Poll: Romney may see an evangelical ‘enthusiasm gap’

Most Americans who know that Mitt Romney is Mormon say the presumptive GOP nominee’s faith doesn’t concern them. But a new poll indicates there may be an “enthusiasm gap” for Romney among white evangelicals, a crucial GOP constituency.

Sixty percent of Americans know that Romney is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, according to a survey released Thursday (July 26) by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center. That number has barely budged since March, despite intense media focus on Romney’s faith.

More....

washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/poll-romney-may-see-an-evangelical-enthusiasm-gap/2012/07/26/gJQAitt5BX_story.html

[quote="JustaServant, post:1, topic:293097"]
More....

washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/poll-romney-may-see-an-evangelical-enthusiasm-gap/2012/07/26/gJQAitt5BX_story.html

[/quote]

While I wouldn't categorize myself as an "evangelical" in the American protestant mode, and I honestly wanted to be able to vote for one of the two Catholics who ran, I think any enthusiasm gap about Mitt is probably more than neutralized by an enthusiasm flood against the other guy.

Jon

A lot of people will vote for Romney just to get Obama out of office. I know I will.

[quote="JonNC, post:2, topic:293097"]
While I wouldn't categorize myself as an "evangelical" in the American protestant mode, and I honestly wanted to be able to vote for one of the two Catholics who ran, I think any enthusiasm gap about Mitt is probably more than neutralized by an enthusiasm flood against the other guy.

Jon

[/quote]

This.

I dream of the day when I will be able to vote for someone who is not the lesser of two evils... :)

Not strictly relevent, but I wanted to get it off my chest. :D

--Jen

[quote="revert_jen, post:5, topic:293097"]
I dream of the day when I will be able to vote for someone who is not the lesser of two evils... :)

Not strictly relevent, but I wanted to get it off my chest. :D

--Jen

[/quote]

Don't hold your breath...it's either the lesser of two evils, or evil of two lessers, lol.

[quote="JonNC, post:2, topic:293097"]

Jon

[/quote]

Yep. Enthusiasm can exist on continuum, but voting is binary.

[quote="cajunhillbilly, post:3, topic:293097"]
A lot of people will vote for Romney just to get Obama out of office. I know I will.

[/quote]

However among Evangelics an interesting thing seems to be happenning. In one case they suspect a man is faking being a Christian for political advantage. In the other case there would be no controversy or lack of enthusiam if the candidate identified himself as Mormon and not as Christian. Sort of like the same sex marriage versus civil union feelings I get.

[quote="4Squarebaby, post:8, topic:293097"]
However among Evangelics an interesting thing seems to be happenning. In one case they suspect a man is faking being a Christian for political advantage. In the other case there would be no controversy or lack of enthusiam if the candidate identified himself as Mormon and not as Christian. Sort of like the same sex marriage versus civil union feelings I get.

[/quote]

Everyone should realize that there is more than one definition of a Christian. The original definition was a follower or disciple of Christ. (Acts 11:26) Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe in Jesus Christ and try to adhere to His teachings. They certainly believe they are Christians.

Most Mormons do not realize that the official definition of "Christian" by the Catholic Church and most protestants is that a Christian is one who adheres to the belief of the Triune God as defined in the Nicene Creed, (Trinitarian). All agree that Mormons do not believe this.

Latter-day Saints are Christians but they are not Trinitarians.

If Romney becomes president, the American people will be funding the Mormon church with $40,000 a year (last I heard the president made $400,000 but it might have changed). He is required by his religion, if he wants the right to enter their holy spaces and thus participate in their rites, to give at least 10% of his income to the church, or else face harassment. That mall in Utah isn't going to build itself, you know.

[quote="Nabooru, post:10, topic:293097"]
If Romney becomes president, the American people will be funding the Mormon church with $40,000 a year (last I heard the president made $400,000 but it might have changed). He is required by his religion, if he wants the right to enter their holy spaces and thus participate in their rites, to give at least 10% of his income to the church, or else face harassment. That mall in Utah isn't going to build itself, you know.

[/quote]

I suppose I'd rather fund the Morman Church than planned parenthood. Maybe Romney wil defund pp if he's elected. :shrug: Let's hope and pray.

Unlikely. Romney has never accepted payment for public service. Both as President and CEO of the SLC olympics and as Governor of MA, Romney never took a salary. I doubt he would break that pattern as POTUS.

