Pope Calls Out Catholic Charities for Promoting Abortion, Contraception

Didn’t see that a thread had already been started (but that’s not to say one won’t appear while I’m writing this).

From this link:

In what some Catholics are calling a “surprise move,” Pope Benedict XVI issued an apostolic letter directing Catholic charities that they must act in complete compliance with Catholic teachings.

The Pope’s letter was released following his expression of deep concern in recent years at the secularization and openly anti-Catholic trends that have manifested themselves within lay-funded Catholic charitable organizations that have been officially recognized by the Church.

My sentiment is less along the lines of “surprise move” and more along the lines of, “It’s about time!” (and that it should be extended to Catholic educational institutions as well).

God Bless Pope Benedict. He has done so much to stand up for Catholic orthodoxy

I don't really see it as a "surprise move" nor a "calling out." He's simply laying down formal regulations asking Catholic charitable organizations to be Catholic.

What else would he do? ;)

I’m hoping I will see more moves like this come out from Papa Benedetto :thumbsup:

May God give Holy Father strength, for he has a very difficult task on his hands. :highprayer:

Attaboy, Holy Father!:thumbsup:

WOW:thumbsup:

Here is the document on the Vatican website:

On the Service of Charity

It’s a fairly quick read. :slight_smile:

For Canadians on here this would have an impact on D&P

lifesitenews.com/resources/development-and-peace

Glad to see the Pope truly vindicate Lifesite News in this endeavour.

Of course the Pope is right,

There is no room for Catholic agencies who publicly profess or push ideas which aren't in line with Catholic thought.

…and may Our Holy Father have many more years with us. Amen.

Specifically, Pope Benedict XVI’s legal document, technically known as a motu proprio, stipulates that:
[LIST]
*]A charitable group may call itself “Catholic” only with the written consent of church authorities. If a particular outfit is deemed to be no longer “in conformity with the church’s teaching,” the bishop should make that known and take steps to prevent it from using the title “Catholic.”
*]Personnel must “share, or at least respect” the Catholic identity of church-affiliated charitable organizations, and must also “give an example of Christian life” beyond their professional competence.
*]A Catholic charity may not take money “from groups or institutions that pursue ends contrary to the church’s teaching.”
*]To avoid leading people “into error or misunderstanding,” bishops are to ensure that parishes and dioceses don’t publicize initiatives “which, while presenting themselves as charitable, propose choices or methods at odds with the church’s teaching.”
*]CRF
[/LIST]

blog

Thread on the topic can be found here
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=734200

Text of letter is here
vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/motu_proprio/documents/hf_ben-xvi_motu-proprio_20121111_caritas_en.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.