Pope Benedict changed phrase in Baptism ceremony [CWN]

Before his resignation took effect, Pope Benedict XVI made a small but important change in the text of the ceremony for Baptism.The outgoing Pope said that rather than a newly baptized ...

More...

My first question is why was the wording changed from...

“The Christian community welcomes you with great joy,”

to...

“The Church of God welcomes you with great joy.” ?

It seems to have an air of "exclusion". All Christians welcome and rejoice at infant baptism. I rejoice wether its a Protestant child or an Orthodox or Latin RC. Is Benedict removing this sacramental joy from the whole of Christendom and focusing it on the Roman Catholic Church alone? I hope not! but as is common nowadays, changes happen vis leaked correspondence to the press with absolutely no explanation for the change? Anyone know the reason why Benedict decided that the "traditional" version fell short, and his was an improvement???

@^The Pope has an absolute right as the Vicar of Christ to do what he did. Jesus only founded one universal Church. And Jesus founded that one Church with a visible hierarchy and with Peter as the first Vicar of Christ. Other Christians, in various degrees, have separated themselves from this one Church founded by God. By the way, "Church of God" is used several times in the Holy Bible (1 Corinthians 1:2, 1 Corinthians 10:32, 1 Corinthians 11:22, 1 Corinthians 15:9, 2 Corinthians 1:1, Galatians 1:13).

I think it is an excellent change. It emphasizes the distinction that baptism is not a simple initiation ceremony for a social club, an amorphous "Christian community". It is an indelible mark on the soul that welcomes the baptized into the Church of God, the people called together (ekklesia) by Christ for one purpose. It is far from being exclusive. It acknowledges the truth of the sacrament and heightens the mystery we enter into.

[quote="Didascalia, post:2, topic:337105"]

to...

It seems to have an air of "exclusion". All Christians welcome and rejoice at infant baptism. I rejoice wether its a Protestant child or an Orthodox or Latin RC. Is Benedict removing this sacramental joy from the whole of Christendom and focusing it on the Roman Catholic Church alone? I hope not! but as is common nowadays, changes happen vis leaked correspondence to the press with absolutely no explanation for the change? Anyone know the reason why Benedict decided that the "traditional" version fell short, and his was an improvement???

[/quote]

This isn't so much a statement about Catholics versus Orthodox versus Protestant. That would be horizontal thinking.

This new phrase is vertical. This is not just a community of people. While it is a community with people it is much, much more. This is God's Church.

[quote="SMHW, post:5, topic:337105"]
This isn't so much a statement about Catholics versus Orthodox versus Protestant. That would be horizontal thinking.

This new phrase is vertical. This is not just a community of people. While it is a community with people it is much, much more. This is God's Church.

[/quote]

Yes, and by invoking 'Church of God', by virtue of his position, he's staking a claim on the phrase. Fascinating!

This phrase about “community” (“communitas christiana”) was *not *found in the *traditional *Rite of Baptism.

It was added to the new Rite, promulgated on May 15 1969, or about 40 years ago, and now changed to “Ecclesia Dei”.

Please note

• in both the traditional and the new Rite the baptized professes:

(I do believe) in * the holy Catholic Church*

• Both the traditional and the new Rite have at the beginning the question:

What do you ask of God’s Church?

• In the new Rite we also read:

By the mystery of your death and resurrection, bathe this child in light, give him the new life of baptism and welcome him into your holy Church”.

• In the traditional Pontificale Romanum, the Rite of Baptism for Adults includes at the end the sentence:

“*N. ingredere in sanctam Ecclesiam Dei, ut accipias benedictionem coelestem a Domino Jesu Christo et habeas partem cum illo, et Sanctis ejus. *”

N. enter the holy Church of God, that you may accept the celestial benediction of the Lord Jesus Christ and have part with him, and his Saints.” (unofficial vernacular translation)

It is no issue at all that a Pope determined that it was more appropriate to give the welcome in the name of God’s Church.

It is, if anything, a matter of coherence, and a wise act of reparation.

Now we often confuse true and false ecumenism. The essay “The Curse of Broadmindedness” of Bishop Fulton Sheen is a wonderful, bold guidance on how to understand when we’ve gone astray…such as when we complain of an “air of exclusion”…I quote a few parts.

