Pop Culture Slams on Christianity?

youtube.com/watch?v=6p5jnqEyUs4&feature=related

What do you make of this one? How are we to react? Should we be offended or worried that there growing sentiments against Christianity?

I feel the sting from this. It is a message masked in humour but it does portray an attitude that is so prevalent today. Just standing up for the pro-life cause (even in a completely non-religious manner and setting) will have you accused of wanting a theocracy and taking us back to the 1400s.

Directly:

This is funny - though to be honest there’s more evidence for Christianity having preserved science than flustered it. Without the monastery libraries (and tedious copying of ancient texts by monks’ hands), who would have preserved books from the barbarians rampaging across Europe after the fall of Imperial Rome? Without universities, who would have taught classics and science? It’s no accident that theologians were the scientists prior to the rise of a mercantilist middle class. After this rise, merchants could afford to send their children to be educated, a privilige that was previously given only to the nobility and the clergy (and even then, not all of them) only because they were the ones who had use for it.

And honestly, if Galileo had been free to disperse heliocentric thought, what innovations would it have caused and what advantage would society have been able to take of it?

I also think it’s funny in the video that everyone is flying all over the place, rather than going somewhere purposefully. Maybe this suggests that a life grounded in faith is a life with direction and purpose?

There have always been sentiments against Christianity. The modern sentiments are of two types but they overlap often. One fears cultural domination by an unelected authority, the other fears loss of licentiousness. The first likes to point out the Inquisition, the Crusades, etc, and claim we’re a bunch of mindless followers bent on world domination. The second doesn’t want to be told what to do (or more often, not do).

Is there something else that made you want to post the video? “Family Guy” is irreverent always, and likes to make trouble. Was there something more specific, or more troubling that you had in mind?

Try being a part of this brainwashed generation... sigh Maybe older people are relatively safer from this vitriol like the atheist hatemongering you see on YT, blogs, etc. but I have to deal with them being my peers :( It's so hard not to hate the sinner in these cases, because this attitude is catching on like an epidemic. People ACTUALLY AND SERIOUSLY believe that what that clip from Family Guy is saying is true. They spew on and on about logic and reason while wholesale accepting second-hand myths about history and Christian religious practice. They look so stupid, and since their stupidity makes them so happy (and violently emotionally opposed to us) you can't reason them down. You know, Galileo, Crusades (saw one kid say they worse soooo bad that they were worse than the holocaust (!)) all Christians are evangelicals, blah blah blah attitude.

Stereotypes are easy to create in the mass media. On one TV program, a main character states that the Church is against gays, women and science. For some people who do not know the Church's true position on any of these subjects, the listener might be inclined to accept this as the truth. Too often, the media repeats this message over and over. All we need to do is tell the truth.

Peace,
Ed

My two cents:

1) Seth McFarlane is a well-known Secular Atheist and Non-Believer, so this is not surprising.

2) Family Guy should not be banned, of course------but one of the things that could be done would be to push for a conservative, religious-leaning satirical cartoon to counter the plethora of left-leaning secular cartoons available today, for "fairness's sake."
WILL not happen, of course.

3) This goes to show how set the stone the stereotype of "the Middle Ages were bad and totally evil." This was started, of course, by the folks of the Renaissance, who considered themselves more "enlightened" and "civilized" than the "backward" savages of the Middle Ages. Basically, Man was the center of the Universe in the Renaissance, as opposed to the Middle Ages, where God was the Center. This idea has continued all the way to the present day.

End of points.

[quote="edwest2, post:5, topic:257374"]
Stereotypes are easy to create in the mass media. On one TV program, a main character states that the Church is against gays, women and science. For some people who do not know the Church's true position on any of these subjects, the listener might be inclined to accept this as the truth. Too often, the media repeats this message over and over. All we need to do is tell the truth.

Peace,
Ed

[/quote]

Indeed.

Why do people have such an antagonistic and angry attitude towards Christianity? Internet atheists seem to do nothing but personally attack believers, cite Bible verses out of context, and dismiss everything as fairy tales. I've seen one particular atheist on a forum I go to whose views on religion were so spiteful you could just see the disgust and contempt oozing off the screen.

[quote="ivory, post:8, topic:257374"]
Why do people have such an antagonistic and angry attitude towards Christianity? Internet atheists seem to do nothing but personally attack believers, cite Bible verses out of context, and dismiss everything as fairy tales. I've seen one particular atheist on a forum I go to whose views on religion were so spiteful you could just see the disgust and contempt oozing off the screen.

[/quote]

It's like, atheists and agnostics are pro-coexisting and pro-tolerance but only when it's tolerance towards groups that they approve of.

