Pope Benedict XVI

For some reason I feel like our current Holy father ,Pope Benedict XVI, has something special about him. His conservative stance and "pro catholic", no buts, attitude proves him to be a true defender of the holy faith of the apostles,

His re-affirmation of the universal primacy of the Roman
Catholic Church, approving a document released
that says Orthodox churches were defective
and that other Christian denominations were not true
churches.

Christ ‘established here on earth’ only one church. The other communities cannot be called ‘churches’ in the proper sense because they do not have apostolic succession — the ability to trace their bishops back to Christ’s original apostles.

His direct but truthful criticism of Protestantism and Orthodoxy only goes to show that he will defend the faith and its truth in spite of societies growing relative ideology. Further he is captaining the Church through some of the hardest modern day trials against homosexuality, liberalism, relativism, abortion and a society that lacks any morals , and shows no sign of giving in.

His criticism of Vatican II's Nostra Aetate's by saying :

The document speaks of religion only positively and ignores then the sick and distorted forms of religion, which historically and theologically are of great significance: the Christian faith was for that reason from beginning to the end and inside out also critical of religion. :tsktsk:

Maybe one day he will be Pope St.Benedict XVIí

I think, at the least, he should be named a Doctor of the Church!

The abbot of the abbey I'm associated with told oblates recently, after a visit to Rome, that people went to Rome to see John Paul II, but they go to Rome to hear Benedict XVI!

Guided by the Holy Spirit, Pope Benedict XVI was elected at the proper time to lead the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church through this time of agressively evil attacks on our faith around the world. People of faith around the world who have remained faithful to the Church know that our Pope is a true champion of Christ and his message to the world. Praise God for his leadership and his witness.

[quote="Wandile, post:1, topic:303857"]
His criticism of Vatican II's Nostra Aetate's by saying

[/quote]

So it's okay for Ratzinger to criticize the Council documents, but not okay for others to do it? Interesting.

Essentially, yes. This is because he along with the cardinals and college of Bishops, provide the proper exegesis of the document. He provided a correct criticism and true meaning and intent of Nostra Aetate in response the the eisegisis of both liberals and traditionalists.

The problem with others, who are not cardinals nor within the college of bishops, attempting to criticise council documents is that most of them have preconceived liberal or traditionalist (or whatever) bias’, and this leads them to extract an incorrect meaning of the documents.

His criticism of the document was a true and reflective view point of the document. This only makes sense because **he was actually there at Vatican II.

[quote="Wandile, post:6, topic:303857"]
Essentially, yes. This is because he along with the cardinals and college of Bishops, provide the proper exegesis of the document. He provided a correct criticism and true meaning and intent of Nostra Aetate in response the the eisegisis of both liberals and traditionalists.

The problem with others, who are not cardinals nor within the college of bishops, attempting to criticise council documents is that most of them have preconceived liberal or traditionalist (or whatever) bias', and this leads them to extract an incorrect meaning of the documents.

His criticism of the document was a true and reflective view point of the document. This only makes sense because *he was actually there at Vatican II.

[/quote]

If you say so. I wonder about all the bishops and cardinals that disagree with Benedict XVI's criticism. They were at Vatican II as well.

[quote="cheese_sdc, post:7, topic:303857"]
If you say so. I wonder about all the bishops and cardinals that disagree with Benedict XVI's criticism. They were at Vatican II as well.

[/quote]

Not all of them actually. But I get your point. There will always be those who disagree. However you need to realise that Pope Benedict XVI's criticism did the job it was supposed to. To provide a true meaning of the document which he did. Whether people agree with the document or not is immaterial to his criticism. As its job was simply to enlighten all on the true intent and flaws of Nostra Aetate .

The first quote is hardly unique to Benedict. It's straight from the Vatican II document Unitatis Redintegratio.

And I don't see how the second quote can be construed as a "criticism" of Nostra Aetate. Do you mind providing a link to where Benedict said that so we can see the quote in context?

But yes, Benedict is a great pope. :)

[quote="Wandile, post:8, topic:303857"]
Not all of them actually. But I get your point. There will always be those who disagree. However you need to realise that Pope Benedict XVI's criticism did the job it was supposed to. To provide a true meaning of the document which he did. Whether people agree with the document or not is immaterial to his criticism. As its job was simply to enlighten all on the true intent and flaws of Nostra Aetate .

[/quote]

Just another reason I'm not longer Catholic. This document is an incredible example of understanding between religions, but the conservatives in the Church became frightened. Glad I left.

[quote="Joe_5859, post:9, topic:303857"]
And I don't see how the second quote can be construed as a "criticism" of Nostra Aetate. Do you mind providing a link to where Benedict said that so we can see the quote in context?

But yes, Benedict is a great pope. :)

[/quote]

Here is the quote in context:

"Thus, in a precise and extraordinarily dense
document, a theme is opened up whose importance
could not be foreseen at the time. The task that it
involves and the efforts that are still necessary in order
to distinguish, clarify and understand, are appearing
ever more clearly.In the process of active reception, a
weakness of this otherwise extraordinary text has
gradually emerged: it speaks of religion solely in a
positive way and it disregards the sick and distorted
forms of religion which, from the historical and
theological viewpoints, are of far-reaching
importance; for this reason the Christian faith, from the
outset, adopted a critical stance towards religion
both internally and externally."

And you can find it and more quotes from this link : Unam Sanctam

I will try find a better link for you. I hope this helps. :)

[quote="cheese_sdc, post:10, topic:303857"]
Just another reason I'm not longer Catholic. This document is an incredible example of understanding between religions, but the conservatives in the Church became frightened. Glad I left.

[/quote]

Well whatever your deeper reasons may have been; extremists of both ends (liberal and conservative) exist in all denominations and religions. :shrug:

But ey, who am I to judge.

[quote="Wandile, post:11, topic:303857"]
Here is the quote in context:

And you can find it and more quotes from this link : Unam Sanctam

I will try find a better link for you. I hope this helps. :)

[/quote]

Thanks, I found the full text of Benedict's reflections on the Vatican website.

I think that blog author overblows Pope Benedict's criticism. He takes the one weakness Benedict points out and uses it to undermine the whole document (and in turn all the Council documents). I'm fairly certain that's not what the Pope had in mind. Indeed, the only reason he mentions Nostra Aetate at all is because of it's importance in the context of the Church encountering the modern world.

I agree with your comments on the blog. I just used the blog as a source for the quote :slight_smile:

[quote="Wandile, post:14, topic:303857"]
I agree with your comments on the blog. I just used the blog as a source for the quote :)

[/quote]

Okay. :)

Long live Pope Benedict XVI! You are Peter. We love you, your holiness.

I don’t know why you are lumping Orthodoxy here, the Catholic Church has maintained in the recent decades that the Orthodox Church is a true Apostolic Church with valid Sacraments and a valid priesthood (thus valid and true Apostolic Succession).

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:17, topic:303857"]
I don't know why you are lumping Orthodoxy here, the Catholic Church has maintained in the recent decades that the Orthodox Church is a true Apostolic Church with valid Sacraments and a valid priesthood (thus valid and true Apostolic Succession).

[/quote]

Who said they didn't? :confused:

The reason why I put Orthodoxy there is in reference to Benedict XVI stating that although they have valid apostolic succession, they have defects due to them not being in communion with Rome (Schismatics).

Sorry if me placing Orthodoxy in that paragraph seemed like I was lumping it with the statement about protestants and their lack of apostolic succession.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.