Poll: majority of Catholics who attend Mass weekly support same-sex marriage, women's ordination [CWN]

A majority of Catholics in the United States who attend Mass weekly support same-sex marriage and the ordination of women to the priesthood, according to a Quinnipiac University survey …

More…

Unbelievable,especially same sex marriage, an abomination in the eyes of God…

" if one blind man follows another, both fall into the pit. "

Not surprised at all. :thumbsup:

Not surprising. A lot of people have many positive interactions with kind and loving gay friends, co-workers, relatives. These temper their opinions. It’s difficult to be too hard hearted when it’s personal like that.

More info on that ‘poll’.

*From September 23 - 29, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,776 American adults with a margin of error of +/- 2.3 percentage points. The survey includes 392 Catholics with a margin of error of +/- 5 percentage points. Live interviewers call land lines and cell phones.

**The Quinnipiac University Poll, directed by Douglas Schwartz, Ph.D., conducts public opinion surveys in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Florida, Iowa, Ohio, Colorado, Virginia and the nation as a public service and for research.
This whole thing is based on one WEEK and 1776 people, of whom all of 392 were Catholics, and from that they posit a MAJORITY of US Catholics?

Pardon me while I try to stop my eyes from rolling.

It seems kind of ironic to find a poll in which a majority of Catholics support two impossibilities.

It’s sort of like saying, why yes, I favor square circles because I am compassionate.

Statistics are 95% accurate to their margin of error. This means that there is a 95% chance that anywhere between 48% and 58% of weekly-Mass Catholics support SS’M’ and female ordination. So there is a fairly high chance (probably > 85%) that a majority of weekly Mass Catholics support them.

If you don’t understand statistics, please don’t criticize a poll’s methodology. 392 is a high enough number for +/- 5% MoE.

As to the topic, I’m not really surprised. I know a lot of people who go to Mass weekly (mostly under-30s) who see no problem with SS’M’ because they grew up thinking their parents’ views were outdated. It wouldn’t surprise me that between them, the parents who have gay children, and those who have close gay friends and family members, many people would misunderstand the Church’s position and change their own view of SS’M’ in violation of it.

Sadly, there are a lot of heretics and ignorant Catholics within our Church. Pray that they educate themselves and/or convert their hearts.

Let us pray.
O God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, we call upon Thy Holy Name, and as supplicants, we implore Thy clemency, that by the intercession of Mary, ever Virgin Immaculate and our Mother, and of the glorious St. Michael the Archangel, Thou wouldst deign to help us against Satan and all the other unclean spirits who wander about the world for the injury of the human race and the ruin of souls. Amen.”

It seems to me that there are others who question the results of the poll also, including Bill Donahue from Catholic League, so I am not too sure about the results.

That being said, though, even if the results were lower, even if there were very few, it would still be a problem. We need to be Catholic in more than name only. It is very hard to go against the culture. The culture’s voice is so very loud and strong. We have work to do as Catholics and we need to be prayer warriors for everyone who is being deceived by the culture of death.

So obviously you approve of same-sex (faux) “marriage” and women’s ordination, even though your bishops and Rome have spoken against both in official documents, including encyclicals.

After the sixties, nothing surprises me anymore.

Bill Donohue comments on a Quinnipiac poll released today:

There are more than 78 million Catholics in the U.S. and Quinnipiac interviewed 392 of them. The actual number of Catholics who go to Mass on a weekly basis that they interviewed was 153. Most polls ask self-identified Catholics if they “attend church weekly”; “attend church nearly every week or monthly”; or “seldom or never attend church.” Not this one—there were just two choices: “attend weekly” or “less.” In other words, the poll does not distinguish between those who attend monthly and those who have stopped going—they’re lumped together.

They are lumped together for a reason, and it is a dishonest one: Every poll ever taken shows that the more practicing the Catholic is, the more in line he is with the Church’s teachings. In this poll, 60 percent of the Catholics questioned said they do not attend church weekly. Keep in mind that many of these never attend! To what extent can a person be considered a Catholic if he never practices his religion? About as much as a teetotaler can be considered a boozer.

Last March, Quinnipiac interviewed 497 Catholics; this poll is even worse. The margin of error in the poll released today is plus or minus 5 percent; this is worse than the 4 percent figure in the March poll.

The data on abortion are particularly interesting. It is being reported that 36 percent of Catholics think abortion should be legal in most cases. But the figure drops to 20 percent for Catholics who attend church weekly; it is 45 percent for those who do not. Fully 61 percent of practicing Catholics think abortion should be illegal in most cases, while only 29 percent of non-practicing Catholics think this way. These differences are huge, but don’t look for the media, or Quinnipiac, to trumpet them.

Maurice Carroll, the director of the poll, delights in saying how Catholics differ with the “pulpit thundering” perspective they are offered. Spoken like a man who hasn’t seen a pulpit in decades.

catholicleague.org/quinnipiac-poll-is-flawed

Nothing from that link refutes the poll. Again, small samples can be extrapolated, but have a margin of error to 95%. There is a 95% chance that the number is between 48% and 58% of weekly-Mass Catholics. Just saying “oh no there’s only 392 total, that’s such a small number,” as Donahue does, shows an ignorance for statistics. Use the statistics as encouragement for better catechesis; don’t deny them.

Also, as for the comment on “lumping together” non-weekly-Mass Catholics, that doesn’t affect the 48-58% number at all, regardless of its accuracy as an argument.

I’m not surprised in the least either. We have not taught or preached the full truth in at least two generations.:frowning:

You would give approval to the secular culture while opposing the teaching of Christ?

May the fear of God be restored to the many “camps” in the Catholic world.

Your statement is so very true, Deacon, but I’m afraid I’m losing patience with the dissidents aka the progressives, and therefore, the “enlightened ones.” Most of them know exactly what the Church teaches and want nothing to do with it because it differs from their own opinions.

No, that’s pretty standard polling methodology and backed up with sound theory. It’s the same methods they use to predict (usually with great accuracy) the results of national elections.

A good example: the proportion of Catholics in the sample is right around 22% which is just about their representation in the national population. So it is a safe bet that the sample is not terribly skewed.

Full disclosure: am a statistician by trade.

You can find different polls by different polling groups on Catholics views on marriage and/or abortion and they have totally different results

The Qunnipiac poll results in regards to homosexual marriage from the poll released in October that is being discussed in this thread shows different results to a Quinnipiac poll released in March which found 55% of weekly mass going Catholics oppose homosexual marriage to 38%

Regular Massgoers Oppose Same-Sex ‘Marriage,’ Poll Shows

Other polls

2006 Zogby poll

Poll: Catholics Who Regularly Attend Mass Don’t Support Abortion

March 2013 released CBS/New York times poll found 35% of Catholics who attend Church weekly or more think abortion should be limited, 35% think it should not be permitted comapred to 43% of people who go to the Church less than weekly agree that it should be generally available

cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57572665/u.s-catholics-want-a-younger-more-liberal-pope

August 2013 Pew poll

About three-quarters (74%) of white Catholics who attend Mass at least once a week consider having an abortion morally wrong, compared with four-in-ten white Catholics (40%) who attend services less often. However, Hispanic Catholics who attend Mass at least once a week do not differ significantly from those who attend less often in their views about the moral acceptability of abortion.

pewforum.org/2013/08/15/abortion-viewed-in-moral-terms

Just goes to show how off course many people are about what makes one faithful, sitting in the pews doesn’t mean anything when you are supporting heterodox beliefs. These pollsters always try imply that regular mass goers are magically representative of orthodoxy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.