Police: Student fabricated report she was beaten, robbed

bigstory.ap.org/article/258032975ef84e2f808726808072684f/police-student-says-man-wearing-trump-hat-attacked-her

I think the biggest concern here should be an “anti-Muslim” backlash.

Glad the truth came out.

Why would someone do this? This is just like the guy who wrote “******” on his own cake and tried to claim the store did it!

There is a psychologically identifiable disorder known as Munchausen syndrome in which certain persons who badly need attention or somehow feel in jeopardy, fabricate fantasies of victimhood to gain the sympathy of others. I dealt with this at various times in my investigative career. Investigations techniques in recent decades have been geared toward implied credulity, no matter the implausibility of the claim. Thus, simply say it and it is assumed to be true. Media follows. Naturally, fabricated stories will unravel, but look at the damage done in the meantime.

There have been other cases like this in the past. I remember one, I think it was in Poughkeepsie, NY, where a black girl faked that she had racial slurs on her body, etc. The black community had all come to her defense, and somehow, it came out that the whole thing had been faked.

Yes, human psychology is very complex. There are people who do things, for attention, or for other reasons, which can seem to defy all logic. Also, it’s a way of trying to frame others and feeding the fire to racial tensions.

. I dealt with this at various times in my investigative career. Investigations techniques in recent decades have been geared toward implied credulity, no matter the implausibility of the claim. Thus, simply say it and it is assumed to be true. Media follows. Naturally, fabricated stories will unravel, but look at the damage done in the meantime.

In today’s climate, victimhood is the “in” thing.

Yes, but get used to this! There is hardly any hate from the Trump base, and so they’ll have to lie in order to be victims in order to get special attention on social media and the like.

The Tawana Brawley case which propelled Al Sharpton from run of the mill agitator to civil rights “leader”.

And the lesbian couple that wrote “queers” on their garage and then burnt their own house down claiming both were hate crimes.

I read the reports this morning of all sorts of nasty things Trump supporters are supposedly writing in interesting places. I’ve seen too many fakers to automatically believe these stories aren’t false anymore.

Same here. And it only divides the country further because those who take all these claims at face value then see those who doubt as uncaring bigots, while those who doubt roll their eyes at more hysteria. It’s sad that we’ve been lied to so many times that our first reaction is doubt and derision.

Has Trump ever repudiated support of white supremacists or the KKK? Or denounced them outright?

I’m reading stories here and there on Facebook about people being harassed based on race/ethnicity, people who I don’t think have a political agenda. I don’t find it improbable that silent racists are coming out of the woodwork, out of the anonymous internet and into real life, emboldened by what they perceive as a validation of their hate.

Munchausen Syndrome is a serious issue … and there are variations of it.

People have been known to cause/ create problems to/with their children to assist in the parent(s) getting sympathy.

We’ll probably see more of this as time goes on. For all the claims of impending doom and a wave of marauding racists in red MAGA hats pillaging and raping every minority in sight, the only real violence we’ve seen is from Hillary supporters.

Yes, when informed that David Duke had endorsed him, Trump disavowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.