Call this intolerance, yes! That is just what it is-the intolerance of Divinity. It is the claim to uniqueness that brought the blow of the soldier against Christ, and it is the claim to uniqueness that brings the blow of the world’s disapproval against the Church. It is well to remember that there was one thing in the life of Christ that brought His death, and that was the intolerance of His claim to be Divine. He was tolerant about where He slept. and what He ate; He was tolerant about shortcomings of His fish-smelling apostles; He was tolerant of those who nailed Him to the Cross, but He was absolutely intolerant about His claim to be Divine. There was not much tolerance about His statement that those who I receive not in Him shall be condemned. There was not much tolerance about His statement that any one who would prefer his own father or mother to Him was not worthy of being His disciple. There was not much tolerance of the world’s opinion in giving His blessing to those whom the world would hate and revile. Tolerance to His Mind was not always good, nor was intolerance always evil.

There is no other subject on which the average mind is so much confused as the subject of tolerance and intolerance. Tolerance is always supposed to be desirable because it is taken to be synonymous with broadmindedness. Intolerance is always supposed to be undesirable, because it is taken to be synonymous with narrow-mindedness. This is not true, for tolerance and intolerance apply to two totally different things. Tolerance applies only to persons, but never to principles. Intolerance applies only to principles, but never to persons. We must be tolerant to persons because they are human; we must be intolerant about principles because they are divine. We must be tolerant to the erring, because ignorance may have led them astray; but we must be intolerant to the error, because Truth is not our making, but God’s.

The world may charge the Church with intolerance, and the world is right. The Church is intolerant-intolerant about Truth, intolerant about principles, intolerant about Divinity, just as Our Blessed Lord was intolerant about His Divinity. The other religions may change their principles, and they do change them, because their principles are man-made. The Church cannot change, because her principles are God-made. Religion is not a sure of beliefs that we would like, but the sum of beliefs God has given. The world may disagree with the Church, but the world knows very definitely with what it is disagreeing. In the future as in the past, the Church will be intolerant about the sanctity of marriage, for what God has joined together no man shall put asunder; she will be intolerant about her creed, and be ready to die for it, for she fears not those who kill the body, but rather those who have the power to cast body and soul into hell. She will be intolerant about her infallibility, for “Lo,” says Christ, “I am with you all the days even unto the end of the world.” And while she is intolerant even to blood, in adhering to the truths given her by her Divine Founder, she will be tolerant to those who say she is intolerant, for the same Divine Founder has taught her to say: “Father, forgive them, they know not what they do.”

There are only two positions to take concerning truth, and both of them had their hearing centuries ago in the court-room of Solomon where two women claimed a babe. A babe is like truth; it is one; it is whole; it is organic and it cannot be divided. The real mother of 'the babe would accept no compromise. She was intolerant about her claim. She must have the whole babe, or nothing-the intolerance of Motherhood. But the false mother was tolerant. She was willing to compromise. She was willing to divide the babe-and the babe would have met its death through broadmindedness.

The Church of God is Christ's body. Christ's body is the Church.

When you are baptized you become a member of Christ's body, the Church.

You can become a member of a Christian community in many ways, but you become a member in Christ's body - the Church of God - through baptism.

-Tim-

In addition, the official Decree from the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments reads:

Vitae et regni ianua, Baptismus est sacramentum fidei, quo homines incorporantur unicae Christi Ecclesiae, quae in Ecclesia catholica subsistit, a Successore Petri et Episcopis in eius communione gubernata.

Unde Congregationi de Cultu Divino et Disciplina Sacramentorum visum est variationem quandam in editionem typicam alteram Ordinis Baptismi Parvulorum inducere, eo ut in eodem ritu melius in lucem ponatur tradita doctrina de munere et officio Matris Ecclesiae in sacramentis celebrandis. Dicasterium proinde ea, quae sequuntur, disponit:

...]

Ego infrascriptus Congregationis Praefectus, haec Summo Pontifici Benedicto XVI exposuit, qui, in audientia die 28 mensis ianuarii 2013 eidem concessa, textum praesentem editionis typicae alterae Ordinis Baptismi Parvulorum modo sopradicto posthac variari benigne statuit.

