Pope as anti Christ

My resaction to the OP was the same.

But, as I often say, Anglicans are motley.

I’ve never met one this motley, but who knows?

Not so… Matthew 24 says…
***"23 If anyone says to you then, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24 False messiahs and false prophets will arise, and they will perform signs and wonders so great as to deceive, if that were possible, even the elect. 25 Behold, I have told it to you beforehand. 26 So if they say to you, ‘He is in the desert,’ do not go out there; if they say, ‘He is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27 For just as lightning comes from the east and is seen as far as the west, so will the coming of the Son of Man be. "

Mark 13: 21 **If anyone says to you then, ‘Look, here is the Messiah! Look, there he is!’ do not believe it. 22 False messiahs and false prophets will arise and will perform signs and wonders in order to mislead, if that were possible, the elect. 23 Be watchful! I have told it all to you beforehand. ***

I imagine it will be easier to identify him in hindsight. That seems to be how prophecies usually work: once everything has been fulfilled, you can look back and say, “oooh…”. In my imagination, I think some people will recognize the Antichrist as such, but most people will think they are overreacting.

I was Anglican and you are spot on about it’s diversity, but it’s still a little odd to find a Anglican carrying on with that type of non sense. This was always shunned by our Anglican Clergy anytime someone started bad mouthing Rome. Reason being is obvious, so many former Catholics in our parish did not appreciate this kind of uncharitable talk. If he was serious then it sounds like he needs his clergy needs to have a little pow-wow with him.

Best wishes.

Yes, you are right, that is how the second coming of Christ will be, there will be NO mistake when that happens, but I was talking about the AC coming onto the world stage, that will not be as easy to see, people will argue about it, some will say it is ‘Joe Smith’ others will not agree, both sides will have good evidence to back up their claims too.

Motley are the Anglicans; never try and predict what they may do. But the only such I would expect to talk like the OP reported would be some of them who personally remember the Gunpowder Plot.

If the Pope is anti-Christ, then his Church which came from the Anti-Christ’s Church is also of Anti-christ as well.

Oops.

Glass houses and rocks don’t mix.

Just remember a couple of verses: 1 John 4, 2 John 1:7.
There you find the only spiritual leanings of the anti-Christ that are missing from the Profits of Doom books, and the only descriptions from Scripture.

St. John tells us that the spirit of the Antichrist denies the Incarnation (the Son of God becoming man) and thereby also the Trinity (the Father and the Spirit, too).
THIS IS THE SPIRIT OF ANTI-CHRIST

Expanding a little further:

There is not a single text in 2000 years, including the new Catechism of the Catholic Church, where the Catholic Church, her popes, her bishops, her official teachings, her saints, or her acknowledged ecclesiastical authors, deny the Word-made-flesh or the Blessed Trinity. Instead, all of Christianity owes the preservation of these Truths to the Catholic Church, whose great Councils formulated them and whose saints and popes have defended them to this day, often at the cost of martyrdom.
catholic.com/tracts/the-whore-of-babylon

500 years of hate propaganda isn’t going to go away overnight.

Its not going to be that black and white, its going to be almost impossible to recognize the AC for who he truly is, plus there are verses that say he will come from within the church itself. It also says this will fool the elect, so if the deception is that good, I have a feeling most of the laypeople will be duped right off the bat…(something to think about anyway).

In the 16th century, Martin Luther put forth that the pope is the anti-Christ. This was viewed as dogmatic by Lutherans.

He also thought he was living in end times.

Since Luther is the father of the reformation, or one of them, I would not be surprised when this thought process ends up in any denomination.

Some Anglicans claim to be like Catholics, too. So, I do not think you’ll find much consistency.

My friend, when I told my mother that “When I say I am going to Church on Sunday, I mean the Catholic Church” she said “Really”, stood up walked away and said “The Catholic Church is the biggest anti-Christ ever”. I was in RCIA at the time.

So when you find the answer to your question, please share it with me because I have tried everything, and I am exhausted, and I have given up on reconciliation.

You’re sure he wasn’t joking? That’s not a common view among Anglicans in my opinion. Where are you? In the U.S. “Anglican” is sometimes used instead of “Episcopalian” to refer to conservative, mostly evangelical groups that have split away from the Episcopal Church (which is the main representative of Anglicanism in the U.S.), particularly the “Anglican Church in North America.” I suppose it isn’t that surprising that some ACNA folks might consider the Pope Antichrist, but I’m still disappointed. If you’re in England or Australia it makes more sense–there are some ferociously low-church Anglicans there.

Edwin

I think the Sydney Diocese is low church, but I live just further north in the Newcastle area.
I don’t hear much of this type of rhetoric down here.
But on the OP, it is not a common view from Anglicans, who are usually liturgical and quite AngloCatholic in nature.
It tends to be more of an Evangelical viewpoint, who are anti-religion or structured religion and churches as such. You only need to see the amount of youtube videos they make on these type of subjects, and the comments below.

I’m in the UK, and my church is very much low church. I am now pretty sure he was jesting with me as, although he’s made it clear he doesn’t approve of my conversion, he is still friendly. Called me his little Catholic weirdo today. The English sense of humour is a bit odd, I grant you. I’m anticipating more serious opposition of this kind from my reformed Baptist friends, but I don’t see them as much anymore.

Wow, I’m Anglican, and I’m so sorry you heard that from your friend.

I wonder if your friend was a convert to Anglicanism from a Baptist or some other more “fundy” group? I haven’t been Anglican for terribly long, but I’ve noticed converts from other groups seem most likely to hold onto some wacky beliefs from their former denominations. They typically convert because they fall in love with our weekly Eucharist, but they are really Puritans at heart. Some of them are still Baptists who just like candles and having their pastor play dress up. Sadly, at least where I live, our Anglican churches don’t have as good of a catechism as RCIA to dismantle some of the old beliefs that some converts bring with them.

I honestly don’t blame you for wanting to swim the Tiber. The “diversity” within Anglicanism can be frustrating.

The history is solid that there has been a bishop of Rome since the time of Peter.
Ask her exactly when the bishop of Rome transitioned to the “anti-Christ” and why.

Universal authority? Again, evidence that his was since the beginning: Peter was the head guy. Clement settled a dispute in another church in the FIRST CENTURY. etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.