Paul (formerly LDS, now happily Catholic)

[quote="Nabooru, post:10, topic:293097"]

[/quote]

If Romney becomes president he will have the right use his money as he wants and believes. He will protect the constitution so that we will all continue to have this right. By the way, I love paying tithing. I recommend everyone pay tithing to the church of their choice.

[quote="mtolympus, post:9, topic:293097"]
Everyone should realize that there is more than one definition of a Christian. The original definition was a follower or disciple of Christ. (Acts 11:26) Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe in Jesus Christ and try to adhere to His teachings. They certainly believe they are Christians.

Most Mormons do not realize that the official definition of "Christian" by the Catholic Church and most protestants is that a Christian is one who adheres to the belief of the Triune God as defined in the Nicene Creed, (Trinitarian). All agree that Mormons do not believe this.

Latter-day Saints are Christians but they are not Trinitarians.

[/quote]

The problem in voting for Romney has several layers of problems, but the ELEPHANT in the room is the Mormon church itself. It is not only that Mormons do not believe in a Triune God, it's that the Jesus of the Mormons was at one point human, brother of Satan and that they lived on another planet together. :eek: That we as humans can become Gods, that we stay married and can have billions of children in heavenly sex. :tsktsk:That whether one will enter heaven is judged not only by Jesus but by Joseph Smith. :hypno: The same "prophet of God", Joseph Smith who had 34 wives including marrying 14 year olds. :coolinoff: His current successor is "Prophet and Seer" Thomas Monson. I could go on and add that the belief in ancient north American civilizations including a hillside in NY state where millions were killed (along with Chariots and swords before the europeans settled in north america ) but the Mormon church can not find any remains is simply make believe and that comes from the Book of Mormon, itself considered the Word of God. :(. I could go on....and on.

It's easy to see why many of Christian faith can not be excited about anyone who believes what is really non sense, especially one who would become President of the United States of America, with the Words "In God We Trust" on our currency. Romey's view of the world is "In Gods We Trust". :mad:

[quote="Porknpie, post:14, topic:293097"]
The problem in voting for Romney has several layers of problems, but the ELEPHANT in the room is the Mormon church itself. It is not only that Mormons do not believe in a Triune God, it's that the Jesus of the Mormons was at one point human, brother of Satan and that they lived on another planet together. :eek: That we as humans can become Gods, that we stay married and can have billions of children in heavenly sex. :tsktsk:That whether one will enter heaven is judged not only by Jesus but by Joseph Smith. :hypno: The same "prophet of God", Joseph Smith who had 34 wives including marrying 14 year olds. :coolinoff: His current successor is "Prophet and Seer" Thomas Monson. I could go on and add that the belief in ancient north American civilizations including a hillside in NY state where millions were killed (along with Chariots and swords before the europeans settled in north america ) but the Mormon church can not find any remains is simply make believe and that comes from the Book of Mormon, itself considered the Word of God. :(. I could go on....and on.

It's easy to see why many of Christian faith can not be excited about anyone who believes what is really non sense, especially one who would become President of the United States of America, with the Words "In God We Trust" on our currency. Romey's view of the world is "In Gods We Trust". :mad:

[/quote]

Actually, Latter-day Saints believe in God the Eternal Father as the "only true God." (John 17:3) And, that Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are divine and are one in perfect unity and authority with the Father. Jesus received His authority from the Father. (John 5:26-27) Jesus is the only begotten son of God the Father. (1 John 4:9) All of us are children of the Father including Jesus and therefore Jesus is our brother. After His resurrection Jesus said to Mary:

"Go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father, and to my God, and your God. (John 20: 16-17)

It is easy to mock someone else's religion, but not always as easy to know the difference between faith and foolishness:

"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1 Cor. 2:14)

[quote="mtolympus, post:15, topic:293097"]
Actually, Latter-day Saints believe in God the Eternal Father as the "only true God." (John 17:3) And, that Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are divine and are one in perfect unity and authority with the Father. Jesus received His authority from the Father. (John 5:26-27) Jesus is the only begotten son of God the Father. (1 John 4:9) All of us are children of the Father including Jesus and therefore Jesus is our brother. After His resurrection Jesus said to Mary:

"Go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father, and to my God, and your God. (John 20: 16-17)

It is easy to mock someone else's religion, but not always as easy to know the difference between faith and foolishness:

"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1 Cor. 2:14)

[/quote]

Jesus is one person of the Trinity. He is God as John 10:30 states "The Father and I are One." This is the belief of Christianity, Catholic and Protestant alike. God the Father of Mormonism had sex with Mary giving birth to Jesus in human form. This is bizarre. Show me this in the bible or anywhere in church history. The Catholic church has apostolic succession to St. Peter. The Mormon church has succession back to Joseph Smith and no where can the Mormon church show where the great apostasy took place in the early church. Take a look at the fruits of each church. The Catholic church is feeding and helping the poor around the world and does great works through its hospitals. The Mormon church builds shopping malls in Salt Lake City.

