Pope Benedict XVI/vespers/psalm prayers/our father

Anybody saw live Vespers with the Pope today from the Basilica of St. Paul outside the Walls in Rome? It was in celebration of today’s feast of the Conversion of St. Paul.

Anyways, for all you interested in LOTH issues, there were a few peculiarities that I noticed.

During the psalmody, the psalm prayers were actually prayed! Wow, I thought it was only the ICEL LOTH litugicial books to actually include the Psalm prayers. I was even under the impression they would eventually do away with them altogether in the next revision of the LOTH.

And then at the end of the “Our Father” (ie. “but deliver us from evil.”) they actually sang the doxology: “For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours now and for ever.” (in latin, of course). Now for those of you familiar with the rubrics for the Office, the doxology is always omitted (unlike in the Holy Mass), and instead the closing prayer should be immediately said. I was shocked upon hearing the doxology during the Office.

And the last thing I noticed was the inclusion of a second short reading.

Who would have thought.

If anybody has any explanations why these changes were made, I’d be happy to know.

You can download a copy of tonight’s vespers, as celebrated by the Holy Father, here: vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/libretti/2011/20110109.pdf

This is interesting…I will do some digging. Could it be that it was a feast day, and perhaps that allowed for certain elements that you mention?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.