Pope Benedict XVI + Francis Cardinal George = TRUE LITURGICAL REFORM?

There is some talk that Cardinal George is one of the front runners for the new Pope’s former job as the head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. That 1-2 combination would really seem to be able to put the hurt to liturgical abuse – particularly in the USA. Comments?

. That 1-2 combination would really seem to be able to put the hurt to liturgical abuse – particularly in the USA. Comments?

I would doubt it, Cardinal George is pretty flexible in what he allows in liturgical practices in his own see.

Most notably, at St. Sabina parish where the parish priest is a bit of a political liberal and has some different ideas on how to say mass.

I know that many predict that this Pope will beat parish priests and bishops over the head with a thurifer or whatever.

But I would really suggest that you all look back into the recent history of the Church (perhaps the last 100 years or so), and examine the extent to which Rome has exercised ANY discipline at all, how much “punishment” it has ever meted out.

I think you’ll find that the reform you desire, simply cannot happen.

The bets in this area are that Archbishop Laveda of San Francisco may have a better shot at the post. He worked under Cardinal Ratzinger at the time, and they are purportedly good friends.

Rumor has it that when it was time for a bishop to be named, the list was sent to the Vatican. After the list got there, a name on the list was circled, and another name was added to the list and also circled. The name added? Laveda. The bishop consecrated? Laveda.

[quote=otm]The bets in this area are that Archbishop Laveda of San Francisco may have a better shot at the post. He worked under Cardinal Ratzinger at the time, and they are purportedly good friends.
[/quote]

Really? Interesting.

I live in the San Francisco area ('though not in the SF archdiocese) and I had heard that Archbishop Laveda had worked with Pope Benedict. However, I’ll be surprised if the Archbishop is chosen- I haven’t seen any monumental changes in his own diocese (which, like many in the area, has high incidence of dissent, abuse, ignorance, heterodoxy etc.) although the pro-life movement there has really started making its voice with his support. Also, Laveda is also fairly new to his archbishopric - he was installed only 5 or 6 years ago, I think.

I would tend to agree. Cardinal George is already leading ICEL in order to help straighten it out. He fired (one of his rare firings) the old editor of the Archdiocese’s publishing house, Liturgical Training Publications, which had been spreading error for some time. He has been attempting to eradicate general absolution. He was initially mocked as “Francis the Corrector” by the Chicago presbyterate for his interventions early in his archbishopric here.

That said, I don’t know how much can be ultiamtely done from Rome. Direction can be provided, intervention can be made, but ultimately these are things which really must be dealt with at a local level and require the positive cooperation of the bishops and priests and laity in the many dioceses of the world.

Abp Levada has been the Abp of SF for 10 years now.

[quote=peregrinator_it]Really? Interesting.

I live in the San Francisco area ('though not in the SF archdiocese) and I had heard that Archbishop Laveda had worked with Pope Benedict. However, I’ll be surprised if the Archbishop is chosen- I haven’t seen any monumental changes in his own diocese (which, like many in the area, has high incidence of dissent, abuse, ignorance, heterodoxy etc.) although the pro-life movement there has really started making its voice with his support. Also, Laveda is also fairly new to his archbishopric - he was installed only 5 or 6 years ago, I think.
[/quote]

It seems to me that if you want liturgical reform, you’d want to be talking about the Prefect of the C.D.W., not the C.D.F. Cardinal Arinzé seems to be doing a decent job with the C.D.W.

Here’s my forumla:

Pope Benedict XVI + Bishop Fernando Rifan = TRUE LITURGICAL REFORM

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.