Poll: Troops doubt the next president can fix the military's top issues

“Many servicemembers have serious doubts that the next commander in chief will be able to handle the biggest military and veterans issues facing the country, even if their pick for president wins.
. . . “I think the candidates are probably the worst ever,” said one Air Force technical sergeant responding to the poll. “This is not an Abraham Lincoln, Ronald Reagan, George Washington, John Adams kind of election. Yet the country is in need of leadership like these men.””

Full article here.

I don’t think Clinton particularly wants to fix the problems and I doubt the entrenched civilian bureaucracy will allow Trump to.

Surely America cannot sustain its ludicrously high military spending, considering the debt America is in. They could spend this money on healthcare, education, looking after war vets, especially the tens of thousands who are homeless. They could even reduce their deficit.

The $682 billion spent by the U.S. in 2012, according to the Office of Management and Budget, was more than the combined military spending of China, Russia, the United Kingdom, Japan, France, Saudi Arabia, India, Germany, Italy and Brazil — which spent $652 billion, according to the SIPRI Military Expenditure Database.

nbcnews.com/storyline/military-spending-cuts/u-s-military-spending-dwarfs-rest-world-n37461

You could zero out defense spending and still be running a several hundred billion dollar annual deficit. It’s not defense spending, a traditional role of the national government that’s causing national debt, it’s all the spending on social programs like Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security that are running up the debt.

Our country needs answers to many problems it is facing. If Trump wins he will at least begin fixing the problems. If Hillary wins it will be anyone’s guess as to which problems she chooses to address.

We Americans need to take responsibility for solving our own problems, and it requires more than just aligning with our favorite political party and turning out for the election every two or four years. It’s going to require a change of heart and a change in our everyday lives.

It doesn’t look like it’s going to happen anytime soon, but I’m hopeful. It’s like in the Old Testament, where again and again the Hebrews fell into wickedness, and only after hard times came to repent and renew their covenant with God. What form will our Babylonian Exile take?

Salutations,
When I say this it is w a heavy heart. This is a war that will never end. ARAB PROPHECY= “When all Arab states are in a state of uproar, the 12th Prophet will appear and establish a Caliphate around the world!”
This is bigger than Palestine and Israel. This is bigger than Hamass, Hezballah, This is bigger than Bocca Raton and AlQueda. How could the Arabs not rise up against the Taliban? They beat a female if she laughed, her ankle showed. They executed them in the soccer fields. Getting shot is better than stoning. Google stoning of women and men. No
Schools for children. AlQueda had taken over Afghanistan. The Afghanistan police and military were slaughtered w car bombs. We spent 8 Yrs there training them and first fight, they turn and run from it giving our equipment to ISIS. That battle was in Iraq I think.
Why would you give gold ingots on palates and money in bill form in crates to Iran.
They were parading in the streets,“DEATH TO AMERICA AND ISRAEL” the next day. Three
Hostages released for$400,000.00. Two days later they have 3 more American hostages.
The democrates and Congress agreed to cuts in many places. How can you cut money to military in War.?? Trump is right if we spend billions of dollars saving your country—you pay us back w oil revenues. Trump supports military. Will listen to Generals. Now if the Rep. are voted out of Congress, the Dems will be the party of No. As you suggested, a Rep. Congress may want to aggravate Trump but any childishness will be checked by our citizens. Playing games will cost lives and money.
God uses people w flaws. Trump came out of his tower to be among the people and w his financial saavy, get jobs, reduce debt. They should sell war bonds.
Before they mess w Social Security, they better cut their salaries. OBAMA requested a $183,000.00 pay raise for all retired Presidents. He knows what financial crisis we’re in. How dare he!!
Please God, have mercy on us sinners. Strengthen us by your grace. You know the people involved. I see your child, Donald growing closer to you. "IF MY PROPLE WHO ARE CALLED BY MY NAME SHALL HUMBLE THEMSELVES AND SEEK MY FACE, I WILL HEAR THEIR PRAYERS AND HEAL THEIR LAND.
in Christ’s love,
Tweedlealice

That’s Boko Haram, not Boca Raton.

oops! good catch! :clapping:

Medicare and Social Security have their own dedicated tax streams, so both are solvent.

There used to be a provision in the law to allow competitive systems to Social Security. Before the “window” closed, a competing system was established in a part of Texas … Galveston. The Galveston County system pays out about three times more than the Federal Social Security system.

Not a very helpful article.

Few if any issues were actually identified.

I agree with a previous poster that the big problem is the bureaucracy.

We have about the same size bureaucracy as we did during World War Two, when there were ten times as many troops.

And the bureaucracy doesn’t actually DESIGN anything.

In fact, the U.S. Air Force just contracted for a new aerial tanker. It was basically a Boeing 767. But the bureaucrats forced Boeing to redesign the 767. Took years.

Boeing had PREVIOUSLY provided 767 tanker planes to Italy and to Japan.

Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security tend to help people in need. Wars tend to kill people in need…

“Since the end of World War II, there have been 248 armed conflicts in 153 locations around the world. The United States launched 201 overseas military operations between the end of World War II and 2001, and since then, others, including Afghanistan and Iraq ….This study reveals that U.S. military forces were directly responsible for about 10 to 15 million deaths during the Korean and Vietnam Wars and the two Iraq Wars. The Korean War also includes Chinese deaths while the Vietnam War also includes fatalities in Cambodia and Laos.
The American public probably is not aware of these numbers and knows even less about the proxy wars for which the United States is also responsible. In the latter wars there were between nine and 14 million deaths in Afghanistan, Angola, Democratic Republic of the Congo, East Timor, Guatemala, Indonesia, Pakistan and Sudan.”
•Around 90% of all deaths in war are civilians:

“The proportion of civilian deaths and the methods for classifying deaths as civilian are debated, but civilian war deaths constitute 85% to 90% of casualties caused by war, with about 10 civilians dying for every combatant killed in battle.”

quora.com/Did-the-US-really-kill-20M-civilians-since-WW2-through-direct-military-actions-and-US-sponsored-proxy-wars-as-some-studies-claim-Why-doesnt-the-US-media-ever-talk-about-the-2M-civilian-deaths-even-in-recent-wars-like-in-Iraq-and-Afghanistan

Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security are unsustainable Ponzi schemes that are designed to buy votes for politicians now by impoverishing our children and grandchildren. There’s nothing particularly noble about being generous with someone else’s money.

Medicare and Social Security, combined, have tens of trillions of dollars in unfunded obligations. They are not solvent. If a private company funded their retirement and health insurance plans the way we fund Social Security and Medicare, we’d put the CEO in jail.

While I am all about support for our troops, I don’t think we need to be the worlds’ police force.

While this should probably be another thread altogether, you can see the will of the current administration due to increasing spending to unsustainable levels AND promoting policies such as mandatory birth control coverage and funding abortions which reduce the pool of earners, that they are setting us up for financial collapse.

As I said, should probably be a different thread.

PAX.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.