Pope Benedict changes rituals for new pope's inauguration

catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1300800.htm

One of the most visual changes, he said, would be the restoration of the public “act of obedience” in which each cardinal present at the pope’s inaugural Mass comes forward and offers his allegiance.

I l ike this.

Msgr. Marini said Pope Benedict personally approved the changes Feb. 18; they include offering a wider choice of traditional Mass prayers in polyphony and chant, rather than the new musical repertoire composed for the 2005 book.

Oh…and this.

might pave the way for the restoration of the Tiara…although its largely irrelevant what Benedict just did, because the New Pope gains the same authority at the moment he is elected, meaning he has full leeway to change anything and everything he wants well before he is formally installed.

I realize you yearn for the whole tiara thing, but I think if Benedict had wanted it, this would have been the time. And I think the next pope is unlikely to add this for his own inauguration, because it will come off as self-aggrandizing. Even if he favors it, he will be strongly dissuaded by his advisors for this reason. I think your best shot is that the next pope may prescribe it as part of the ceremony for his successor.

well, we’ll find out in a month or so. Until then, I will continue to tout the virtue of it. And, if it comes to pass that it still is not restored, I guess we’ll be stuck waiting another couple of decades or so.

and I like this…

If at all, this.

In addition, Benedict altered his Papal Coat of Arms using a miter instead of the previous tiara.

I love traditional devotions but am not fond of the “lordly” aspects like the Cappa magna, the sedia gestatoria, those ostrich feather things.

These really are not theological aspects of ritual but are cultural holdovers from the class structures of the later medieval period and the Renaissance.

I agree…they are unnecessary and maybe even counterproductive to the Pope’s mission of reaching the masses. In fact, IMHO, some of them look downright silly.

I agree with this agreement.:stuck_out_tongue:

While I want the appearance to represent his papacy, I would like, at times, for it to represent that he is also a humble servant of God. I don’t know if the two can co-exist. I am in no way suggesting such clothing that would blend him into the crowd. For Good Friday, I’d like to see something very humbling and conservative…Forgive me, I am thinking out loud, as I am a bit conflicted…
But, my goodness, some of what the Pope wears also looks so gosh darned heavy…

Interesting!

I understand the arguments some of you make…but the Tiara (and to a lesser extent, the chair and feathers) are not simply the trappings of a noble court of the middle ages…they are symbols of authority. They are part of the dignity due to the Vicar of Christ, without which the Papacy has been lessened to appear as something between your local Bishop and a secular head of State. What does it say that we give greater dignity to the Queen of England or the President of the United States than we do to the head of the Universal Church?

I have NO problems with any of the Papal garb or trappings other than those specifically tied to class difference such as the cappa magna, the sedia gestatoria, and the ostrich feather things. There may be others but those stand out.

Most of the elaborate garb of the Pope have theological significance and I like that. I like that the Pope has begun using the falon again- which is really “fancy” but also has theological significance.

I do not like those few specific trapping tied pretty closely with temporal power and deriving directly from class structure. The cappa magna is so long as lords of the Renaissance rode horses and the cape covered the rear of the horse. And of course a Bishop was a noble so that garment is a holdover- not of spiritual matters or theological significance- but of class structures.

The tiara emphasized the three levels of authority of the Pope, one of which was temporal power- synonymous with a king. That aspect is no longer applicable as the Papal States are no more and the Pope claims no temporal power over foreign powers.

That is the difference.

The Pope can “and should” show dignity of the office but, IMO, not emphasize a “lordly” or temporal power element.

I am a big fan of the Latin Mass and sacred music but I feel that there are a few small aspects that are best left to the past.

Actually, its meant to represent the suffering, militant, and triumphant church. JP II dismissed the temporal power argument.

but I feel that there are a few small aspects that are best left to the past.

Is it really a “small aspect” though? It was the top most symbol of the Pope’s authority - not temporal, but spiritual. It filled a role that is not provided by a miter or staff or even the Pallium.

I didn’t know that, thanks for sharing.

The “small aspects” I was referring to were the various trappings I stated were more related to class difference than theological truths.

Sorry if my post wasn’t clear. :slight_smile:

Hence, my inner conflict…He must show the dignity of his office, without question. He can portray the humility of his office, as well. I am not suggesting that the latter replace the former, or happen more often. Just once in a while. Just as he sometimes gets into the culture of his travels.

bing.com/images/search?q=benedict+xvi&qs=IM&form=QBIR&pq=benedict&sc=8-8&sp=5&sk=IM4#view=detail&id=C6F58659995C408747CA2A4257B816B25B38B219&selectedIndex=146

Should help concrete papal authority and strengthen the Church overall.

When did the tiara thing start?

Start being used?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.