Poll: Americans stretch the truth on attending church

(RNS) “I know what you did last Sunday,” claims the title of a new survey.

You skipped church. And then nearly one in seven of you fibbed about attending.

That’s according to a new survey by the Public Religion Research Institute released Saturday (May 17). The study, to be presented at the national meeting of the American Association for Public Opinion Research, was designed to measure the “social desirability bias in self-reported religious behavior.”

religionnews.com/2014/05/17/christians-church-atheists-prri

Plus phone interviews often happen when one is within earshot of those whom they may not be open about their religious tendencies with.

On the positive side, it’s good to know that many people who are not yet assisting at Mass, have a sense that they should be doing so.

May the Holy spirit continue to guide them home.
Amen.

The priests and bishops know.

Who paid for the survey?

What were the questions?

How is it known whether people answered honestly?

Just curious.

I wonder how much money they spent figuring out what I was taught in college many years ago, “Self report data is unreliable for determining facts, except facts about how people want to appear.”

Perhaps they’d like to spend more money researching something else I was taught, “Phone poll respondants (actually all voluntary poll respondants, but especially over the phone) are a self-selecting skewed sample.”

All of Sailor Kenshin’s questions are important as well.

Also, I would like to see the evidence of their assumption that online responses are more accurate. I’m not saying it’s not so, but you can’t just assume it, you’d really have to prove it. And I can’t imagine a sample that is more self-selectingly skewed than online poll respondants. (However, they didn’t mention that when I was in school, because it wasn’t a big polling medium at the time.)

–Jen

Social desirability threatens the validity of many tests and studies, and psychologists are well aware of it.

LOVE! :heart:

:ouch:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.