Poll: Gift of praying in tongues

I wanted to try to find out whre the posters here stand regarding the gift of tongues. Thanks for your input!

Actually, my opinion isn’t on the poll. It is: While I thoroughly believe that there is a gift of tongues, I do not believe that it is the often presented ‘glossolalia’ whereby people just seem to make ‘sounds.’ In Scripture, when the gift of tongues is spoken of, there is always mention also that there is the need of the gift of those who interpret the tongues. Now, to me, (and especially in readings Acts) the gift of tongues was that of allowing a person to speak/understand a language that he/she did not know–and mostly that language was a purely’ human’ one. For example, a person who knew absolutely no Greek would, on finding a man who only spoke Greek and who hungered to hear of Christ, would be given the ‘gift of tongues’ and find himself able to speak Greek and thus to satisfy the hunger of a soul thirsting to know God. And while the Spirit, we know ‘sighs and groans’ in what we do not understand, and there may indeed be a language ‘above’ human language, it is highly unlikely it would be the type of 'lalaholybaldilaba" type sounds that are so often heard and claimed as ‘tongues.’ After all, God is a spirit. The Father and the Holy Spirit are pure Spirit; Christ is body and Spirit. If there is a ‘language’ beyond ‘human’ language, it would be more likely to be a ‘spiritual’ type of language and communicated by the Spirit and to use the spirit. . .not the body. I would think it would be a ‘silent’ type of language (in fact, the Quakers are probably closer to this understanding) and, being 'silent", again it would require interpretation by somebody to make that plain.

So I do believe in the gift of tongues and I think it’s a wonderful gift, but I don’t think that most of the people claiming the ‘gift of tongues’ really have the actual gift itself. I think they make themselves ‘feel’ that they do. But I have known very very few cases where the ‘gift of tongues’ ever involved somebody doing anything other than standing around mumbling vowel sounds, looking heavenward, and then afterward saying how WONDERFUL and ‘connected’ they felt to God, but nobody ever actually saying what they thought they were hearing and saying with the lalalalas. No interpreter. . .

Just my opinion and note carefully that I say ‘most’ which is a very nebulous kind of quantity. There could be hundreds of thousands of people for all I know (and compared to billions of people on earth that is still a ‘few’) who really have the gift so please do note flame me to pieces.

well I meant the gift of tongues "praying in tongues" that is done in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal. I don't know how to go back and change the poll, so I guess your vote would be "I do not believe that this exists."

by the way, there have been many instances of people praying in tongues at charismatic events which were interpreted as real languages by someone who knew that language. Of course, it may just have sounded like nonsense to those who didn't know the language. Someone spoke about this in post #24 in this thread: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=370682&highlight=tongues&page=2

Praying in the Spirit and with understanding....Hi Bro...Do I know you from CF..You seem familiar..peace to you..

Hey brother in Christ,

yep we do know each other from there :thumbsup: Praise the Lord Jesus Christ.

Hey I was praying for you just about a week ago, and look who I run into! God bless you Kim.

I have prayed the Rosary in tongues.

I was alone, I knew what I was saying but the words came out different.

It was very peaceful.

Dana

[quote="Flame_of_Christ, post:3, topic:178845"]
well I meant the gift of tongues "praying in tongues" that is done in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal. I don't know how to go back and change the poll, so I guess your vote would be "I do not believe that this exists."

by the way, there have been many instances of people praying in tongues at charismatic events which were interpreted as real languages by someone who knew that language. Of course, it may just have sounded like nonsense to those who didn't know the language. Someone spoke about this in post #24 in this thread: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=370682&highlight=tongues&page=2

[/quote]

Anybody remember the story of Lot? Saint Gregory reminds us "Lot, who was so chaste in the city, defiled himself in the wilderness".

Charismatic "prayer" is in this silly language... which then requires re-translation back into English. Find me one example in all of Scripture where the Spirit, out of desire to show off his awesome skills.... touched two people... one to talk in a nonsense language.... and another to translate it.... when the speaker already speaks the native language of his people.

