Poor binding on printed Bibles

Has anyone else had problems with new Bibles that you buy and they have poor binding?

Not too long ago I bought a KJV Bible printed by Thomas Nelson, Inc. I really have not used it all, but when I opened it today I noticed that pages are already coming off of the binding. I know it’s not difficult to notice the extremely cheap Bibles available now that are printed in China (or elsewhere) that have poor binding. Even with minimal use pages are starting to become unattached from the binding.

Are there any publishers out there that use much better (and stronger) binding? This wasn’t exactly a cheap Bible ($35) and I can’t return it to the bookstore at this point.

I wish they were made with this much care :smiley:

Too bad it’s the wrong version (not to mention so expensive). But I love the illuminated text and pictures.
ebay.com/itm/1975-Pristine-MINT-UNMARKED-Franklin-Sterling-Silver-family-Bible-illustrations-/171589540580?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f3889ae4

My $90 Missal from Midwest Theological Forum is falling apart after three years of use.

I think the only solution out there is to send your favorite books to ***Leonard’s***.

-Tim-

I have heard that books with buckram bindings are the very best quality. I have a set of Navarre Bibles that use this binding and it has never failed in any way.

I was looking more into this question…

***Smythe/Smyth/Smith Sewn:

A Smythe sewn (Smyth in USA: pronounced as Smith) binding is considered the highest quality binding, the pages are grouped together in small folded booklets sewn, and glued to the spine of the Bible. The benefits are a long lasting Bible that can be read, and reread for years without falling apart. Books with a Smyth sewn binding will stand up to more abuse than a regular glued binding, will lay open and can be read on a flat surface. Smyth sewn Bibles are durable, but they may be heavier and less flexible than glued Bibles. That said if you want the best, then you want a Smyth sewn binding.
All R. L. Allan, and Cambridge Bibles are Smyth Sewn. All Allan Oxford KJV Bibles (i.e.) the Longprimer, Brevier, and Ruby editions have overcast stitching. All the other Bible versions/translations sold under the Allan name, also have overcast stitching. The Cambridge Bibles they offer are no different than any other Cambridge Bible, and no longer have overcast stitching.***

gospelbiblepaths.50webs.com/index_8.html

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0n0wPeeK7mrAklhmu2KOvOjU559yOyqzhknXQkWesRm0cOFhbMA

The quality of binding varies a lot these days. Some companies are consistent in their quality, while others are inconsistent.

In Catholic Bibles, I have found Baronius Press to be of high quality.

Crossway, publishers of the English Standard Version, seems to use Smyth-Sewn bindings consistently. But all they publish, to the best of my knowledge, is the ESV.

In the Bible listings of one of the major online retailers, one question which is frequently asked is about the binding being glued or sown. It amazes me that some Bibles costing over $50 - the DISCOUNT price - and having leather covers, are glued!

If you are looking for a KJV, the Thompson Chain Reference Bible still comes with sewn binding, at least in their leather-covered editions. The list prices are pretty high, but some online vendors offer substantial discounts. However, none are available with the Deuterocanonicals.

Does anyone know if there is an NKJV that exists that includes the Deuterocanonical books? The closest thing I can think of is the Orthodox Study Bible, but I believe only the New Testament is the NKJV translation.

My parish uses the NKJV for the liturgical readings but Eastern Catholic Churches seem to be all over the place when it comes to using English translations.

Despite being a Protestant translation I have grown fond of using the ESV for the Byzantine daily readings. And from what I understand, there is an ESV printed by Oxford that contains the Deuterocanonical books.

That is really terrific.

I buy the cheapest paperback Bible possible, and cover it with clear contact paper. They last for years with steady use, marking up, etc.

I have a copy of the New American Bible Revised Edition it never wears down it is good as new. Mind you it is an “e” version on Kindle :thumbsup:

No worries with an electronic version.

I was thinking of getting the Cambridge cameo KJV with “Apocrypha” with sewn binding but I don’t feel like paying over $100 on a new Bible at the moment. I do have an Oxford KJV which contains the Deuterocanonical books but it’s a cheap paperback version with no cross referencing.

For now I just decided to buy this one cheaper KJV: amazon.com/Large-Print-Thinline-Reference-Bible-KJV/dp/1598568612/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The reviews say that it’s apparently genuine leather and sewn binding but it doesn’t contain the Deuterocanonical books. I suppose I could use my cheap Oxford paperback for the Deuterocanonical books.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.