Pope Benedict XVI 'to resign'

The Pope is to resign at the end of this month in an entirely unexpected development, reports from the Vatican say.

The 85-year-old became Pope Benedict XVI in April 2005 following the death of Pope John Paul II.

bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304
ansa.it/

itv.com/news/update/2013-02-11/pope-benedict-to-resign/

It’s only breaking news, at the moment, there has been no verification yet however both national news stations are running with the story, in Ireland/UK.

What? :frowning: I love the Pope Benedict. Let’s hope and pray his successor will be as holy and orthodox as him if true. The Church really can’t use a weak or liberal Pope right now.

Just saw the same headline here in NJ USA. What the heck is going on? Can he resign? What happens then?

Hard to credit. Is there anything in the Vatican website, for example?

He will be standing down on February 28trh the first Pope to do so since 1294.

Pope Benedict is Retiring …
guardian.uk

Not that I have seen.

I haven’t found a link online, but I just heard on the radio that in the Vatican statement, it was noted that he is “losing strength” and his advanced age.

bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304 Oh MY!

What is the reason? Any clue as yet?

A few popes have resigned before. All that is needed is his wish and free consent to resign. I don’t think a pope can be forced to resign (against his will). See:

atheism.about.com/od/popesandthepapacy/a/resignations.htm
atheism.about.com/od/popesandthepapacy/a/resignations_2.htm

What happens is that the Cardinals just elect a new one.

God bless him, he must be quite ill to make such a decision.

That was my thought as well.

I’ve just heard this! I am shocked and really rather devastated!

Not yet, no official reason apart from his health - unless you want to listen to the ‘BBC’ ‘make-it-up-as-you-go-along’ version, then it’s to do with the stress caused by his ‘mishandling of the sex abuse scandal’! :frowning: Will they ever give it a rest.

It’s now in the newspapers here in Australia too. Assuming the information is correct (and stranger things have happened than a misreporting of something like this) then it is indeed sad.

Poor man. I saw the footage of him with the Knights of Malta and thought he looked frail there. :frowning:

I don’t think he ever wanted to be pope. He prayed during the election that he wouldn’t be. Which is one of the reasons he was the right man for the papacy. He is a man of duty so he must be ill indeed. :frowning:

Very sad news hoping he is not too unwell :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.