Police Union Asks For State of Emergency, Ban on ‘Open Carry’ for Convention

The president of the Cleveland Police Patrolmen’s Association, Stephen Loomis, is worried about the prospect of a volatile scene surrounding the upcoming Republican National Convention, which begins in Cleveland on Monday, especially given Ohio’s gun laws which allow licensed gun owners to carry firearms in public. Loomis, who heads one of the largest police unions in the city, is calling on Ohio Governor and former Presidential candidate John Kasich to declare a state of emergency to suspend the state’s “open carry’”law, Reuters reported.
“I don’t care if it’s constitutional or not,” Loomis said in an interview with CNN discussing a letter his organization sent to the governor, asking for help. “They can fight about it after the RNC or they can lift it after the RNC, but I want him to absolutely outlaw open-carry in Cuyahoga County until this RNC is over.” Weapons are banned from being carried within a “secure zone” inside and around the convention venue, but not the surrounding area.

lawnewz.com/high-profile/police-union-asks-for-state-of-emergency-ban-on-open-carry-for-convention/

“I don’t care if it’s constitutional or not,” Loomis said in an interview with CNN

Sadly, this is a rather common sentiment among our government officials.

Using “following the constitution” as a lame excuse for any lack of common sense seems always good cover among the hard-right. Of course the police official is completely correct, ‘Open Carry’ around the Cleveland concention is plain and utter idiocy.

And under what law would the governor of Ohio have the power to do this?. He has no more power to do this than President Obama has to stop Black lives matter members from spewing hate against policeman

Something you rarely hear from government officials is that every right comes with great responsibilities. I am not exaggerating to say I hear 100 claims of some right for every time I hear someone acknowledge a responsibility. Can you imagine Hillary Clinton telling people that parents owe their children food, clothing, shelter, medical care and education; and that the greatest part of that education is a good example? How many votes would that cost her?

We all have a right to self-defense, but also a great duty to behave responsibility when armed with deadly weapons. Would President Obama or Hillary Clinton dare to say that we should selectively disarm those with criminal records which prove they cannot behave responsibility. They only seem to want disarm everyone equally, although the danger is easy enough to identify.

I can understand the concern of all police officers providing security at the upcoming conventions. Praying for the safety of all at the conventions and no violence.

You think “following the Constitution” should be optional for elected officials? What other laws do you think elected officials should be free to ignore?

William Roper: So now you'd give the Devil benefit of law!
Sir Thomas More: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?
William Roper: Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!
Sir Thomas More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons (1967), act I, p. 39.

I agree completely. The police union is being logical and sensible.

I gotta be honest here, this seems like an amazing example of “If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.”

This isn’t related to the secure area around the convention itself, which is already supposed to be gun-free. This is relating to the whole county.

If someone is the sort to make trouble, they just won’t follow the law. And banning guns in the whole county? What good does it do unless you also give police the right to frisk people when they haven’t (yet) done anything wrong? What a useless method of pretending that law-abiding gun owners are the problem.

–Jen

By the way, in which article of the constitution is Open Carry codified? There are numerous states of the Union where Open Carry is outlawed, so it can’t be in the Constitution of the United States.

And how you suggest the governor go about doing this? Can you point out in the Ohio constitution where it gives the governor of the right to suspend laws?

I wish there is a way that the government could force the black lives matter groups from spewing hatred of police but their isn’t.

It most certainly can be outlawed. What can’t be done is for the governor of the state to unilaterally suspend laws

realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/07/17/cleveland_police_association_president_obama_has_blood_on_his_hands.html

As many of youse guys know, I am not a fan of the armed society.

But given that we have one, trying to suspend it just because politicians are around is wrongheaded.

ICXC NIKA

The police union official seems to believe it may be unconstitutional, but he doesn’t care, which is the problem.

hmm what could possibly go wrong?:rolleyes: Maybe because if anyone dares to peacefully protest the likelihood of them getting shot probably increases by about 1000000% :shrug:

Isn’t open carry better than carrying a concelead gun? At least youcan see who has it…

Source?

Loomis is really, really bad. Trust me, I live near Cleveland.

With all the dissident groups converging on Cleveland, it seems like a recipe for disaster. I feel for those trying to control chaos.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.