Political Protest: Display the Ten Commandments

Ladies and Gentlemen,

If you are as disgusted as I am with the Supreme Court’s interpretation of “separation of Church and State” to mean “Thou shalt not mention God or His Laws in public,” I would like to suggest a constructive activity to protest the decisions. The activity is simply this: Get copies of the Ten Commandments–the larger the better–and display them in whatever spaces you have control over. A yard sign in your front yard, a three-foot-high magnetic sign stuck to the side of your car, a poster in your office or workspace at work, all of these will help.

There will be a couple of beneficial side effects to this sort of thing as well. We will also see the Ten Commandments in front of us. It would help the protest even more if we were to obey them scrupulously.

• Liberian

Seperation of church and state is to protect EVERYONE. Is having the 10 commandments posted in or on a court building important enough to you that you are willing to have other sects codes of ethics likewise posted?

Same with prayer in school. It sounds fine if the prayer to be said is one of YOUR faith, but what if it wasn’t? Do you support prayer in school if your kids are being led in prayer of another faith, perhaps to another deity?

Go ahead, post the 10 commandments proudly. That is your right and I applaud people who live their faith. To ask the govrnment to post religious beliefs is not a good idea…too many religions out there.

cheddar

[quote=cheddarsox]Same with prayer in school. It sounds fine if the prayer to be said is one of YOUR faith, but what if it wasn’t? Do you support prayer in school if your kids are being led in prayer of another faith, perhaps to another deity?
[/quote]

In point of fact, our kids are currently being forced to pray to another deity in school - the deity of secular humanism. Moral relativism is the new gospel, with homosexuality and any other sexual perversion being actively taught as healthy, normal, and morally neutral (if not actually good!). Even basic Deism has been banned, so it’s no longer about “what if a Muslim was leading prayer” - which was a poor argument, anyway. Again, Athiesm/Agnosticism is the current state religion, and this legislation is completely contrary to the Constitution.

Why don’t you stand up against that enforcement of religion?

Luke 11:23
He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters.

[
Luke 16:13](“http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=47&chapter=12&verse=30&version=50&context=verse”) “No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.”

God bless,
RyanL

Why is it a “protest” to do something you already had and still have the right to do?

Only 3 of the 10 commandments have anything to do with laws or government, and those 3 don’t say anything very unique - don’t lie, steal, or kill are pretty darn basic - even to secular humanists.

The mixing of state and church never works and ignorance of history is no excuse.

[quote=Liberian]…Get copies of the Ten Commandments–the larger the better–and display them in whatever spaces you have control over. A yard sign in your front yard, a three-foot-high magnetic sign stuck to the side of your car, a poster in your office or workspace at work, all of these will help.

• Liberian
    [/quote]

Not a bad idea, but as Catholics, maybe hang a rosary from your rear view mirror, plus if you want, stick the 10 commandments on your tailgate, etc.

[quote=cheddar]To ask the govrnment to post religious beliefs is not a good idea…too many religions out there.
[/quote]

…, But only one true religion.

[quote=RyanL]In point of fact, our kids are currently being forced to pray to another deity in school - the deity of secular humanism. Moral relativism is the new gospel, with homosexuality and any other sexual perversion being actively taught as healthy, normal, and morally neutral (if not actually good!)…
[/quote]

This is where the discussion should be. All empires have their religion, whether they call it one or not.

[quote=patg]The mixing of state and church never works and ignorance of history is no excuse.
[/quote]

See above. Seperation of Church and State is an illusion. A Theocracy is not required (nor desired), but the State needs to recognize God and His principles. There used to be an idea of a partnership of Church and State.

One of my friends owns a farm. She is seriously considering having the 10 Commandments painted on the side of the barn–& it’s a big barn! :thumbsup:

[quote=Zooey]One of my friends owns a farm. She is seriously considering having the 10 Commandments painted on the side of the barn–& it’s a big barn! :thumbsup:
[/quote]

That is untouchable by the Anti-Christian Luciferian Utopians (ACLU), for now at least. Then again, if the barn is within 5 miles of a school or courthouse…

www.veritas-catholic.blogspot.com

[quote=Zooey]One of my friends owns a farm. She is seriously considering having the 10 Commandments painted on the side of the barn–& it’s a big barn! :thumbsup:
[/quote]

That is untouchable by the Anti-Christian Luciferian Utopians (ACLU), for now at least. Maybe if the barn is within 5 miles of a school…

www.veritas-catholic.blogspot.com

[/quote]

It is not uncommon in my neck of the woods for people to put up a sign in the yard that have the 10 commandments on it. They are being commercially produced.

There are not many Catholics here, but those who are have statues of the Virgin in the garden, and St Francis is seen even in non catholic gardens.

I think it is a wonderful thing for people to celebrate their faith proudly!

cheddar

[quote=RyanL]In point of fact, our kids are currently being forced to pray to another deity in school - the deity of secular humanism. Moral relativism is the new gospel, with homosexuality and any other sexual perversion being actively taught as healthy, normal, and morally neutral (if not actually good!). Even basic Deism has been banned, so it’s no longer about “what if a Muslim was leading prayer” - which was a poor argument, anyway. Again, Athiesm/Agnosticism is the current state religion, and this legislation is completely contrary to the Constitution.

Why don’t you stand up against that enforcement of religion?

Luke 11:23
He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters.

%between%Luke 16:13
"No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon."

God bless,
RyanL
[/quote]

I am not sure what you are referring to in our kids being forced to pray to “secular humanism”, While I do disagree with things that are taught in the schools, my kids have never been forced to pray to anything there.

It is my job as a parent to teach my kids right and wrong, my family’s and our religion’s version, not the cultural version.

Perhaps things are different in your school system. While I do know our district teaches values, it does not teach religion, and the values are things like honesty, sportsmanship etc.

When I feel my schools are doing something inappropriate, I do speak out.

And I do think the arguement as to who’s prayer would be used is extremely valid.

I do not send my children to school with a moral vacuum, that easily sucks up everything around it. I send them filled with strong values.

cheddar

[quote=cheddarsox]While I do disagree with things that are taught in the schools, my kids have never been forced to pray to anything there.
[/quote]

this may be true for your district, but in california in order to pass the 8th grade students are forced (FORCED – as a parent you can’t object, its required by the state certifications) to take a three week course on islam… during which time children are (at least in the district of my little sister) required to demonstrate proper position for the muslim prayers on a prayer rug.

dont think that there is seperation of church and state. the only thing ACLU wants to get seperated from the state is christianity. We have got to push back for our rights to equal unbiased representation at the very least.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.