi-wan460.jpg

“i sense a great disturbance in the force”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.