Pope: Climate Change a serious ethical and moral responsibility

Once again, our Church offers a left-wing opinion on a political issue about which it knows nothing. In doing so, it gives cover to pro-abortion “Catholics” who want to vote for Democrats. After all, now a leftist Catholic can say, "You pro-lifers only care about unborn babies. We need to save the planet!

en.radiovaticana.va/news/2014/12/11/pope_climate_change_an_ethical_and_moral_responsibility/1114382

I know I am very disappointed :confused:

Would you believe I still recall dear Pope Benedict’s edict on recycling every time I have an empty can or bottle in my hand?
There must be something in all this for each of us to learn?

How?

Yes, it seems like someone at the Vatican is giving bad advice. Don’t worry about it. After all, once again the speach is short on specifics.

Pax
Linus2nd

There is a question in my mind as to whether the Pope actually said this, on whether the reporter behind this story quite got it right. I expect though this will become clear in follow-up news reports.

we should all respect God’s creation. the babies and the environment.:slight_smile:

I am regularly reminded how fortunate we are that there are always people here on CAF who know more than the Pope about every subject under the sun, theological and otherwise.

This is politics, not theology. I highly doubt that the Pope has ever read a scholarly article on global warming . . er . . climate change. The Pope is a political leftist–maybe a flat-out Marxist.

Why would the pope be a Marxist?

And this is more science than politics. Global warming/ climate change, has been scientifically experimented and we should stop it before it gets worse.

There are many, many, many scientists who disagree that it is anywhere near as dangerous as the Pope suggests. Just like the federal government, the Catholic Church should be very wary of straying from its areas of competence.

Hi, I really disagree about the pope and his statement about climate change. I feel his has little or no expertise in this field. I would prefer he talks more about Catholicism .

Does that make me any less catholic to question the popes understanding of climatology ?

But why do you question his understanding?
Why?
Do you know to what extent he may or may not have studied the subject?
The pope is obviously a very intelligent and learned man and also has highly educated experts at his fingertips.
He would hardly speak in public about a subject he does not understand well.
He often speaks on other topics besides specifically Catholicism.

catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1405155.htm

Time running out to tackle global warming, pope tells climate summit

By Carol Glatz
Catholic News Service

VATICAN CITY (CNS) – Tackling the problem of climate change is a serious ethical and moral responsibility, Pope Francis told negotiators from around the world meeting for a climate summit in Lima, Peru.

“The time to find global solutions is running out. We can find adequate solutions only if we act together and unanimously,” he said in a written message to Manuel Pulgar-Vidal, Peru’s minister of the environment and host president of the 20th U.N. Climate Change Conference.

Thousands of negotiators from 195 countries gathered for the meeting in Lima Dec. 1-12 to hammer out details of a new international agreement to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases that cause global warming.

The Vatican released a copy of the pope’s message Dec. 11.

The pope encouraged the leaders in their discussions because their decisions will “affect all of humanity, especially the poorest and future generations. What’s more, it represents a serious ethical and moral responsibility.”

The impact climate change already has been having on coastal regions and other areas “reminds us of the seriousness of negligence and inaction,” he said. It is morally imperative that people act.

“An effective fight against global warming will be possible only with a collective and responsible answer” that overcomes one-sided or special interests and is “free from political and economic influence,” he said.

The pope said the leaders’ response will have to “overcome distrust; promote a culture of solidarity, encounter and dialogue; and be capable of showing responsibility for protecting the planet and the human family.”

END

Many Catholics including myself and others on this forum feel the pope is wrong and climate change is a hoax. So my question is , is it acceptable to believe the pope is falliable with topics such as climate change ?

Everyone has their own opinions, I suppose.
I assume someone else who is a Catholic expert can comment on how “acceptable” it is for you to disagree with the pope on an issue.

But whether it is acceptable or not to some, I can’t see how it is wise.
Why would you disagree with him on such an important topic when you trust him on so many others?
My question to you is: Do you not think the pope would have investigated this topic thoroughly before speaking on it?

Ah, but it is still dangerous. Therefore we should prevent such a danger from happening.

With the Holy Father’s chemistry background, I think he knows what he is talking about.

While I agree with the pope on his take of climate change, it doesn’t make you less Catholic.

And with his background in chemistry I think he knows what he is talking about. Not to judge, but I assume you have little expertise on climate change? Therefore who are you to talk about climate change as well?

Catholicism isn’t an oil company or the Republican party. It is Christ’s church, and we should keep God’s creation alive and not pollute God’s green earth. Now that is a real conservative ideal.

The pope is obviously a very intelligent and learned man and also has highly educated experts at his fingertips.

He would hardly speak in public about a subject he does not understand well.

Where are these compliments when the Pope speaks about so-called gay “marriage” and abortion?

And with his background in chemistry I think he knows what he is talking about.

A “background in chemistry” doesn’t even begin to describe the knowledge necessary to understand this.

Not to judge, but I assume you have little expertise on climate change? Therefore who are you to talk about climate change as well?

Other users should not be discussed on the News forums.:tsktsk: Please (re)read the rules. :yup:

Catholicism isn’t an oil company or the Republican party.

Funny, Democrat-supporting unions are also at odds with the issue, and I’m sorry to say that some in the GOP by the line of total AGW nonsense.

Oh, and those oil companies also have given money to the Democratic Party.

It is Christ’s church, and we should keep God’s creation alive and not pollute God’s green earth.

Policies that address global warming are actually more harmful to the environment and it makes my job harder.

I could spend an entire 1000 posts touching on how alternative energy development has led to extinction of species and considerable damage to conservation projects, which we’ve invested millions of dollars in.

This is what happens when one-dimensional thinking is applied, the peer review process as well as academic freedom is compromised, and Catholics run around desperately trying to find a cause other abortion or so-called gay “marriage” to rub elbows with secular progressives on.

The lies, scandal and personal selfishness run so deep here that it’s impossible for me to have any kind of conversation about “science”.

Now that is a real conservative ideal.

Thinking the UN or the American federal government can save the world is not a conservative ideal, and they cannot. Believe me, I’ve worked for both.

A secular topic like global warming has nothing at all to do with papal infallibility. Most laypersons should just forget the term papal infallibility.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.