A rough, unofficial vernacular reads:

Entrance to life and to the kingdom, Baptism is the sacrament of faith, that incorporates men into the one Church of Christ, which subsists in the catholic Church, governed by the Successor of Peter and the Bishops in communion with him.

Hence, it seemed good to the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments to introduce a variation on the typical edition of the Order of Baptism of Infants, so that in this rite a greater light be cast on the received doctrine of the duty and office of Mother Church in the celebration of the sacrament. This Dicastery thus disposes as follows:

...]

The Sovereign Pontiff Benedict XVI, at the Audience granted to the undersigned Congregation Prefect on the day 28 of the month of January of 2013, approved the present text of the altered typical edition of the Order of Baptism for Infants. and ordered it to be published.

So..."Pope Benedict changed phrase"...or did he? He has the last word, but the Dicastery that oversees Worship and Sacraments was involved.

[quote="livingwordunity, post:3, topic:337105"]
@^The Pope has an absolute right as the Vicar of Christ to do what he did. Jesus only founded one universal Church. And Jesus founded that one Church with a visible hierarchy and with Peter as the first Vicar of Christ. Other Christians, in various degrees, have separated themselves from this one Church founded by God. By the way, "Church of God" is used several times in the Holy Bible (1 Corinthians 1:2, 1 Corinthians 10:32, 1 Corinthians 11:22, 1 Corinthians 15:9, 2 Corinthians 1:1, Galatians 1:13).

[/quote]

That is in discordance with church doctrine that states ALL Christian baptisms are valid with some rare exceptions. Are Protestants no longer considered Christian by the RCC? The arbitrary he can do what he wants without explaining the action to the laity and instead passing it on via a silent press release without explanation is unacceptable. *This is the second revelation that came via an anonymous journalist in one week! * He needs to explain what the change means so as to avoid or indeed confirm peoples suspicions? It will be received by many as "Catholics Only" and by others as "Protestants are not Christians". I am disappointed that the Vatican sees fit to consult the popular press first on matters of faith rather than body faithful.

[quote="Didascalia, post:10, topic:337105"]
That is in discordance with church doctrine that states ALL Christian baptisms are valid with some rare exceptions. Are Protestants no longer considered Christian by the RCC? The arbitrary he can do what he wants without explaining the action to the laity and instead passing it on via a silent press release without explanation is unacceptable. *This is the second revelation that came via an anonymous journalist in one week! * He needs to explain what the change means so as to avoid or indeed confirm peoples suspicions? It will be received by many as "Catholics Only" and by others as "Protestants are not Christians". I am disappointed that the Vatican sees fit to consult the popular press first on matters of faith rather than body faithful.

[/quote]

Notitiae is far from "popular press". It's not as though they leaked it to the Daily Mail, they published it in their own official journal as they do all new liturgical texts.

I don't see how stating that the Church of God welcomes them is in any way denying the validity of other Christian Baptisms. They are being welcomed by the Church of God, not simply a generic Christian community, which is often interpreted to be the local community and not the universal Church.

indeed confirm peoples suspicions? It will be received by many as "Catholics Only" and by others as "Protestants are not Christians". I am disappointed that the Vatican sees fit to consult the popular press first on matters of faith rather than body faithful.

[/quote]

Some people are always looking for something to "take" in a way it was not meant. If the Church was afraid to say anything that might be taken wrong, it would never be able to say anything.

And, please point out where and how the Vatican "consulted" the popular press on matters of faith? I haven't seen any record of that.

That is in discordance with church doctrine that states ALL Christian baptisms are valid with some rare exceptions. Are Protestants no longer considered Christian by the RCC? The arbitrary he can do what he wants without explaining the action to the laity and instead passing it on via a silent press release without explanation is unacceptable. **This is the second revelation that came via an anonymous journalist in one week! **He needs to explain what the change means so as to avoid or indeed confirm peoples suspicions? It will be received by many as "Catholics Only" and by others as "Protestants are not Christians". I am disappointed that the Vatican sees fit to consult the popular press first on matters of faith rather than body faithful.

[/quote]

The Pope made the change because he saw fit to do so. He does not need your approval. Get a grip.

All Christians welcome and rejoice at infant baptism.

