Poll: BP Oil Spill Response Rated Worse than Katrina

"Poll: BP Oil Spill Response Rated Worse than Katrina

By more than a 2-to-1 margin, Americans support the pursuit of criminal charges in the nation's worst oil spill , with increasing numbers calling it a major environmental disaster. Eight in 10 criticize the way BP's handled it – and more people give the federal government's response a negative rating than did the response to Hurricane Katrina. "...

Entire article: abcnews.go.com/PollingUnit/Media/poll-bp-oil-spill-rated-worse-katrina-criminal-charges/story?id=10846473

NOW they want the government to do something. So much for having too much government in our lives. People are too fickle, methinks.

[quote="ProVobis, post:2, topic:201088"]
NOW they want the government to do something. So much for having too much government in our lives. People are too fickle, methinks.

[/quote]

Methinks liberals do not understand the proper roles of government in our lives and how it can bring good for the people by the people and it can bring bad on the people.

[quote="bbarrick8383, post:3, topic:201088"]
Methinks liberals do not understand the proper roles of government in our lives and how it can bring good for the people by the people and it can bring bad on the people.

[/quote]

Why the labelling? It really severs no purpose other than to vent. It seems as if no one knows what the proper role of government is. First of all, we people are supposed to be the government, but that doesn't seem the case today.

But I was digressing. I don't see how a natural event can be compared with a man-made catastrophe. We can't set rules against preventing natural events.

[quote="ProVobis, post:4, topic:201088"]
Why the labelling?

[/quote]

Because it was a very liberal thing to say.

It really severs no purpose other than to vent.

Identification as well.

It seems as if no one knows what the proper role of government is. First of all, we people are supposed to be the government, but that doesn't seem the case today.

It hasn't been the case for a long time.

But I was digressing. I don't see how a natural event can be compared with a man-made catastrophe. We can't set rules against preventing natural events.

Kind of hard to set rules to prevent man made events as well. You can set punishments, but rules mean nothing when you have a corrupt political system such as ours.

This thing being out in the gulf like this, and having an impact on several states puts it right in the lap of the federal government to help in the cleanup.

I think that the gulf states should be the one's to receive the mineral rights of these offshore wells, an even split. And if I were them, I'd consider setting up a fund the money from the mineral rights would go directly into to help pay for these situations.

Let's be fair here. What exactly do people think Obama should be doing differently?

Cricket noises.....

The Federal failure here is that BP was allowed to conduct drilling like this apparently without ever developing a true contingency plan for what to do in the event of a catastrophic failure. Given the timeline here, I must point out that the rules in place at the time this drilling started rather predate Obama's time in office.

Blaming Obama for the BP disaster is as foolish as blaming Bush for 9/11 unreadiness.

[quote="manualman, post:6, topic:201088"]
Let's be fair here. What exactly do people think Obama should be doing differently?

Cricket noises.....

[/quote]

Umm...let's see.

Deploying military quartermaster units to supply the people who are trying to clean this mess up with good clean water to keep them hydrated while they are working in this heat.

Making phone calls to get every tanker he can in the gulf to start skimming and treating as much of this oil as they can.

Making sure that oil is being sold to pay for the cleanup.

Taking up offers from other countries, who have offered, to help clean up.

Just to name a few.

BP has their hands full, as they should. They need all the help they can get right now. Once the problem has been fixed, then Obama and Co. can put their boots wherever they wish to put them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.