Poll: Independent candidate Evan McMullin in statstical tie with Clinton and Trump in Utah

Poll: Independent candidate Evan McMullin in statstical tie with Clinton and Trump in Utah

Independent presidential candidate Evan McMullin is in a statistical tie with Republican Donald Trump and Democrat Hillary Clinton in Utah, according to a new poll from the state.

The state-wide poll, released by Mormon-owned Deseret News, found that Trump and Clinton are tied at 26 percent, and McMullin, who has been campaigning for only two months, garnered 22 percent. Libertarian Gary Johnson also received double-digit support with 14 percent.

The poll proves that McMullin, whose home state is Utah, is within striking distance of winning Utah. If that were to happen, he would be the first independent candidate to win electoral votes in almost a half century.

(read more)

Very interesting. I never heard of this guy until this morning and he only started campaigning in August. If ever there was an opportunity for a third party and/or independent candidate to make a dent in our dualistic voting patterns, this would be the year to do so.

This could be big. I’ve posted this in another thread – what I am hoping against hope will happen is the a minor-party candidate can take one or two states and deprive both Trump and Clinton of an electoral-college majority. Then the election would go to the House of Representatives, and they could throw everyone out and start over.

(No surprise that McMullin is showing well in Utah; he is a Mormon.)

Makes me feel better about this election. Just barely.

ICXC NIKA

Already a thread on Utah

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.