To discern what is faith and foolishness, I suggest that you do what Joseph Smith did. Put a rock in a bag, then put your head in the bag and "feel" whether this teaching is foolish or not. Meditate on what is truth. Someone coming along 1800+ years after Jesus who proclaims he is a prophet (let alone your current President is a prophet) or a church that has unbroken apostolic succession since St. Peter. At a minimum, to the subject of this post, as you are doing so, try to think why Evangelicals can not get too enthused about Mitt.

I am serious about the above. But if, you chose not to do so, I would encourage you to read and post questions of ex-Mormons on catholic.com. There are old posts that you can read and restart or you can post new ones. They and others can dive into the proof points that you may want and need. YOU are my brother in Jesus Christ, Lord and Savior. I and others on this website pray for you. If you live near SLC, go and visit the Cathedral of the Madeleine. You'll find it down the street from the temple. It's open during the day and you can feel God's presence inside.

[quote="Porknpie, post:16, topic:293097"]
Jesus is one person of the Trinity. He is God as John 10:30 states "The Father and I are One." This is the belief of Christianity, Catholic and Protestant alike. God the Father of Mormonism had sex with Mary giving birth to Jesus in human form. This is bizarre. Show me this in the bible or anywhere in church history. The Catholic church has apostolic succession to St. Peter. The Mormon church has succession back to Joseph Smith and no where can the Mormon church show where the great apostasy took place in the early church. Take a look at the fruits of each church. The Catholic church is feeding and helping the poor around the world and does great works through its hospitals. The Mormon church builds shopping malls in Salt Lake City.

To discern what is faith and foolishness, I suggest that you do what Joseph Smith did. Put a rock in a bag, then put your head in the bag and "feel" whether this teaching is foolish or not. Meditate on what is truth. Someone coming along 1800+ years after Jesus who proclaims he is a prophet (let alone your current President is a prophet) or a church that has unbroken apostolic succession since St. Peter. At a minimum, to the subject of this post, as you are doing so, try to think why Evangelicals can not get too enthused about Mitt.

I am serious about the above. But if, you chose not to do so, I would encourage you to read and post questions of ex-Mormons on catholic.com. There are old posts that you can read and restart or you can post new ones. They and others can dive into the proof points that you may want and need. YOU are my brother in Jesus Christ, Lord and Savior. I and others on this website pray for you. If you live near SLC, go and visit the Cathedral of the Madeleine. You'll find it down the street from the temple. It's open during the day and you can feel God's presence inside.

[/quote]

Jesus Christ is the Son of God. (1 John 4:15). Jesus is fully God because he was given this authority by His Father. (John 5:26-27) Jesus prayed to His Father and called Him "the only true God." (John 17:3) They are one in authority and purpose and therefore there is one God. "I and my Father are one." (John 10:30) John tells us exactly what this means:

"Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one." (John 17:20-22)

I would suggest that you spend less time seeking proof from the ex-Mormons and more time studying the Scriptures. Maybe then there will be more enthusiasm for Mitt Romney. And, if you really believe Latter-day Saints are your brothers in Jesus Christ, please stop calling us fools. (Matt. 5:22)

[quote="mtolympus, post:17, topic:293097"]

I would suggest that you spend less time seeking proof from the ex-Mormons and more time studying the Scriptures. Maybe then there will be more enthusiasm for Mitt Romney.

[/quote]

Wow.

[quote="Porknpie, post:14, topic:293097"]

[/quote]

Hey Pork,
I am old enough to recall, mainly in the years following, the discussion about JFK and that he would "serve the pope" as president since he was Catholic. While not entirely the same, I would hope most folks are able enough to separate the faith issue from the politics. And I wonder if you think the same issues might have raised up again with Santorum or Gingrich.

Jon

[quote="RebeccaJ, post:18, topic:293097"]
Wow.

[/quote]

...and not particularly called for.

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.