Poll: Was Jesus' skin color one of the following?

I like to take a vote on what Jesus skin color was. I believe he had olive skin and a middle eastern Semitic appearance rather than Caucasian or African.

Here is a pool.

While we have no record of His skin color, He probably looked like a Semite (with olive to dark skin) like the others. After all, a Caucasian child would be hard to hide in Egypt. :smiley:

The skin color of jesus doesnt matter, and if it does matter to someone, i dont know how that person a can be Christian.
The fact is that Jesus was jewish and lived in the middle east, so it stands to reason that he had a semitic/olive skin tone.

I voted olive/semitic. Seems more likely than not to me. But I don’t think anybody can be really sure about that. Seems unlikely He would have been Sub-saharan African or Oriental. Sure could have been Indo-European or Turkic in appearance though. Lots of those in the Middle East today, and could have been in the time of Christ, too. All sorts of Indo-European and Turkic people were all over the place at the time, and had been for eons. It might be correct to assume that Jews of the time were a stereotypical group and looked like what we “think” Jews look like today. (which many don’t) But it might not have been so at all. Lots of Israelis today appear Indo-European, including some who claim to have never left Palestine in the Diaspora. James Michener certainly peoples “The Source” with lots of blue-eyed Hebrews, and, while he never explains that, perhaps he had good reason to do it.

It isn’t important, of course, and I think it’s fine if people picture Jesus in ways that are familiar to them if it helps them feel closer to Him.

Since he lived in Israel, it was most likely he had a middle-eastern color to his skin.

Ooo! A pool! Don’t close it before summer’s over! :wink: :wink: :wink:

~Liza

I would vote Sumitic but because I can’t swim I can’t jump into this pool. :thumbsup:

Besides what does it matter what colour His skin is. What does it matter what colour anyones skin is. It is what is inside the skin that matters.

I don’t get the speaking in PAST tense?:confused:
Do you think Christ skin color is different now? or is it as John saw it in the Revelation of Jesus Christ Chapter 1?

Likely He still looks the same!

And probably still does!

If he allows his skin to change color he can. giggles

Realistically, I made some typos when I wrote this. I just didn’t see it in time to edit it. My apology. :o

If I may be permitted to speculate. Yes it would be as well as his general appearance, no one recognized him right off after his resurrection.

Red Skin? care to enlighten me on that? Never heard of it

No biggie Manny, all the past tense speaking had a fundy like me scratching his head:confused: . Know what I mean? I was seeing a room full of Thomas’

Red Skin? care to enlighten me on that? Never heard of it

Native Americans are genetically closest kin to Asians. Although stereotype is that the first group is “red” and the second group is “yellow”, many regard both to be one racial group. And He almost certainly had some Asian ancestry.

Was Jesus’ skin color one of the following?

Sure it was. but now I reckon it’s super duper brilliant white. not the pasty pinkish white of the Caucasian, but the brilliant white of a glorified resurrected body. We get a glimpse of that in the transfiguration.

The Gospel of Saint MATTHEW 17: [sup]1[/sup] And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain apart. [sup]2[/sup] And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his garments became white as light.

The Apocalypse of Saint JOHN 1:[sup]12[/sup] Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, [sup]13[/sup] and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden girdle round his breast; [sup]14[/sup] his head and his hair were white as white wool, white as snow; his eyes were like a flame of fire, [sup]15[/sup] his feet were like burnished bronze, refined as in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of many waters; [sup]16[/sup] in his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth issued a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength. [sup]17[/sup] When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand upon me, saying, "Fear not, I am the first and the last, [sup]18[/sup] and the living one; I died, and behold I am alive for evermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.

He was Jewish—so—He probably looks like a Jew:shrug:

What is their skin color?:shrug:

What is their skin color?:shrug:

Quite a wide range, hunh??? :slight_smile: It doesn’t really matter, either.

So…Where in the Bible is Jesus’ East Asian ancestry highlighted? You’ll have to forgive my lack of understanding. Here in England we use Asian to describe South Asians and Oriental to describe East Asian (outdated term I know). I know you guys use the words differently over there so I’m a bit confused by all of this :o

Forgive me, but when it comes to votes about Jesus, I am reminded of the story of the parish priest who noted to a colleague, “If the last supper had been a council meeting, and the crucifixion had been put to a vote, it would have been defeated 12 to 1.”

Surely the “Jesus Seminar” folks have shown how much this kind of voting is worth?

Blessings,

Gerry

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.