Poll: Our Catholic Identity

I have come to the conclusion that US society is reaching the point that, in general, it will not accept religion as a personal choice. Hollywood movies and TV programs are pushing the notion into our young people’s minds that religion is archaic and out dated while forcing more sexuality into their subconscious. Federal/state legislation is attempting to silence and corral religion under the name of “hate crime”. People wonder what has happened to our catholic identity? They ask, how can we make our universities and schools more “catholic”.

Since Vatican II, many, many religious people (priests, nuns, monks, etc…) have opted not to wear their clerical or religious habits. Althought in recent years, that seems to be changing among younger religious priests and nuns, it is my firm belief that the fruit born from this seemingly harmless choice has been that we have, effectively, lost one of the greatest incentives to holiness. Imagery is compelling to the human mind no matter what the context. When we see a priest wearing his cassock or the nun wearing the habit of her order, regardless of the character of the person underneath, we respect and admire the dedication that person has made to God. It is a visible and sometimes stirring image that compels us to think Godly thoughts. The more we see these images, the more we are reminded of our Creator and our responsibility to Him.

How important do you think it is to our Catholic identity that we have visible, tangible imagery such as religious habits and cassocks to serve to inspire our young people?

I know it’s bad taste to reply to your own posts, but I thought it was important to make this point.

The reason I, personally, feel we need a return of habits and a visible identity is that, as Catholics, we have no control over TV and movies and their overt, almost systematic attempt to make America think that religion is subjective or even irrelevant. We have very few tools at our disposal to counter this ideology. But one of the most effective tools we still have is our freedom of expressions. Our religious people can make that undeniable outward statement that the Catholic Faith is alive and kicking! By donning their habits and cassocks they are saying to the world that they may be in the world, but, by the grace of God, they are not to OF the world. If this happened in every parish across America, imagine the increase in vocations not to mention the fine example for our children to see and look up to!

I fear what may happen if we, as Catholics and people of God, don’t wake up and stand up in the face this terrible modernist and relativist way of thinking and fight for what we know is right.

Our identity is important in that we Catholics must be a visible source of morality and values, that includes our bishops. We cannot exist like Tevia of Fiddler On The Roof, forwever lamenting the loss of tradition. Our young people need to see those who are willing to stand up for our core values.

I agree: it’s important! If I were to join a religious order, I would join one that wears a habit. I was at a Motherhouse a few months back and was surprised that nobody wore habits. I didn’t know who was a sister/mother and who was a lay person. I don’t think not wearing them makes them less capable of their vocation, but IMO it makes it more difficult to spread the message and make an impact.

I am not saying that we must return to suits and hats for the men and dresses and high heels for the women like some episode of Leave It To Beaver. A habit worn by a religious person, especially when they are at leisure, has a much deeper meaning and use than simple lamentation. It is a powerful outward symbol of our faith. The more these symbols are seen in public places, the more our sick society will be reminded that their Father in heaven is calling to them.

I have often felt that our age is facing a line in the sand. We have seen it before, through the ages, in ancient Rome, Russia, Germany, etc… On the one side is the world with it’s abortion mills and homosexual activists and gay marriages and birth control, etcc. On the other side is Holy Mother Church standing beside Jesus as She has done for centuries.

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it” – Flannery O’Connor

Assuming that the Order is in communion with the Catholic Church and is in good standing with Holy Mother Church, it seems to me that a person entering that order would be righteous if they submit to the leadership when it comes to the wearing of habits.

You think it should be up to the Superior of the Order to decide what habit to wear? I believe that is how it is now but I think the vast majority have drastically reduced their habits, even eliminated them in favor of normal street clothes.

Somehow I doubt that would catch on when you have older, free thinking Superiors who will fight the habit to their last tooth. A good idea might be for the Pope to release a Motu Proprio giving permission to any religious to wear any habit of their Order that has ever been known to have been used by that Order. This would give the discerning nun or monk the authorization they need to wear a habit, even if the Superior fights them on it.

I voted “vitally important” :thumbsup:

Our priest was talking about this, one day at daily Mass. And he told us that this isn’t just something that religious (priests, brothers, sisters… etc.) should do. But ALL of us should do.

What he meant, was that all of us should SHOW our Catholic identity. Do we have Catholic medals and jewelry? Wear them! :yup: You can also put Pro-Life bumper stickers on your car! And (if your HOA will allow it) Catholic statues in your gardens! When we eat in public places… don’t be afraid to make the Sign of the Cross and say grace (something I’m personally, working on :rolleyes: ).

Let the world know… we are CATHOLIC!

Great idea for a poll! God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.