Polish Nationalists Burn EU Imposed Gay Monument

joemygod.blogspot.com/2013/11/poland-christian-neo-nazis-torch.html

Background on the pictures:

A rainbow arch installation that was first installed in 2011 outside the European Parliament in Brussels has been burned by anti-gay extremists in Warsaw. One of the neo-Nazi groups participating in the rioting was All-Polish Youth, which calls for a Catholic theocracy in Poland and which has been condemned by Amnesty International as an anti-gay hate group

Stand up for traditional values? Neo-nazi!

Good for Poland! :thumbsup:

The OP cites a gay blog. Here is the news article which was the source for the blog post.

*Warsaw’s main boulevard, Marszalkowska, and neighbouring areas turned into a war zone on the Independence Day March on November 11. Row after row of mostly male youth marched along the boulevard spilling into sidewalks and side streets.They carried flags with Celtic crosses and white power fists, chanted slogans with visceral force and filled the centre of the city with fire-cracker smoke. The parade, with the number of protesters set at around 15,000, was organised by two of the most prominent far-right organisations in the country, the All-Polish Youth and the National-Radical Camp.

Few passers-by dared to stick around and watch the spectacle.

Within one hour of the start of the demonstration, participants had attacked two squats in the centre of Warsaw (Syrena and Przychodnia) and burnt down a rainbow installation in Plac Zbawicela, an artistic installation standing for diversity. After about two hours of marching and attacking the Russian embassy, the Polish police asked that the permit for the march be cancelled.*
aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2013/11/cloneofburning-down-rainbow-poland-2013111293719-2013111343533605488.html

I didn’t see anything in the blog post, or in the news article, which indicated that the art installation (which apparently is a traveling exhibit) was imposed by the EU.

Ahem. I live in Poland and it’s the first time ever I hear that the structure in question was “EU-imposed”.

Regarding All-Polish Youth, this a far-right organization which has been regularly rioting over the last 20 years. The idea of rioting against gays is fairly novel one – before that, they would riot against Jews (which we have few) and immigrants (which we have practically none).

Edit: 20 years ago far right in Poland would riot against the Catholic Church, which they viewed as a threat to independence like any other trans-national organization. Now they say that Catholic theocracy is a preferred for of government. Ah, times change.

There are ways to stand up for traditional values which do not include destruction of property. I think that this type of protest is more harmful than helpful to their cause.

I don’t think it is wise to support organisations that have long standing links going back decades to neo-Nazi groups. Nor do I think public disorder in the streets is the right way to apporach combatting the normalisation of homosexuality in society.

Neo-Nazis? Since when did militant nationalism make one a Neo-Nazi?

This group has had prosecutions launched against it in the Poland due to links with neo-Nazis, it also has links with neo-Nazi groups in the Ukraine and Russia. It is the successor of a group that stretches back before World War II which included leaders who praised Hitler and recommended particular controls be kept on Jews and other ethnic groups in Poland.

A step in the right direction. :thumbsup:

You cannot start a thread with a blog. The title is questionable. I am closing this thread; if you wish to start another following the forum rules with an appropriate news article link and appropriate title, that would be fine.

I would also note that advocating any kind of violence is against forum rules.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.