Pontifex Maximus

Can anyone tell me where this title came from? I believe it means Supreme Pontiff. I am in a discussion with someone who claims that an early Pope took it from a pagan Ceasar.

Can you point me in a direction for further research?

Thanks. Rhonda in GA

Pontiff.** The terms Pontifex Maximus, Summus Pontifex, were doubtless originally employed with reference to the Jewish high-priest, whose place the Christian bishops were regarded as holding each in his own diocese (I Clement 40). As regards the title Pontifex Maximus, especially in its application to the pope, there was further a reminiscence of the dignity attached to that title in pagan Rome. Tertullian, as has already been said, uses the phrase of Pope Callistus. Though his words are ironical, they probably indicate that Catholics already applied it to the pope. But here too the terms were once less narrowly restricted in their use. Pontifex summus was used of the bishop of some notable see in relation to those of less importance. Hilary of Arles (d. 449) is so styled by Eucherius of Lyons (P. L., L, 773), and Lanfranc is termed “primas et pontifex summus” by his biographer, Milo Crispin (P. L., CL, 10). Pope Nicholas I is termed “summus pontifex et universalis papa” by his legate Arsenius (Hardouin, “Conc.”, V, 280), and subsequent examples are common. After the eleventh century it appears to be only used of the popes.

You may, however, want to read THIS before replying.

God bless,
RyanL

[quote=Rhonda in GA]Can anyone tell me where this title came from? I believe it means Supreme Pontiff. I am in a discussion with someone who claims that an early Pope took it from a pagan Ceasar.
[/quote]

It means “Greatest Bridge Builder” and was a religious title of the republican Rome. Not a but the Caesar, Gaius Julius Caesar, became pontifex maximus in 63BC.
“Took it” is perhaps the wrong phrase, it is more that this office, being the highest moral institution in Rome, was transferred to the Church, when Christianity became state religion in the 4th century.

[quote=Rhonda in GA]Can anyone tell me where this title came from? I believe it means Supreme Pontiff. I am in a discussion with someone who claims that an early Pope took it from a pagan Ceasar.

Can you point me in a direction for further research?

Thanks. Rhonda in GA
[/quote]

penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/secondary/SMIGRA*/Pontifex.html

• old, but still full of good things :slight_smile:

Your informant is correct :slight_smile: ##

Title “Pontifex Maximus” or "Supreme Pontiff"
by Mark Bonocore

bringyou.to/apologetics/a104.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.