Pope Benedict XVI Apology to Muslims in TEXT:

The Pope after realized he cause such anger amongst Muslims has finally apologized.

This is his statement:

**Dear Brothers and Sisters,

The pastoral visit which I recently made to Bavaria was a deep spiritual experience, bringing together personal memories linked to places well known to me and pastoral initiatives towards an effective proclamation of the Gospel for today.

I thank God for the interior joy which he made possible, and I am also grateful to all those who worked hard for the success of this Pastoral Visit.

As is the custom, I will speak more of this during next Wednesday’s general audience.

At this time, I wish also to add that I am deeply sorry for the reactions in some countries to a few passages of my address at the University of Regensburg, which were considered offensive to the sensibility of Muslims.

These in fact were a quotation from a medieval text, which do not in any way express my personal thought.

Yesterday, the Cardinal Secretary of State published a statement in this regard in which he explained the true meaning of my words.

I hope that this serves to appease hearts and to clarify the true meaning of my address, which in its totality was and is an invitation to frank and sincere dialogue, with great mutual respect.**

The AP reported today:

“Palestinian Muslims hurled firebombs and opened fire at five churches in the West Bank and Gaza Strip Saturday to protest the Pope’s comments, sparking concerns of a rift between Palestinian Muslims and Christians.”

The pope has relayed the truth.

He apologize and still invoke violence…

[FONT=Arial]If I read this correctly, he did not retract the statement. He said he was sorry for the reactions to the passage. I don’t see anything where he is saying that those statements were not true. Now……… how about Muslims apologizing for their reaction, for hurling firebombs and for the insults to him by being burned in effigy; do you think that will happen? Snowball in hell will have a better chance. [/FONT]

no, he did not apologize for his remarks, he apologized for the fact that some persons misinterpeted those remarks, took them out of context, and imagined an insult where none was intended. there is a differenct.

Honestly, I think that’s all he should have apologized for. It was one small part in his speech, and it was blown out of proportion and out of context. To bomb churches out of outrage to protest the supposed insult almost seems to be reinforcing the “insult” that was made…Shouldn’t the best way to prove that your religion isn’t violent be to nonviolently protest? I realize that the violence is most likely caused by the more extremist members, but still.

I have been told that a correct translation is that he said he was saddened that people had misinterpreted his remarks.

Now, I may, and again I say “may” understand adults protesting in the streets. But from what I see in the news, little children, some bearing arms and shouting, I find this utterly despicable. There is no way, absolutely no way that these little children understand what they are doing. They are put there by adults, and the Bible warns about leading these little ones astray. To teach young children how to be violent especially by a religion that is supposedly preaching non-violence is beyond comprehension. Those adults that give guns to those little children and tell them to rant, and shout will be severely, and I mean severely, judged by God.
Lord, Forgive these little children because they know not what they do…

He is sorry the Muslims are on a rampage of terrorism in response to his invitation to real dialogue. It’s basically, “if you say Islam is violent we will kill you.” Their reaction shows their disdain for life and their disrespect and contempt for us. In fact even if he did what they wanted and became a good little dhimmi they still wouldn’t stop killing. It would only encourage them in the idea that the can get what they want by killing the nearest infidel. It would increase terrorism and just put off the day of reckoning.

I know i dont really see the logic. Using violence in response to be accused of being violent. Thats really going to prove something:rolleyes:

As far as I’m concerned, Islam is a spiritual cancer and all of the violence, terrorism, and other nonsense that it has supported just within the last 50 yrs. gives good reason to see at it as the threat it is.

There will never be any sort of respectable peace in the Middle East until Islam is finished as a religion. I have no beef with the Arab people, or any other ethnic or racial groups but I do take issue with Islam.

That Byzantine emperor was right-Islam introduced nothing new (and beneficial) that Christianity doesn’t already teach and anything it has that Christianity doesn’t have is negative. I don’t quite agree with Belloc when he says that Islam is a heresy, but it is a dangerous rival religion. What makes it so dangerous is their rejection of rational thought in the “faith + reason” equation. WIthout much recourse to reason, fundamentalism comes easy.

