Pope Benedict 16 and Radical Traditionalists

Will Pope Benedict XVI bring SSPX and other radical traditionalist back to the Church?

I hope he can help bring them back. I hate having folks off in schism.

CARose

I dont think SSPX will ever come back. A few might leave and return to the truth, but the group itself would never admit defeat.

I am hoping and praying that he will be able to reconcile with our separated bretheren…This split amongst Catholics and the schismatic traditionalist hurts the Body of Christ terribly…it is time to heal the wounds and become one, once again.

[quote=CARose]I hope he can help bring them back. I hate having folks off in schism.CARose
[/quote]

Ben16 will bring a clarity to the Church. He himself said that there can be no love without truth. People who are looking for truth and for love will get the message loud and clear and there will be floods of conversions. People are running from the truth and are running from love will leave.

[quote=Ani Ibi] People who are looking for truth and for love will get the message loud and clear and there will be floods of conversions. People are running from the truth and are running from love will leave.
[/quote]

The flood of conversions, due I believe to the intercession of JPII, has already begun.

I too have faith and hope that the papalcy of Pope Benedict XVI will support the wave as it grows in size.

CARose

Hey, does Benedict LOOK like Pius X ??

Why not? we have to be optimistic, we have a strong pastor

I disovered an interesting fact as I was debating another poster who claimed Pope Benedict’s views on the Eucharist were more Protestant than Catholic (I know, :whacky: ). Anyhow, it seems that apart from the expected liberal/heterodox contingent, the strongest opposition and criticisms of him came from the traditionalist/schismatics.

I’ve been trying to get my head around that one, and the best I could do is that his papacy would pretty much render their existence meaningless. I don’t think they will be able to really claim the pope adheres to heterodox or non traditional ideals, so they have to make it appear that he does to justify their existence.

At least, that’s the only thing I can think of.

[quote=mtr01]I disovered an interesting fact as I was debating another poster who claimed Pope Benedict’s views on the Eucharist were more Protestant than Catholic (I know, :whacky: ). Anyhow, it seems that apart from the expected liberal/heterodox contingent, the strongest opposition and criticisms of him came from the traditionalist/schismatics.

I’ve been trying to get my head around that one, and the best I could do is that his papacy would pretty much render their existence meaningless. I don’t think they will be able to really claim the pope adheres to heterodox or non traditional ideals, so they have to make it appear that he does to justify their existence.

[/quote]

He has a lot of problem on his plate and this particular schism is not on the top of the list but if he treats them with dignity and let them save face, he could heal this schism.

I thought the same, that is why I started this thread.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=50831

[quote=jlw]Hey, does Benedict LOOK like Pius X ??
[/quote]

[quote=Maranatha]Will Pope Benedict XVI bring SSPX and other radical traditionalist back to the Church?
[/quote]

I doubt it. They seem pretty far gone.

I disovered an interesting fact as I was debating another poster who claimed Pope Benedict’s views on the Eucharist were more Protestant than Catholic (I know, :whacky: ).

We’ll see!

Maybe “Die Sakramentale Bergruendig Christlicher Existenz” will be republished.

We’ll see how he fares with the “ecumenical walk to unity” he has promised Cardinal Kasper this evening.

I believe he will try but as another poster mention, this is but one of a dozens of of areas facing Pope Benedict XVI.
Only through God’s Grace and healing can the ones in schism return to full communion ( I cast not stones but let the individuals and Church Heirarchy figure out who they are), and the project may well be worked out over several Popes (just has the division has occurred over several).

The Popes never seek out one issue at the exclusion of others for the Tripod of Truth works together as One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Thanks and God Bless.

Hello All,

Pope Benedict XVI has to address a lot of groups in the next several months/years. The SSPX and Sedvacationists are two big factions. I hope that the Ultra-Trads will reconcile with the Church, but if they refuse there is not much we can do. Though these groups are easy to symathize with, they sow seeds of discord that the House of God doesn’t need.

I don’t believe Pope Benedict XVI’s defense of the faith and ecclesiastical discipline will change. If the SSPX want to return to full communion with the pope like those at Campos did, it is the SSPX that will have to modify their disobedient ways.

It’s not as if he is going to redact Vatican II. I do believe there will be some traditionalists who will see the courage of this decision, and Ratzinger will continue to fight against Liturgical abuses - no question. Some may be moved to come back to Rome if they see the abuses cleaned up and come to the realization that the problem was not Vatican II, but a misapplication of Vatican II.

Others will not budge until Rome goes back to all Latin Masses.

They oppose the “novos order” mass…Benedict XVI will be more of the same since John XXIII as far as they are concerned.

I would freely describe myself as a traditionalist Catholic. I empathize with the plight of the SSPX (and other traditionalist but non-sedevacantist groups), and I’ve struggled as a so-called ‘indult Catholic’ for years and years.

I have admired Cardinal Ratzinger – now our pope, Benedictus XVI – for just as long. To me, he embodies the *SPIRIT *of Vatican II without compromising the austere traditions of our Church and the dogma of the Faith, and without compromising on what is Truth.

Indisputably, the problem over the past 25 years is that while the Church tried to open its doors to the world, it inadvertently allowed the world (and its Culture of Death) into the Church. Pope Paul VI appreciated this early on, when he said, “The smoke of Satan has entered the Church!”

Alas, the fascination with novelty and ‘renovation’ had taken over and gone ‘autopilot.’

Pope John Paul II (‘the Great’) – a holy and respectable man, clearly – was nevertheless a conundrum of sorts, leading the Church with a liberal, reformist approach in his younger years but adopting a more conservative stance in the twilight of his pontificate, especially as concerns morality and ethics.

What Benedictus XVI promises, to me, is a culmination of the older JP2’s vision, but in a way that would be pleasing to any pope of the days of old – or to any traditionalist today. He represents a return to what’s important: Less focus on novelty and popularity; less focus on modernism; less focus on relativism; less focus on political correctness. Instead, we will see more focus on catechesis and instruction; more focus on preservation and appreciation of tradition; more focus on morality; more focus on virtue; more focus on truth; more focus on leading truly spiritual and holy lives. I anticipate a sterner hand that will chastise the pastor and parishioner alike when they are in need of correction, but the gentle and loving hand of the shepherd caring for his flock.

It is said that all roads lead to Rome. If JP2 paved the way for a new millennium, Benedictus XVI will use these avenues to draw us home, to the one Rome, to the one Church.

AMDG.
~Alessandro.

[quote=mtr01] Anyhow, it seems that apart from the expected liberal/heterodox contingent, the strongest opposition and criticisms of him came from the traditionalist/schismatics.

[/quote]

Sadly Pope Benedict XVI has been made out to be a conspirator against the message of Fatima. He has dismissed with little patience those who insist that Russia has not been consecrated and that the Vatican is hiding the “true” third message.

There have been a couple books specifically placing Cardinal Ratzinger in the forefront of, at best, those who do not believe in the specific Fatima message, and, at worst, an active subverter of the message and fulfillment of Our Lady’s wishes.

For many, this is all they know about our new Pope. I pray that now they will be able to witness a man who will defend the true faith without compromise.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.