Political prisoners suffer inhumane conditions in Cuban prisons (CNA)

Havana, Aug 4, 2008 / 01:04 pm (CNA).- The president of the Christian Liberation Movement, Oswaldo Paya Sardinas, has again denounced the inhuman conditions in which political prisoners and prisoners of conscience are held in Cuba.http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/catholicnewsagency/dailynews/~4/355550676

Full article…

In a brief statement, Paya described the suffering of the prison population in Cuba, including a lack of medical care, poor nutrition, crowded conditions, censorship, invasive searches, and mistreatment by prison guards.

Too bad they aren’t in Gitmo. They’d at least get regular meals. Do you think Castro has them waterboarded?

Excuse the sarcasm, but there was a time when America could denounce dictators for the brutal treatment of their prisoners. I miss that time. And “we’re a little better than Castro” does not cheer me up.

Correction: We’re a LOT better than Castro. He just gets better press…

We used to be a lot better than Castro. That was before torture became acceptable practice.

And yes, it’s a bigger deal in the press when we do it, for the same reason it’s a bigger deal when your neighbor urinates on your carpet, than when your dog does it.

I see the typical America Bashers and Bush haters are responding.

Did you expect anything less? :rolleyes:

Hate does terrible things to people :frowning:

I see the typical America Bashers and Bush haters are responding.

Sad to say, some people have been brainwashed to think that deploring torture is “America Bashing.” Patriotism isn’t what it used to be for most of them.

Remember when Patriotism meant expecting your country to be the best? Remember when we could stand tall and denounce dictators like Castro for monitoring his people’s telephones, torturing prisoners, and holding political prisoners interminably without trial? It’s been a few years since we’ve been able to do that.

Here’s a level-headed assessment of the mess we are now in:

**Legal issues aside, the American people and government should never abide the use of torture by our military or intelligence agencies. A decent society never accepts or justifies torture. It dehumanizes both torturer and victim, yet seldom produces reliable intelligence. Torture by rogue American troops or agents puts all Americans at risk, especially our rank-and-file soldiers stationed in dozens of dangerous places around the globe. God forbid terrorists take American soldiers or travelers hostage and torture them as some kind of sick retaliation for Abu Gharib.

The greater issue presented by the Defense department memo, however, is the threat posed by unchecked executive power. Defense department lawyers essentially argue that a president’s powers as Commander-In-Chief override federal laws prohibiting torture, and the Justice department appears to agree. But the argument for extraordinary wartime executive powers has been made time and time again, always with bad results and the loss of our liberties. War has been used by presidents to excuse the imprisonment of American citizens of Japanese descent, to silence speech, to suspend habeas corpus, and even to control entire private industries.

It is precisely during times of relative crisis that we should adhere most closely to the Constitution, not abandon it. War does not justify the suspension of torture laws any more than it justifies the suspension of murder laws, the suspension of due process, or the suspension of the Second amendment.**

What “America-Basher” wrote that? Conservative Republican Ron Paul. There aren’t that many real conservatives around any more. The justification that it’s OK to violate the law when necessary is the Castro way. It’s also the Chinese way. It’s the Iranian way. But it was never the American way.

Paul, not surprisingly, has been denounced and villified by those who permitted torture of US prisoners. Hate does terrible things to people.

:clapping: It is the devil’s tool to turn things upside down. Hate for some is truth for the other. When nationalism becomes one’s god, one cannot see clearly enough to discern hate or love!

Good job Barbarian! :thumbsup: Truth will prevail in time…they killed Jesus for telling the Truth. God bless you in propagating such truth…we are a christian nation. Sometimes, one wonders if that is true!:frowning:

What’s a real conservative?

Barbarian,

I was just getting set to type a reply to the posters who think that criticism of the government is unpatrotic, but you’ve said it much better than I ever could… :tiphat:

:thumbsup:

Paul was right about torture. The CIA analysis shows that torture is counter-productive in getting people to tell you the truth.

It was apparently, simple anger and spite that drove the torture of prisoners held by the US in Guantanamo and Iraq. We let rage overrule our ethical standards. And the result was that our leaders descended to the level of our enemies.

