Poll on the Subjects of Homosexual Clergy

I had a brief communication with Trent Horn of Catholic Answers – he sent me a link when I asked for resources on something after I attended a listening session at my parish.

Here’s the link. https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2018/08/why-men-like-me-should-not-be-priests

In the think, there are two sections that I found very interesting regarding the subject of priests with same-sex attraction:

The 2005 Vatican instruction on the question of homosexuality and the priesthood states this clearly: “The Church, while profoundly respecting the persons in question, cannot admit to the seminary or to holy orders those who practise homosexuality, present deep-seated homosexual tendencies or support the so-called ‘gay culture.’”

…recognizing the overwhelming role that homosexuality has played in so many of our past and present scandals is not scapegoating. It’s the Church confronting the truth.

Given the fact that every person was created with unique dignity and deserves Christian love as much as anyone else, I’d like your thoughts;

• I agree – any support for/activity in homosexuality renders someone not qualified to enter into the religious life.
  • Anyone who supports homosexuality ought not be considered qualified, but if he had deep-seated homosexuality, that is OK as long as he is fully chaste.
  • As long as they do not have sex or promote homosexuality as ideal, they can become priests, even if they are openly gay.
  • They can be openly gay and promote it, and it should still render them qualified to become priests.
  • They can be in an openly gay relationship, as long as they wait until marriage before relations and can still become a priest.
  • They can promote homosexuality as OK, but they themselves cannot be gay.

0 voters

Holy Orders is a “rite” not a “right”. No one has a claim to the priesthood on their own behalf; they are called as a vocation, not applying for a job. The Church, in her wisdom, has the prerogative and duty to discern who should be admitted to that Sacrament and on what grounds to dismiss others.

So no, if a person has some sort of ongoing mental/psychological/psychosexual struggle it is better for the safety of the Church to dismiss that person for elect of the office of priesthood.

A man can be a highly qualified astro physicist but if he suffered from severe vertigo, no matter how much he wants, he cannot become an astronaut. I love football, I know much about the sport, but when I run the 100 yard dash, they time me with a sundial. I am too slow, so you won’t find me on the Pittsburgh Steelers.
There are things that disqualify us from certain jobs.

I didn’t know that they were also disqualified from the religious life.

You need another option in your poll.

So long as a priest is not active in or supportive of a homosexual lifestyle, and so long has he remains chaste and bears his cross virtuously and discreetly avoiding scandal, a person with SSA may enter religious life.

That might go under Option 2:
Anyone who supports homosexuality ought not to be considered
qualified, but if he had deep-seated homosexuality, that is OK as long
as he is fully chaste.

There should be an option for, “someone same sex copulated a long time ago, but otherwise, they have lead a normal dating life and experience sexual attraction to women.”

I’d still be tempted to say no to this, but it is another option.

That might not be a good candidate.

I agree, but it is another option not listed in the poll

Ummmmmmm who said it was a mental health problem? You are putting Homosexuality on par with Deppression? Bulemia? Anorexia? Alcoholism?? Emotionally/Behaviorial Disturbed?

I don’t know what you mean by “on par,” but as behavior that is “intrinsically disordered,” we ought to treat individuals who suffer from it.

Mental illnesses have varying degrees of seriousness.

There is no treatment.

That sounds rather hopeless.

Well, it could always be worse I suppose…

Here we go again :roll_eyes:

Jesus can heal anyone, if he wills it.

It is. The only reason it was removed from the DSM is because a bunch of them stormed a 1971 American Psychiatric Association conference and protested until it was removed, also presenting “evidence” gathered by degenerate child abuser Alfred Kinsey. Sounds rather mentally ill to me and sadly such methods are often used by liberals; make a lot of noise and don’t stop until you get what you want, whether right or wrong.

I would say despair is as bad as it gets. Look what Judas Iscariot did because of despair…

Same Sex Attraction shouldn’t necessarily lead to despair.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.