[/quote]

Really? Have you asked a Baptist, or a Pentecostal (e.g., Assemblies of God) what they think of infant baptism? Most Christians welcome and rejoice at infant baptism; not all. ;)

but as is common nowadays, changes happen vis leaked correspondence to the press with absolutely no explanation for the change?

As the official journal of the Congregation for Divine Worship, Notitiae is hardly 'leaked correspondence to the press'! Moreover, since it is only currently in effect in Latin, until local conferences of bishops determine the official vernacular translation, it makes sense that we haven't heard much about the change in the English-language press or from the USCCB. Patience, my friend... ;)

[quote="R_C, post:7, topic:337105"]
It is, if anything, a matter of coherence, and a wise act of reparation.

[/quote]

I follow your argument about coherence, but I'm confused about how this is an act of reparation.

[quote="Digitonomy, post:15, topic:337105"]
I follow your argument about coherence, but I'm confused about how this is an act of reparation.

[/quote]

Simply because never was the wording "the Christian community welcomes you" employed for this Sacrament. To change it to the proper term, Ecclesia Dei, was a wise act of reparation.

Similar acts of reparation can be found when the vernacular translation of English was repaired from "the good of all his Church" to "the good of all his holy Church", or the "Let us proclaim the mystery of faith" repaired to "The mystery of faith" - as the Mystery is *not *that sentence which follows, but rather, that which had just taken place right before, the consecration of the Body and Blood of Our Lord.

I'd like to reiterate one point: this is something that was done by or through the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith and the Discipline of the Sacraments, it was signed by the Cardinal Prefect of that Dicastery, shown to the Pope on private audience and approved by him, and published in the Acta Apostolicae Sedis as it is done for every such decree of the Holy See.

In fact, different and more expedite procedures do exist...when Pope Francis introduced St. Joseph in the Canon, the decree came from the same Dicastery, but we clearly read:

this Congregation ...] by virtue of the faculties granted by the Supreme Pontiff Francis, is pleased to decree ...]

and there is no mention of showing to the Pope in private audience for approval, an indication that this matter came directly from the Pope to the Dicastery.

Even further, if we look a few years back, to the beginning of the reign of Pope Benedict, we find that he did not wish to retain the change introduced by Pope John Paul's to the conclave ("after 33 ballots, a simple majority suffices") and he changed it back to the traditional two-thirds majority rule on his own authority by an apostolic letter motu proprio, and we read:

Nos igitur, quaestione attente perpensa, statuimus ac decernimus ...]

which means: "Therefore we, after having considered the question attentively, determine and decree..."

So if one who is shacky in his submission in mind and will to the Magisterium and to the Vicar of Christ wishes to rend his garments, he may be understood if the Pope had done this change on his own initiative, but not when this is done in the most open possible way.

Or perhaps some believe that an Ecumenical Council needed be convoked that all bishops of the world may discuss whether we should welcome the newly baptized in the name of God's Church, "which subsists in the Catholic Church governed by the Successor of Peter and the bishops in communion with him", or in fact whether we should reconsider "extra Ecclesia nulla sallus" to the degree of not just speaking of God's Church subsisting in the catholic Church, but rather, of stating that God's Church is an invisible community and this so-called catholic Church is a mere denomination, just like the Evangelical United Brethern or the Mennonites.

This sounds like a good change...I love Papa Ben! Praying for him.

to...

[/quote]

By your logic the first phrase also has an air of "exclusion" I mean CHRISTIAN community. Doesn't the Pope know that he is offending all non Christians?

You may not like the change but I get the feeling there is more to it than you are understanding.

Papa Ben is one of the greatest theological minds in recent times. Not just because he was Pope but because he actually thinks in ways that only one with a genius command of a subject can. I assure you he did not change it to offend the politically correct police.

[quote="R_C, post:16, topic:337105"]

So if one who is shakey in his submission in mind and will to the Magisterium and to the Vicar of Christ wishes to rend his garments,

[/quote]

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

[quote="R_C, post:9, topic:337105"]
Hence, it seemed good to the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments to introduce a variation on the typical edition of** the Order of Baptism of Infants**, so that in this rite a greater light be cast on the received doctrine of the duty and office of Mother Church in the celebration of the sacrament.

[/quote]

Does this mean the changes to the wording only apply when infants are baptised? Or will the new wording also be used when adults are baptised? Does anyone know?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.