Poll for Catholics who support Obama

I had to take both sides of the abortion debate when I took a ‘speaking class’ for work several years ago. The topic was assigned. One day I spoke for seven minutes supporting abortion, the next day I spoke for seven minutes against abortion. I thought my arguments were pretty convincing either way. Of course in the end I just further solidified my pro-life stance. I’m glad pro-life was last because I think it left the best impression and may have had an effect on some co-workers in the class. Although I am entrenched prolife I think I can intelectually see both sides.

For Obama supporters (please, this of course voluntary)

What criteria for Obama overides the “non-negotiable” abortion issue?

1. other social justice issues
  2. fiscal responsibility
  3. foreign policy
  4. unwavering democrat
  5. Other (post explanation if you like)

For me other social issues is what is making me want to vote for Obama. I’m upset that the church is backing Romney since, according to the Church, he isn’t a Christian! I don’t want a non-Christian as president of the USA! Also, Romney seems to consider everyone who isn’t a business success as lazy and only wanting to sponge off government. He doesn’t seem to care at all for the poor or disabled. He collected Social Security benefits because his dad died, but he doesn’t want anyone else to benefit from the goverment. How can someone so heartless lead this great nation?

Unfortunately, nothing can override abortion or the other evil which Obama now supports, gay “marriage.” So I can’t vote in the poll. However, if Obama were anti-abortion and anti-gay-marriage, I could definitely support him over Romney. Too bad.:blush:

Really when did Pope Benedict come on and issued a papal decree endorsing Mitt Romney for President? :rolleyes:

I don’t want a non-Christian as president of the USA!

Too late you already got one, Obama has been one of the most pro-secular President with a very cold attitude towards Christians and Christianity.

I don’t have a horse in this race, but I would like to point out that it could be possible that nothing is overriding abortion, but that the catholic is pro choice. And according to a lot of surveys, that isn’t an uncommon stance.

So if Pope Benedict hasn’t said Catholics must vote for Romney, what’s all the fuss about on CAF as to whether a Catholic can vote for Obama? It’s a heavy topic I know on the News subforum. :shrug:

I do wish though CAF didn’t allow Catholics to say of a man baptized a Christian in the United Church of Christ, who married his wife in the UCC, then had their children baptized. And who as POTUS has worshiped at Christian services at St John’s Episcopal Church near the WH and has received communion there, to say such things as he has a very cold attitude towards Christians and Christianity. :rolleyes:

The last I checked both the UCC and TEC were considered Christian by your church.

The OP invited me to his thread. I didn’t vote since I don’t meet the criteria of being a Catholic. But I am voting for Obama for many reasons. Other social justice issues being among the primary. As far as being upset, I know for myself the Catholic Church’s seemingly growing emphasis of Republican issues over the yrs has turned me off. Just this yr alone I look at the negative reaction Catholic Sister Simone and the nuns on the bus against the Ryan budget have received in some conservative Catholic circles and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. When I watched Sister Simone speak at the Democratic Party Convention, I OTOH actually stood in my living room and applauded.

To be fair, I would just like to point out that a lot of the disagreement in opinions springs, not from a lack of caring about those who are in need, but from a different understanding of the way to solve these problems. It is true that there are many people on both sides, democrats and republicans, who just follow along without really thinking, but there are also a lot of people who have thought about this a lot and just come to the conclusion that the best way to solve the problem is a different method than that of the democrats. I’m not trying to start a debate here, just trying to point out that its important to recognize our own biases (I am talking to everyone here, not just democrats) and learn to realize that what seems to one person to be a callous position against the rights of some group of individuals is actually often just springing from a different opinion as to how the problems in society are to be solved. Even if you disagree about the method for solving societies issues, it is important to be able to recognize the sincerity of intent in trying to solve these issues, and so respect those who disagree with you as to the means necessary for solving the issues in society. Painting either party as evil and being disgusted by all that goes on in either party is not at all helpful for getting real discussion and action going to fix our problems, it just breeds division.

What criteria for Obama overides the “non-negotiable” abortion issue?

1. other social justice issues
  2. fiscal responsibility
  3. foreign policy
  4. unwavering democrat
  5. Other (post explanation if you like)

Since none of the choices includes anything remotely approaching murder…, I have to choose “5. Other (none of the above)”.

I am curious as to how this poll will go. I can not vote, as I do not support him. I think it would good and maybe informative to allow those who wish to answer do so without fear of ambush. There are plenty of other threads where this debate can go to be more heated.

I think miguel (or jose) was wise to make it private.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Agreed!

It is sad that we currently live in a culture in which condoning the murder of innocent babies can be considered as one issue among many. I can see how one can overlook his support for gay marriage, even then it’s kinda tough to support him, but there is no way I could ever support an openly pro-choice candidate.

Not that I would support him even if he wasn’t pro-choice since the economy has only gotten worse since he’s gotten in office.

I highly doubt that Romney is not Christian, but even if he wasn’t, Obama isn’t much of a Christian either. He supports gay marriage, abortion, and having birth control covered under his healthcare plan. If Obama is Christian, he’s certainly not letting that influence any of his presidential decisions.

Nominal Christianity is as nominal Christianity does. As a black separatist Christian, Rev. Jeremiah Wright contravenes the notion of equality: salvation for Jew and Gentile, slave and free, male and female. Equality must be upheld for all, like rallying to find the slayer of Donald Young, choir director of Rev. Wright’s church, and long-time friend of Barack Obama. Larry Sinclair, an associate of Barack Obama, suggests the answer as to why the indifference to the shooting of Young on the part his church and the Chicago police.

amazon.com/Barack-Obama-Larry-Sinclair-Cocaine/dp/0615345069/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347388461&sr=8-1&keywords=larry+sinclair

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQapnpmYOl8ce-UNtPjFNzhN8ZQTgCCJ6lwdkiRyrzR5drQ1wvu

Isn’t that the black supremacy church that said “GD America” instead of God Bless America", and that Obama had to deny going there during his campaign days?

I just wanted to apologize to Austenbosten for assuming he was already a Catholic. I see he is in RCIA. Regardless it remains Obama himself is a Christian as explained above.

:rolleyes: Christians professing and worshiping Christ may disagree on theology and such. But they are Christians.

I see other social issues is leading in this poll.

This gives us common ground, okay, I understand this, people think Obama may be helping those in part who live in poorer areas. To help the poor is noble and I do think this is an aim of Obama’s but one would have to ask if this is working. Also, what about Obama’s own Chicago? Is it working there?

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ Matthew 7: 21-23

There’s only one correct answer to the question of what it means to be Christian. Some things are up for interpretation, discussion, etc…other things are not. Supporting abortion either directly, or indirectly by voting for someone who directly supports it, is not doing the will of the Father.

The Church isn’t backing Romney. The Church has certain beliefs and positions that happen to be supported by Republicans.

Not Romney, whose father was President of AMC and Governor of Michigan. Paul Ryan’s father died when Paul was a teenager, and he collected SS benefits.

I usually stay out of these types of discussions, but I would like to ask the Obama supporters a question.

How has he helped the poor? We are poor. The only thing he has done is force the poor to be government dependent. The cost of gasoline is almost $4 a gallon which forces the price of food to go up, among other things. Our life has become much harder since he became president.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.