I don't see atheists and nonbelievers throw even half as much negativity to Islam, or any other religion besides Christianity for that matter. :shrug:

I guess it's because "history" always portrays Muslims as the "cultured" and "intelligent" ones as opposed to the barbaric, hateful, backwards, and evil Christians.

Unfortunately, it’s everywhere.

Just out of curiousity, when you read those kinds of posts, do you respond?

Anytime Evangelize

We cannot keep to ourselves the words of eternal life given to us in our encounter with Jesus Christ: they are meant for everyone, for every man and woman. … It is our responsibility to pass on what, by God’s grace, we ourselves have received."

• Pope Benedict XVI

[quote="MattAE, post:11, topic:257374"]
Just out of curiousity, when you read those kinds of posts, do you respond?

[/quote]

I tend not to, because I lack the knowledge to even attempt to adequately defend my faith. There are people who are much better suited to it than I am. In any case, my own faith has been very shaky as of late, so I'm trying to "fix" myself (so to speak). Arguing with an adamant atheist would only serve to harm my currently fragile faith.

This is certainly a good place to start, no doubt. :slight_smile:

Know that I’ll pray for you. PM me sometime if I can help you in some other way.

Anytime Evangelize

We cannot keep to ourselves the words of eternal life given to us in our encounter with Jesus Christ: they are meant for everyone, for every man and woman. … It is our responsibility to pass on what, by God’s grace, we ourselves have received."

• Pope Benedict XVI

The Middle Ages certainly didn't preserve science...so much as invent it. Go read "Medieval Creativity in Science and Technology" by Stanley Jaki—besides their extreme brilliance in science, they excelled in technology like no civilization until the 19th century. Why? Well, because everyone else (even contemporary Byzantium and the Islamic world, as well as the Renaissance West with its colonialism) had slaves, they didn't need labor-saving devices.

Medieval surgeons, incidentally, got "union by first intention" (no scarring) fairly routinely, understood the basics of sanitation, and often used laudanum for anaesthesia (that last they probably learned from the Kurds). Why did medicine fall so far by the days of the Civil War? Well, here's a hint, ancient Rome didn't understand about infection.

Also, medieval women owned property, practiced trades, filed lawsuits, and could even vote in any assembly where men could. They were taught to read just as often as men, and they bought more books. Ancient Roman women? Yeah, they didn't have first names—notice how Gaius Julius Caesar's daughter was just called Julia, the feminine of her clan name? Yeah, every daughter after the first was left out for the wolves, in ancient Rome. Medievals were considered adults at 12 for girls and 14 for boys, with all the rights of adults (interestingly, that averages out to the age of a Bar Mitzvah). The Renaissance brought back the Roman Patria Potestas, at least for girls—women as the non-adult wards of their husbands or fathers for their whole lives. Sure, their fathers couldn't simply kill them anymore, since that went counter to Christian ethics, but other than that they went right back to square one.

Regine Pernoud recounts a record she found of Venice's city council ignoring the design of a master shipbuilder, in favor of an archaeologist's reconstruction of a Roman quadrireme. That, I think, is all you need to know about the Renaissance right there.

Among many, the most common thing I hear from atheists/agnostics about why they dislike Christians is because of the evangelizing/converting aspect of our faith. Religions that are in many ways just as conservative as ours, such as Judaism and Islamism, aren’t very active in trying to convert others. They don’t have the good news gospel as we do.

I’m sorry, did you just say Islam isn’t very active in trying to convert others?

Oookay.

Maybe I’m wrong in a general sense, but nobody has ever tried to convert me to Islam nor have I ever heard anyone else. The only religion anyone has ever tried to convert me to is a different form of Christianity.

[quote="MillTownCath, post:17, topic:257374"]
Maybe I'm wrong in a general sense, but nobody has ever tried to convert me to Islam nor have I ever heard anyone else. The only religion anyone has ever tried to convert me to is a different form of Christianity.

[/quote]

Generalization from the self is a classic fallacy.

[quote="Hastrman, post:18, topic:257374"]
Generalization from the self is a classic fallacy.

[/quote]

Has any muslim ever tried converting you?

[quote="MillTownCath, post:19, topic:257374"]
Has any muslim ever tried converting you?

[/quote]

No, but if that was my sole basis for talking about their conversion related practices—"the Quran or the sword"—I'd be the one guilty of that fallacy. But you're the one claiming, laughably, that because no Muslim ever tried to convert you, Muslims don't seek conversions.

Thank you, I'm capable of judging things on a basis other than my own limited experiences. How silly of me, thinking actually being informed about the world and its trends might help me in forming judgments about it. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.