Police shooting in Milwaukee sparks violent protest

MILWAUKEE - A crowd of protesters skirmished with police Saturday night in a Milwaukee neighborhood where an officer shot and killed a man after a traffic stop and foot chase earlier in the day, setting fire to a police car and torching a gas station. One officer was hurt by a thrown brick.

Police said the 23-year-old man was armed with a handgun. Mayor Tom Barrett said the officer ordered the suspect to drop the weapon, but he refused. The officer then shot the suspect twice, Barrett said, adding that the officer was wearing a body camera.

cbsnews.com/news/police-shooting-in-milwaukee-sparks-violent-protest/

Violence and protests erupted in Milwaukee overnight after a man was fatally shot by police during a foot chase.

Police said the victim, 23, was armed with a handgun and shot dead by an officer after fleeing a traffic stop on Milwaukee’s north side Saturday afternoon.

Hours later angry crowds took to the streets, smashing a police car and setting fire to another. One officer was injured by a flying brick; a gas station and auto-parts store were set alight. Police said gunshots were heard.

Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett pleaded for calm at an early morning news conference, asking residents to “do everything” to help restore order.

“If you love your son, if you love your daughter, text them, call them, pull them by the ears and get 'em home,” he said.

Police said at least three people had been arrested as of early Sunday.

nbcnews.com/news/us-news/milwaukee-cop-cars-smashed-torched-after-police-kill-suspect-n630236

These folks have been waiting for an excuse to throw a violent, destructive temper tantrum. What they think this will prove or solve, I have no idea. They’re just overwhelmed with hate.

So why did they torch the gas station if they were mad at the police ?

?? :confused:

What do you mean? Why would you say that?

National Guard called up after violent Milwaukee protests cbsn.ws/2bg0u2J

The police should have also shot the guy that threw a brick at them. Bricks are deadly weapons.

That’s how they are. Little kids don’t act like this (hence why I said little kids are oftentimes more moral than us when taught correctly). They always like to throws riots because of “racism” and “economic inequality” in order to get their way. Did you see what they did in the Ferguson unrest (August 2015, Michael Brown)?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferguson_unrest

Caused by:

… after the fatal shooting of Michael Brown by white police officer Darren Wilson on August 9, 2014, in Ferguson, Missouri. The unrest sparked a vigorous debate in the United States about the relationship between law enforcement officers and African Americans, the militarization of the police…

A few occurrences:

Injuries — 10 members of the public injured; 6 police officers injured

Arrested — 321 members of the public

And that’s not to mention property damage, especially to businesses (including stores) and to peoples’ cars that happened to be on the street.

It’s childish to me. Grow up. :shrug:

The problem is that some of the people that will argue against what you said just lap up whatever the media spins out.

And I urge these people to seek out different news sources and compare so that they can maintain their own interpretation. Fox News has a different perspective from CNN, and newspapers often have the indelible, unique flavor of the editors and writers.

I find it incongruous that you are more morally outraged by the reaction to the shooting than you are by the shooting itself. It is uncharitable to assume the worst motives for those that are protesting.

Say which? That they are throwing a violent, destructive temper tantrum? Or that they are waiting for an excuse to do so? Or that no possible good will come of it?

I believe that all of them are intended to be inquired about by that comment. And I agree with you that this is not the solution and that they just need an excuse. This has been seen time and again in our country over the last year and a half or so.

Protesting is one thing. Terrorist behavior is another. These people are acting out violently against innocent people, who have little or nothing to do with what they are upset about. I don’t have enough information about this shooting to decide whether or not to be morally outraged. I reserve the right to be outraged when more information is available.

So what are the good motives to justify burning down businesses and assaulting people?

I was wondering the same thing.

None whatsoever. Violence is not the way to solve racial problems between the community and the police or poverty. It only serves to escalate the tensions.

This is pretty much what chroniclers in the Middle Ages and Rennaissance would term a “peasant revolt.” We’ve had too many in history (giant list here)
and the next one will be “United States Anti-Police Rebellion”… or something like that.

I didn’t say they were good motives. I said that we should not assume the worst. However bad it is to burn down businesses to protest a shooting, it is even worse to do it because one is “waiting for an excuse” to do something like that. That is what I objected to - the assumption that the protest was not even motivated by the shooting, but merely used the shooting as an excuse to do bad things they wanted to do anyway.

The motive is hatred. The shooting and the resulting protest are merely the catalyst. First of all, scores to hundreds of legitimate protesters in the streets allow the criminals to commit these crimes with much less chance of being caught, particularly if the protesters are sympathetic. Secondly, mob mentality takes over and encourages individuals to do things they would be afraid to do on their own. Realistically, there’s less risk, because the police can’t be everywhere at once. Psychologically, they feel justified if they aren’t the only ones doing it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.