You won't find an example. Know why? Because the Holy Spirit doesn't have human characteristics such as vanity.

There is only one beneficiary of glossolalia.... you.... and that relies on the approval of those around you.

Be wary of the 'salvation' you find among others.... if it might cost you your soul in the desert.

[quote="Flame_of_Christ, post:5, topic:178845"]
Hey brother in Christ,

yep we do know each other from there :thumbsup: Praise the Lord Jesus Christ.

Hey I was praying for you just about a week ago, and look who I run into! God bless you Kim.

[/quote]

Hey thanks..It just seemed like you bro..I just see the love of Jesus in your posts.....I'll take that prayer..We have a mobile home to sell so we can get out of debt for the days ahead....Need finances released for a buyer..May you be blessed here.. some of your own didn't treat you too kindly..You handled it so gracefully..Great peace to you...Kim

St. Paul does say that there is a form of tongues that no one can understand. Paul writes “He who speaks in a tongues does not speak to human beings, for no one understands him, for he utters mysteries in the Spirit.” 1 Cor 14:2

He also says that one who speaks in a tongue edifies himself. 1 Cor 14:4 This edification, of oneself as you pray in tongues, is because you are speaking to God. Praise the Lord!

you mentioned people speaking in a language they already know but that is not what we are talking about. That wouldn’t be the gift of tongues at all.

I do believe in the gift of tongues, but don’t think it’s given near as often as it’s claimed. When the charismatic renewal was more active in our area, I went to all the Masses and was given a gift, but not tongues. I don’t think tongues are necessary as some Catholic charismatics believe and it’s interesting that our Protestant charismatic brothers and sisters don’t usually believe it’s necessary, either. However, one recurring unpleasant experience I kept having was that whenever I went up for prayer from a prayer team, no matter who they were or what parish, I was always, without exception, pressured to pray in tongues. I was told on more than one occasion to just start saying nonsense syllables and the Holy Spirit would take over and do the rest.
As a result, I think there were a lot of people who were doing just that, making sounds and attributing it to the Holy Spirit. There was so much pressure, there was a general sense that you didn’t quite fill the bill if you weren’t speaking or singing in tongues. That was in my current diocese. On the other hand, in another diocese I was in, I sat next to a woman I didn’t know at the very first charismatic Mass I attended. She was in her 60’s, I would guess, a large, robust woman with a robust voice. When she sang in tongues, however, what came out of her was the voice of a little child. It wasn’t contrived. There’s no way that voice could have come naturally out of that woman. I knew in my heart it was legitimate.

Hi brother! :)

Hey sister. :slight_smile: Praise God… I can see that you are busy on these threads! Keep up the good work for Jesus our Lord.

[quote="FickleFreckled, post:10, topic:178845"]
I do believe in the gift of tongues, but don't think it's given near as often as it's claimed. When the charismatic renewal was more active in our area, I went to all the Masses and was given a gift, but not tongues. I don't think tongues are necessary as some Catholic charismatics believe and it's interesting that our Protestant charismatic brothers and sisters don't usually believe it's necessary, either. However, one recurring unpleasant experience I kept having was that whenever I went up for prayer from a prayer team, no matter who they were or what parish, I was always, without exception, pressured to pray in tongues. I was told on more than one occasion to just start saying nonsense syllables and the Holy Spirit would take over and do the rest.
As a result, I think there were a lot of people who were doing just that, making sounds and attributing it to the Holy Spirit. There was so much pressure, there was a general sense that you didn't quite fill the bill if you weren't speaking or singing in tongues. That was in my current diocese. On the other hand, in another diocese I was in, I sat next to a woman I didn't know at the very first charismatic Mass I attended. She was in her 60's, I would guess, a large, robust woman with a robust voice. When she sang in tongues, however, what came out of her was the voice of a little child. It wasn't contrived. There's no way that voice could have come naturally out of that woman. I knew in my heart it was legitimate.

