Pope calls destruction of nature a modern sin

aljazeera.com/news/europe/2014/07/pope-calls-destruction-nature-modern-sin-201475111022460224.html

ore wise words from the Holy Father.

…to say nothing of the destruction of the native peoples who live in them.

Yes indeed. In the Spirit of his namesake; the Patron Saint of Ecology & the Environment.

I hate seeing beautiful parks, lakes, beaches polluted and full of littler. The destruction of nature is a disgraceful misuse of the resources that God entrusted onto humans.

I thought I would share a landscape that I own that hangs on my bedroom wall.

Sorry if the image is blurry, I took it with my webcam.

It’s always sad seeing nature being destroyed and placed with ugly replacements.

Totally agree with the Holy Father.

“When I look at America, also my own homeland (South America), so many forests, all cut, that have become land … that can longer give life. This is our sin, exploiting the Earth and not allowing her to her give us what she has within her,”

Nahhh, fossil fuel extraction prosperity is more important. Down with the EPA and Federal Government–Vote Tea Party!!!

Richer industrial countries have found technological solutions to mitigate the damages that a modern day economy may have on the environment. Steps have been taken to where acid rain is no longer a threat, and no mines or megaprojects can be undertaken without the necessary risk assessments being performed and potential problems being resolved before problems are addressed. Lakes have been cleaned, and forests restored, and much time effort and money is spent discovering new ways to harmonize the demands of a functioning economy with the environment.

A critical aspect of the success of such projects is to have an economy functioning well enough that measures as expensive of these be undertaken in the first place.

“When I look at America, also my own homeland (South America), so many forests, all cut, that have become land … that can longer give life. This is our sin, exploiting the Earth and not allowing her to her give us what she has within her,”

I am trying to figure out where in America the pope is referring to. In the northwest the lumber industry is pretty vital to many communities. One can drive through the forests and see clear cuts - but also notice that seedlings have been planted in the place of the trees that were cut. To drive through the area is to see forests in various stages of renewal. I think the correct balance has been struck between preservation and conservation and exploitation of resources. I cannot vouch for the rest of America though. I have heard bad things about S. America and the destruction of the Amazon, e.g. But America?

Ishii

I think one of the objections to this type of practice is the loss of biodiversity, A truly healthy forest has more than just one species of tree.

I don’t think lack of biodiversity is a problem in the example I described earlier. Maybe in the very beginning at the planting of the saplings, but over time due to the rich diversity of nearby forests, seeds from all kinds of other plants end up in the mix - via the wind and animals - and thrive. Again, I can’t speak for South America ( or even the rest of America for that matter) but in the northwest forests that I live near, there isn’t what I’d call a sinful destruction.

Ishii

If the Democrats had it their way, every forest would have an abortion clinic right next to the rangers station with free granola bars, bottled water and contraceptives for homosexuals and illegals. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.