In more ways than one.

I certainly don’t bash the United States of America; those who have allowed torture in the name of the Constitution, the very Constitution they have sworn to uphold, have already bashed her enough. Our values of liberty and presumed innocense before the law lie in shambles, our reputation as a nation of law has disappeared in the hypocrisy of hidden prisons and waterboarding, a democratic government once held as a shining beacon of hope and freedom for many desperate people throughout the world is now viewed with suspicion and disgust by those very same people, and you think those who point this out and protest against it are bashing America? I see them as patriots. As for bashing President Bush, his administration deserves a bit of bashing. Half the world, including most Americans, can’t wait to see the back of him.

It seems the left’s Anti-Bush and Anti-American hate has gotten so bad that they are delusional that torture is widespread at Gitmo. It is plain sick that they think that they “think” (if you can call it that) condition are like (and even worse) than it is in Marxist places like Cuba/China/North Korea.

Liberalism these days is nothing but hate.

Again, I reiterate that nationalism has become a god for many who, by this very fact, cannot know what is love and what is hate.

As far as the torture of G. inmates…well here goes…

Medical Exams of 11 Former Guantanamo, Abu Ghraib Detainees Show Torture, Human Rights Group Says
Medical Exams of 11 Former Guantanamo, Abu Ghraib Detainees Show Torture, Human Rights Group Says

WASHINGTON — Medical examinations of former terrorism suspects held by the U.S. military at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, found evidence of torture and other abuse that resulted in serious injuries and mental disorders, according to a human rights group.
For the most extensive medical study of former U.S. detainees published so far, Physicians for Human Rights had doctors and mental health professionals examine 11 former prisoners. The group alleges finding evidence of U.S. torture and war crimes and accuses U.S. military health professionals of allowing the abuse of detainees, denying them medical care and providing confidential medical information to interrogators that they then exploited.
foxnews.com/story/0,2933,…ns/waronterror

Now, tell me how is exposing the truth, hate? I never knew that that exposing the truth is ‘bashing’, or anti-american’ or ‘anti-Bush’…

This ‘liberalism’ statement is getting very old already. Maybe we need more educated statements backed by facts here.:shrug:

Sooooooooooo the article in the OP is about prisons in Cuba run by the Cuban gov’t but the posts are all about how America stinks … OK. Yeah, I think I do get it.

I’ll reiterate what others have already stated. Apparently the holier than thou America bashers are unable to comprehend that this thread is supposed to be about Cuban prisons, not Gitmo.

I was responding to this geezerbob! It is a fact that torture was used at Gitmo even if the thread is about Cuba. The problem is that the hate manifested by this one poster is very palpable unfortunately. It overflows no matter where he goes…

As far as holier than thou, I see many anti-canadian remarks being thrown around everywhere. The difference is that I will admit to the wrong we do as a country. Not so the other way around…

It seems the left’s Anti-Bush and Anti-American hate has gotten so bad that they are delusional that torture is widespread at Gitmo. It is plain sick that they think that they “think” (if you can call it that) condition are like (and even worse) than it is in Marxist places like Cuba/China/North Korea.

Have we degenerated to the point that we feel proud of the fact that we torture people, but not as much as some communist dictators do?

And is denouncing that degeneration as a serious offense, now to be considered Anti-American? In fact, it is the duty of every American to denounce such crimes like that. Torture strikes at the very heart of American values.

And it is the very depths of Anti-Americanism to perpetrate or defend such crimes. Such people can be considered “American” only in the sense that they live here. They have forgotten what our country is about.

Liberalism these days is nothing but hate.

The Bush administration, where decency is now classified as “liberalism” and hate.

I’ll reiterate what others have already stated. Apparently the holier than thou America bashers are unable to comprehend that this thread is supposed to be about Cuban prisons, not Gitmo.

I’m of the opinion that each of us should clean his own house before peeking into our neighbor’s windows. We should be deeply angered and concerned about communist dictators torturing people.

We should therefore be especially harsh in punishing our own leaders who torture people. And we should clean that filth out before we try to clean up other regimes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.