polish national catholic church

Does the polish national catholic church eucharist have the true presence?

The PNCC has valid sacraments, but is not in union with the Catholic Church.

Yes, I believe that the Catholic Church recognizes that the PNCC has bishops in valid apostolic succession and valid sacraments. Pray for them to come into full communion with the Catholic Church.

The PNCC has 7 sacraments, but not identical with the RC 7. They have one sacrament for Baptism and Confirmation, even though they are usually administered to a person at different times. They have a sacrament for Hearing the Word of God, which I believe includes attention and response to the Scriptures and preaching at church.

By the way, that denomination usually identifies itself as just the National Catholic Church in recent years, they have eliminated much of the Polish language and probably some of the cultural references, to seek to attract persons not of Polish descent. But in the local Polish paper they advertise as PNCC. They still have some Polish traditions - the statue of Christ in the tomb, that non-Polish churches would normally not have on Good Friday. Some parishes also have the lenten devotion “Gorzkie Zale” (not sure of spelling), kind of prayerful reflection on “bitter lamentations” of the Crucifixion, and our sins, I think. But I think those Polish references will diminish over time.

Which is ironic, considering that the whole reason, or most of it anyway, for the “split” was because they wouldn’t allow them to teach Polish in the schools.

From the website of St.Michael the Archangel PNCC:

WE ARE A SACRAMENTAL CHURCH… which acknowledges the Seven Sacraments:
1. Baptism
2. Penance
3. Eucharist (The real presence of Jesus: Body and Blood/Soul and Divinity)
4. Confirmation
5. Holy Matrimony
6. Anointing of the Sick, (Holy Unction)
7. Holy Orders

The sacraments are identical in name and number. Historically speaking, they have been valid. The ordination of women by many of the Old Catholic Churches is another issue.

from another parish website (Holy Savior) of that denomination:

1. Baptism and Confirmation. We believe that these 2 are 1 sacrament because Confirmation completes Baptism. Baptism regenerates the soul. Recipients are forgiven their sins through God’s grace and become members of the church. Confirmation bestows on recipients the gifts of the Holy Spirit and strength to live the faith.

2. The Word of God. Listening to the priest read the Holy Scriptures and his explanation of them through the sermon helps members to know God’s will. (follows are the other 5 sacraments). This is consistent with literature I read years ago printed by the denomination itself.

Perhaps different parishes present it differently. Or maybe it is changing.

Besides the sacraments, there are some moral issue differences, such as contraception. But also a great deal of similarity.

Curious.

Here is the link to that page:

holysaviourpncc.org/sacraments.html

Priests who are ordained in the Polish National Catholic Church are allowed to marry.

Including women.

Here where I live (So. NH) there are two Polish churches; one is RC (St. Hedwig), the other PNCC (Holy Trinity).

My father’s side of the family attended St. Hedwigs but, do to a lot of internal issues in the parish, many people split off and joined PNCC in the early 1900’s. My g-grandfather’s brother ended up attending PNCC as well as some of my grandmother’s aunts. At first, this split affected many families causing a lot of rifts.Now, however, there are much closer ties between the two.

I don’t know how other PNCC parishes work, but the one here is VERY Polish and VERY connected to its Polish roots and the Polish community. They do quite a bit to promote the culture as well.

St. Hedwigs has a Polish language mass (the priest is well into his 90’s and is, I believe, only the third priest that parish has had since in founding in the early 1900’s!), I honestly don’t know if Holy Trinity does, but I believe so.

The mass, as I understand it is pre-Vatican II and combines many elements of Eastern Rite churches (e.g., as others pointed out, married clergy).

I guess you have no idea about the Polish National Church.

That is, I guess you have no idea about the Polish National Catholic Church!

AFAIK, the PNCC does not accept priestesses or bishopesses. Could you be confusing the PNCC with the Mariavites?

True, I stand corrected. I had forgotten that the Utrecht Union churches had begin ordaining women, but not the PNCC. Sorry about that. I see that the PNCC allows priests to marry a couple of years after ordination. That part does seem odd, but it certainly does not invalidate their orders.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.