Pope as "chief minister"

I seem to recall seeing some references to an old testament passage about a chief minister being given the “keys to the kingdom” and how this related to binding and loosing and also to petrine authority. I cannot remember the passage in question for the life of me!

what is the passage in question, and are there links on the catholic answers site or elsewhere that draw the link between that passing of authority to the chief minister and the Papacy?

[quote=Dunmoose]I seem to recall seeing some references to an old testament passage about a chief minister being given the “keys to the kingdom” and how this related to binding and loosing and also to petrine authority. I cannot remember the passage in question for the life of me!

what is the passage in question, and are there links on the catholic answers site or elsewhere that draw the link between that passing of authority to the chief minister and the Papacy?
[/quote]

If I am not mistaken, you are referring to Isaiah 22:22

ok; that finds what i need. thank you!

[quote=Dunmoose]I seem to recall seeing some references to an old testament passage about a chief minister being given the “keys to the kingdom” and how this related to binding and loosing and also to petrine authority. I cannot remember the passage in question for the life of me!

[/quote]

It depends on what bible translation you are using.

The Revised Standard Version of the Bible uses “Steward” for Isaiah 22. So does the Darby version, New International Version, New American Standard Bible, Message Bible, English Standard Version, New King James Version, Young’s Literal Translation, and the New International Version – UK.

The Contemporary English Version uses “Prime Minister”.

The Amplified Bible, American Standard Version, and King James Version uses the term “treasurer”, which is inaccurate, because treasurers are not given the authority of the house of David, nor the authority to open and shut. The translation of treasurer is proven to be incorrect by reading Isaiah 22:21-23: And I will clothe him (the treasurer*) with thy robe, and strengthen him with thy girdle, *and I will commit thy government into his (the treasurer) hand: and he (the treasurer) shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah. And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open. And I will fasten him as a nail in a sure place; and he shall be for a glorious throne to his father’s house. The office given to Eliakim is more correctly translated as a Steward/Chief Minister/ Prime Minister/etc, not treasurer.

The robe (office) - the sash/girdle (position/power), the father of Jerusalem and Juhah (authority), the keys are clearly a symbol of authority.

Steward/Prime Minister/Premier/Chief Minister/Chancellor/etc are all offices that were the King’s right hand man.

Many of the bible versions, above, are protestant texts. Considering those are the texts they use, we must have knowledge about what is contained in them.

[size=2]
Now for the pope, the office given to Peter was the Steward/Chief Minister of the Kingdom, and the Kingdom is not a territorial one, but a spiritual Kingdom - the Church. Due to it being spiritual, the word Vicar is used often, because it has religious conations.[/size]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.