I wonder if Jesus would have apologized to the Jewish Authorities. Even Peter, Stephan, etc…

No, they never compromised truth for the sake of peace.

Mat 10

32Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

33But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

34Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.

37He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

39He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

Mark 8

35For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel’s, the same shall save it.

Manny - do you have the a link for this? I would just like it for refernce, thanks
-B.

He didn’t apologize. He said exactly what he should have said. The implicit point of the original speech was “If the Emperor was wrong, show us that he was wrong by engaging in respectful dialogue about the relationship between faith and the divine Logos.”

In another thread, I said that my problem with the Pope’s statements was his silence on Christian violence. But I suspect he would say that Christians have shown this violence to be extrinsic to Christianity by the fact that they have been willing to repudiate it and move beyond it, and that Christian theologians have shown that violence is false to the central teachings of the Faith. He’s challenging Muslims to do the same thing. It’s a fair challenge, and the wilful Islamic refusal to take him up on it is the most damning commentary on contemporary Islam (maybe, though not certainly, Islam as a whole) that we have yet seen. Terrorist acts like 9/11, horrible as they are, can be understood as a response to perceived aggression or whatever, and furthermore were condemned by most mainstream Islamic leaders (please, guys, don’t make me post the evidence showing this for the 100th time!). But when the Pope makes a perfectly reasonable intellectual challenge to Muslims, and most Muslim leaders blame *him *for the ensuing violence, then this really shows that something is fundamentally rotten.

Edwin

Christians violence

This term is something that does not exist. There was the crusades, where non-Christians, going against the will of God, waved the cross. This was the catholic church, not Chrsitians. The Bible commands that true Christianity be spread through preaching of the Gospel. The crusaders acted in disobidience to the Word of God. You can hold those men accountable for what they did, but it was not Christians.

Christian means “Christ-like,” the crusaders were not like Christ. Christianity is not a religion. The catholic church also killed many many Christians (non Catholic) during this time for not submitting to Rome.

Is Islam violence in obidience to, or contradiction to their book? From the bits and pieces of the Koran I have read, I suggest they are acting in obdience to their religion.

:banghead:

In other words…“Sorry I hurt your feelings, but the truth hurts sometimes. Maybe if you didn’t firebomb churches, imprision Christians all over the world, and shoot nuns in the back like cowards, I would not have to say things like this.” Love ya…Mean it…Papa Ben.

rbarcia: You are making a distinction between Protestants and Catholics when talking about the Crusades (by making the typical Protestant distinction of “Christian” vs. “Catholic” :rolleyes: ), yet you appear to have no knowledge of history. There was no such thing as a “Do not have a religion but I am Christian” during the era of the Crusades.

Eden…that was one of the funniest things I have ever read!!!

Note to you rbarcia…No Catholic Church = No Other Christian Church…who do you think carried the torch for the first 1500 years.

Well why leave out the KKK, lynching black people, protestants killing Mormons, protestant starving and killing Irish Catholics, killing any priests who did not adhere to Henry VIII version of Christianity, or what the Protestants who comprised the vast majority of this country did to the Native Americans etc?

When Protestants start waving the violence finger at Catholics, it can undoubtedly be turned right back to themselves. Protestants just didn’t exist as long as Catholics.

Not to mention Muslims had already invaded Spain and were on the outskirts of Austria. Without the Crusades, there may be no Church, or the Western Churches may look like the decimated Eastern Churches that were the Byzantines.

I won’t apologize for the Crusades, I think we need another Crusade to drive Muslims back to thier lands. They are trying to swallow up Europe by immigration, it is only a matter of time until Muslims insist on sharia in places like France and England. A good old fashioned crusade may be called for. This time we’ll just stop at Turkey.

As far as violence not being Christlike, have you read revelation? Who are the armies doing battle with the Beast at Armegeddon? Are they both armies of satan? Violence is abhorent but at times very needed, just pick up your Bible and you can see examples of it everywhere.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.