Pope Awards Highest Honor to EWTN Founder Mother Angelica and Chairman

lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/oct/09100501.html

Pope Awards Highest Honor to EWTN Founder Mother Angelica and Chairman
EWTN has consistently given high priority to uncompromising support for Catholic moral principles and the pro-life movement.

IRONDALE, AL, October 5, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Pope Benedict XVI has awarded EWTN foundress, Mother Mary Angelica, and Deacon Bill Steltemeier, Chairman of EWTN’s Board of Governors, the Cross of Honor for distinguished service to the Church. The medal, officially known as “Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice” (literally “For the Church and the Pope”), is the highest honor that the Pope can bestow upon laity and religious.

The acknowledgement of Mother Angelica’s work by the Pope is highly significant in light of high profile criticism that the EWTN foundress has sustained over her unwavering fidelity to the faith. Mother Angelica had to endure crushing criticism and even attempts to take over her station by various left-leaning Catholic bishops in the United States.

As Catholic League President Bill Donohue wrote in a 2005 review of Raymond Arroyo’s nationally best-selling book on Mother Angelica, some bishops actively fought EWTN at its inception. “Indeed, the bishops tried to outdo her by launching their own effort, the Catholic Telecommunications Network of America (CTNA). It was clear from the beginning that Mother Angelica was seen as a threat: EWTN had a traditional orientation and CTNA took a modernist stance. EWTN won. CTNA collapsed.”

I know that Mother Angelica doesn’t do what she does for award or praise, but to have this honor given by her beloved Holy Father will give her much comfort I am sure. She has worked herself so hard to accomplish this task given her by God.

All of us can learn from her struggles as we try to do likewise in our daily challenges. To do good for God will bring much attack and suffering.

+God bless Mother Angelica and may he grant her many graces.

In Christ…:thumbsup:

I was fortunate enough to meet Mother Angelica in the early '80’s when she began working toward God’s mission for her life. She had a profound effect on me, a Baptist who had just began attending Catholic Church with my husband’s family. I love EWTN television and radio. My life is a struggle right now, but I remember the struggles of Jesus and thank God everyday for his blessings. Mother Angelica is one of those blessings.

Dear Mother Angelica and Deacon Bill,

I felt so proud that because of your undying love for our Our Lord and His Mother, this honor from the Vicar of Christ is an affirmation of the Church Militant’s gratitude for the evangelization that continues through EWTN.:clapping:

May our spiritual bouquets also give you some comfort of our love for both of you. Pray for us,also.

Prayers to both Mother Angelica and Deacon Bill. :thumbsup:

Awesome!!! Mother Angelica has done so much in her lifetime to glorify God. I wonder what the total number of people who have converted to Christ because of her efforts through the Holy Spirit? It has to be pretty high. My God continute to bless us with faithful like Mother Angelica through every generation.

God Bless both of them.:blessyou:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.