Pope Benedict's Papal Mass

Why did Pope Benedict XVI say the protestant ending to the Our Father at the Papal Coronation Mass? :hmmm:

“For Thine is the Kingdom, the power and the glory forever”

Can anyone show me in Catholic scripture or in tradition where this ending has been used at a Catholic mass before? :confused:

Certain translations of the Bible and other ancint manuscripts dating from Apostolic times include that ending. In every American, Philippine, and Canadian Catholic Church I’ve been to, this is always used. Usually it is said after the celebrant recites the following after the Our Father:
“Deliver us Lord from every evil, and grant us peace in our day. In your mercy keep us free from sin and protect us from all anxiety as we wait in joyful hope for the coming of your Savior, Jesus Christ”.

Why did Pope Benedict XVI say the protestant ending to the Our Father at the Papal Coronation Mass?

It’s not a coronation mass, it’s an installation mass.

Another thing: Vatican II added it as a show of Christian unity, to help fulfill the words of Christ “that they may be one” (John 17:11). By the way, what’s the problem with saying that ending? Is it some grave contradition to catholic beliefs? Should not the kingdom, power, and glory be God’s for eternity, or not?

It used to be, until Pope Paul VI discontinue the tradition and his successors, including Pope Benedict XVI followed suit.

[quote=Fidei Defensor]Certain translations of the Bible and other ancint manuscripts dating from Apostolic times include that ending. In every American, Philippine, and Canadian Catholic Church I’ve been to, this is always used. Usually it is said after the celebrant recites the following after the Our Father:
“Deliver us Lord from every evil, and grant us peace in our day. In your mercy keep us free from sin and protect us from all anxiety as we wait in joyful hope for the coming of your Savior, Jesus Christ”.

It’s not a coronation mass, it’s an installation mass.
[/quote]

I wonder why Pope St Pius V never added this ending in his missal then! :hmmm:

Your right about the Installation instead of the coronation. I almost forgot that Pope Paul VI sold the papal tiara. A long standing tradition in the church and the symbol of the papacy from time immemorial!

What was he thinking! :confused:

The “doxology” of the Pater Noster is thought to be a “gloss,” a pious addition by a devout scribe somewhere along the line. The earliest known manuscripts/copies of Mark do not contain it. The order of the liturgy is a subject of discipline, the theology of it is doctrine or dogma. Words can be added, just as Pope Leo XIII (someone you like to quote, Trutop) included the Prayer to the Archangel Michael in the Mass.

Either that, or it’s a Masonic plot!!!

[quote=toppro77]Why did Pope Benedict XVI say the protestant ending to the Our Father at the Papal Coronation Mass? :hmmm:

“For Thine is the Kingdom, the power and the glory forever”

[/quote]

Because he is diligent about following the GIRM and to leave it out would have been a liturgical abuse???

He was afterall saying the normative Mass in Latin, not the pre-1965 Mass.

I wonder why Pope St Pius V never added this ending in his missal then! :hmmm:

Your right about the Installation instead of the coronation. I almost forgot that Pope Paul VI sold the papal tiara. A long standing tradition in the church and the symbol of the papacy from time immemorial!

What was he thinking! :confused:

[/quote]

Sold it? Her donated it to the US National Catholic cathedral in Washington DC. Not all tiaras stay in Rome, what’s wrong with that?

[quote=JKirkLVNV]The “doxology” of the Pater Noster is thought to be a “gloss,” a pious addition by a devout scribe somewhere along the line. The earliest known manuscripts/copies of Mark do not contain it. The order of the liturgy is a subject of discipline, the theology of it is doctrine or dogma. Words can be added, just as Pope Leo XIII (someone you like to quote, Trutop) included the Prayer to the Archangel Michael in the Mass.

Either that, or it’s a Masonic plot!!!
[/quote]

This guy knows what he’s talking about.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.