[/quote]

I know a few people from our prayer group who received the gift of tongues in this way that you described. Two of them really had a wonderful experience as they asked the Lord for this gift and began to speak a few sylablles out. What came next for them was nothing short of miraculous. Tongues began to flow out of them without they themselves making up the words.

I do agree that tongues are not necessary with regard to our salvation but that does not mean that they aren't helpful to our salvation. Tongues can really strengthen your relationship with the Holy Trinity.

Gee, I can take select quotes from the Bible out of context as well (I can also read something into said quotes other than what was being said, if you would like). Which case would you like me to support? Seriously. Pick one. How about child abuse?

Did you READ all of the first letter, or did you just read that verse because someone told you to? Check out verses 6-14.

He also says that one who speaks in a tongue edifies himself. This edification, of oneself as you pray in tongues, is because you are speaking to God. Praise the Lord!

God created you, and gave you the faculties to speak the language you do. He understands that language as well as any other. Which prophets did God speak to in a language other than what they speak? What people did Christ speak to in a language other than what they speak? On what basis do you know that language IS God’s language?

This concept of “tongues” is nonsense, and exists only for the benefit of your self esteem that you might impress others. You need “proof” that God exists… and you have “tongues”.

you mentioned people speaking in a language they already know but that is not what we are talking about. That wouldn’t be the gift of tongues at all.

Joe and Bob are in church. Joe and Bob’s church are native speakers of English. So are Joe and Bob.

Tongues scenario

Joe speaks in “tongues” to Bob.

Bob “interprets” the “tongues” into English so that everyone can understand.

The Holy Spirit is not a show-off. Joe and Bob, however, are. This is why I mentioned Lot. It applies.

Flame of Christ,
Just so you won't misunderstand, the issue I was referring to was not whether tongues are necessary for salvation - of course they aren't - but whether they were necessary to being a "charismatic." According to quite a few charismatics, they are. I disagree.

To those posters who feel the need to prove, to "teach" or to argue, why? Do these kinds of discussions always have to become accusatory and ridiculing?

I think that you voted the last choice.

Our Popes do know that we pray in tongues this way in the Charismatic Renewal. I apologize if it hasn’t been properly explained to you and I hope that you feel more comfortable about tongues after this thread is done.

here is a video showing that Pope John Paul II knew how we prayed and he never raised any concerns about it. That for me helps me to know that the church is supporting this gift.

youtube.com/watch?v=J-QDOcDGDWA

Ecclesiastes 7:5
1 Peter 2:15

[quote="Flame_of_Christ, post:1, topic:178845"]
I wanted to try to find out whre the posters here stand regarding the gift of tongues. Thanks for your input!

[/quote]

I leave open the possibility of tongues being genuine in a few people but the vast majority of people who claim to speak in tongues are faking it.
How many of these people actually submit themselves to the Church to discern if the gift is real or not. Very few, if any, because they know they would be shown to be fakes.

The speaking in tongues, as mentioned by Paul, simply means the gift of being able to speak a foreign (but real) language the person could not speak before.

I never really thought about applying the term charismatic to anyone, but I do use it so that people know that I pray in that way. I guess to be catholic, you would have to do catholic things and to be charismatic, you would do charismatic things. I am really not here to judge who is who though, I just wanted to know where people stood regarding tongues.

God bless you brother in Christ

in our diocese, San Francisco, we have a Liason to the Archbishop for the charismatic renewal. Most dioceses have this from what I know. This person, a priest btw, is the middle man between the archbishop and the renewal. I think that this is a good way of having the church discern the charismatic gifts, because he does.

here is a link that talks about the different varieties of the gift of tongues, because not all of tongues are for other people to understand, although I do agree that some are:

part 1
catholiccharismatic.us/ccc/articles/Van_Cleef/Gifts/tongues_a.html

part 2
catholiccharismatic.us/ccc/articles/Van_Cleef/Gifts/tongues_b.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.