Pope Benedict XVI kind of favored St. Pius X today...what do you think?

WHen he walked out to give his blessing, I was thinking about how much Pope Benedict XVI favored St. Pius X…did anyone else see this resemblence? I was watching EWTN and Arroyo mentioned the same thing…so I know it isn’t just me. I hope his Orthodoxy and approach is like Saint Pius X. It was the expression on his face, the white hair…his overall appearance…it was kind of intriguing.

http://www.comcast.net/data/2005/04/19/bin38456.jpghome.vr-web.de/loeckmann/pius10.JPG

[quote=dumspirospero]WHen he walked out to give his blessing, I was thinking about how much Pope Benedict XVI favored St. Pius X…did anyone else see this resemblence?
[/quote]

What does it matter? Suppose Benedict XVI “favored” Abraham Lincoln? What would we be expected to draw from that?

I can tell you are one of the upset heterdoxical supporters. I am sorry to gloat…but I am so happy. Thanks for your unkind response…I don’t care…today is a day of celebration…God Bless you, I will pray for you.

[quote=Richardols]What does it matter? Suppose Benedict XVI “favored” Abraham Lincoln? What would we be expected to draw from that?
[/quote]

[quote=dumspirospero]I can tell you are one of the upset heterdoxical supporters.
[/quote]

I wanted Arinze, but my point still holds. What difference does it make whom the new Pope favors?

I just think it is cool…because I think they will share the same Orthodoxy and St. Pius X …well he is a Saint, and I believe it could be a forshadowing of his Papacy and how great a Pope he is going to be…that is all.

[quote=Richardols]I wanted Arinze, but my point still holds. What difference does it make whom the new Pope favors?
[/quote]

[quote=dumspirospero]I just think it is cool…because I think they will share the same Orthodoxy and St. Pius X …well he is a Saint, and I believe it could be a forshadowing of his Papacy and how great a Pope he is going to be…that is all.
[/quote]

Well, personally I don’t know about all that, not that I mind it.

I just think they look alike. What’s the big deal in pointing it out, Rich?

I accept whomever is chosen, but you do bring up a good point.

Why did he pick Benedict instead of Pius? I dont know much about either one, but there had to be a good reason.

Don’t know…I was hoping he would pick Pius XIII…but I am not really sure why he chose Benedict…all I care about is that he is our Pope…This calls for a celebration.

[quote=Catholic Dude]I accept whomever is chosen, but you do bring up a good point.

Why did he pick Benedict instead of Pius? I dont know much about either one, but there had to be a good reason.
[/quote]

[quote=Catholic Dude]I accept whomever is chosen, but you do bring up a good point.

[/quote]

Well the “experts” seem to think that he was trying to soften his image a bit, since Benedict XV was seen as a more moderate pope than his predecessor, Pius X.

[quote=mtr01]Well the “experts” seem to think that he was trying to soften his image a bit, since Benedict XV was seen as a more moderate pope than his predecessor, Pius X.
[/quote]

When he was a cardinal, Ratzinger referred to St. Benedict (not Benedict XV) as an outsider who “[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][size=2][font=Arial][size=2]proved to be an ark of survival for Western civilisation.”

I believe those “experts” aren’t looking far enough back in the history of our Faith, and I think it’s pretty clear how seriously our Holy Father is taking his new “job”, as the guardian of the deposit of faith, the deposit of faith without which we have no hope.
[/size][/font][/size][/font]

Cool…thanks for the insight…I never heard that anywhere before. :slight_smile:

[quote=patrickmichael]When he was a cardinal, Ratzinger referred to St. Benedict (not Benedict XV) as an outsider who “[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][size=2][font=Arial][size=2]proved to be an ark of survival for Western civilisation.”

I believe those “experts” aren’t looking far enough back in the history of our Faith, and I think it’s pretty clear how seriously our Holy Father is taking his new “job”, as the guardian of the deposit of faith, the deposit of faith without which we have no hope.
[/size][/size][/font][/font]
[/quote]

[/quote]

From what I’ve read, the last Pope Benedict, the XV, who was pope just before WWI, was known for trying to bring peace into the world just as it was going headlong into strife and uncertainty. Unfortunately he wasn’t successful. The popes Benedict I think are known for trying to bring peace and for having a peaceful disposition.
It may be a harbinger for the times we are in now, and for what lie in store for us… :frowning:
In any case, long live Pope Benedict XVI !!! :thumbsup:

[quote=mtr01]Benedict XV was seen as a more moderate pope than his predecessor, Pius X.
[/quote]

IMO, not just seen as, but was. He tried exceptionally hard to avert the war, then to have it end. The egos and lack of humility on the parts of all the belligerents prevented the Pope’s good offices from being of any effect.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.